Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome, Brett VandenBergh!

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Welcome, Brett VandenBergh!

Mr. Burgundy has informed me that Brett VandenBergh, a 6'5" junior forward from De Pere, Wisconsin, has verbally committed to the Bison men's basketball program for the 2012 season. VandenBergh is a high school teammate of Chris Kading (joining the Bison in 2011) and the sibling of former Bison volleyball star Brooke VandenBergh. VandenBergh also had a scholarship offer from South Dakota State.

VandenBergh is regarded as a "physically strong wing player who can stroke it from downtown as well as connect on mid-range jump shots."

VandenBergh and Kading led De Pere to the runner-up spot in this season's Wisconsin Division 1 high school tournament. The Redbirds lost a 3-overtime heartbreaker in the final to traditional powerhouse Madison Memorial. VandenBergh was outstanding in the post-season, and he was widely considered one of the top players in the state tournament. Many observers felt that he clearly outplayed highly touted Memorial star Junior Lomomba in a head-to-head matchup in the final.

I have personally seen VandenBergh play at a summer camp. He brings a high degree of toughness and vocal leadership to the table. He definitely has a D-1 body and he physically reminds me of Brett Winkleman--after Winks had about 3 years in the NDSU weight room. He played on an outstanding high school team this year with a couple of excellent seniors, but VandenBergh often was assigned to guard the opposition's best player, such as Lomomba of Madison Memorial and even future Bison PG Joel Lindberg of Superior in the state quarterfinal.

VandenBergh is currently listed on the roster of the nationally ranked Wisconsin Playground Warriors (AAU) program.
    His teammates include wing JP Tokoto (committed to North Carolina), forward Sam Dekker (committed to Wisconsin), and point guard Bronson Koenig (offers from North Carolina, Wisconsin, Marquette, etc.), among other notables.

This is an outstanding start on the 2012 recruiting class for Saul Phillips and his staff. I anticipate that the Bison will have a total of two scholarships available in that class to replace seniors-to-be Eric Carlson and Drew Lundberg, so there may be only one more spot available in that class.

It is another great day to be a Bison!!
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

Default Re: Welcome, Brett VandenBergh!

Great news for a Wednesday morning!

Congrats to Brett and welcome to Bison Nation...

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I had a feeling that was gonna be the news, that's great news for the team and a great get early for the coaching staff.

Gotta like his initials.

Welcome aboard, Brett!

Fantastic news! Welcome to NDSU, Brett!
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Was a good interview with Brett and his high school coach tonight on Izzo's Den. No doubt he's glad to be a Bison!

This has been a lock for a long time, but I am glad he made the verbal. This is a kid I really wanted. He is TOUGH, and that is what this team needs. He will play alot/mostly at the Small Forward spot and give this team added toughness. I saw him play this summer and he looks like a man already. He loves to compete. Very complete player. I think he has the leadership abilities that we need. Exciting recruit. Good kid too. Welcome to NDSU.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    This has been a lock for a long time, but I am glad he made the verbal. This is a kid I really wanted. He is TOUGH, and that is what this team needs. He will play alot/mostly at the Small Forward spot and give this team added toughness. I saw him play this summer and he looks like a man already. He loves to compete. Very complete player. I think he has the leadership abilities that we need. Exciting recruit. Good kid too. Welcome to NDSU.

Sounds like a guy we use to have a couple years ago....hope so!

How much does this kid weigh?? I hear people saying he's bulky already.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    How much does this kid weigh?? I hear people saying he's bulky already.
    The number I read was 208. That said, I've seen his height listed everywhere between 6'3 and 6'6.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!