Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UNO Cancelling Football

Default UNO Cancelling Football

I know some of the players from Nebraska Omaha teams that were contacted by NDSU to see if they were interested in possibly coming up to Fargo. May be a chance to strengthen our roster. I think most would have to come without a scholarship. I feel bad for the players because of the timing of the decision since scholarship can't be given to a lot of players especially the seniors on the team. I know some were contacted last year but decided to stay closer to home. Another great reason to develop a strong athletic program surrounding a great football organization. All sports revolve and are sussessful around football because of revenue. UNO athletic program has diminished with the problems with the AD and other issues internally. The football attendance is down tremendously leading to a 1.3 million deficit.

Lightbulb Re: UNO Cancelling Football

None would start for us, let them goto Sdsu,usd...they need the help

Default Re: UNO Cancelling Football

I felt the shutting down of the UNO football program was a very sad day. Coach Burns had turned them into a very respectable program, despite very little interest due to a much more visible program. I'd always hoped they would make the jump up with NDSU, but after I looked at the numbers, not sure what they were supposed to do other than consider non-scholarship football. (And if they did that, it would be about the same as shutting the program down....)

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninHuskerland View Post
    I know some of the players from Nebraska Omaha teams that were contacted by NDSU to see if they were interested in possibly coming up to Fargo.
    UN-O usually has some excellent offensive linemen. Tough deal for the UN-O football program and their players.

Kind of tough to transfer up a division because they'd have to sit out a year. Maybe this year's signing class would be allowed to go elsewhere without sitting out.

This should also make recruiting in Nebraska a little bit easier now. Especially since they wouldn't have another DI football program in the state. Not saying that we'd get out recruited by UNO.

Notorious is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    UN-O usually has some excellent offensive linemen. Tough deal for the UN-O football program and their players.

Kind of tough to transfer up a division because they'd have to sit out a year. Maybe this year's signing class would be allowed to go elsewhere without sitting out.
    I wonder if, due to the circumstances, players would be allowed to tranfer freely??...also, I agree with you...there are always some very good players at UNO...I would guess a handful could contribute.

"Bisonville Poster of the Year - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012"

"Hustler Man of the Year - 2011 & 2012"

"1977 Pinewood Derby Champion - Southwestern North Dakota"

"Chub's Pub & 4-10 Club Hall of Fame - 2012

"Voted Biggest DICK on Bisonville"

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Wasn't UNO looking at moving all of their programs to DI just a couple of years ago?

I wonder how much of this is due to the financial drain of having DI hockey? At the very least, I guess they still have hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    I wonder if, due to the circumstances, players would be allowed to tranfer freely??...also, I agree with you...there are always some very good players at UNO...I would guess a handful could contribute.
    Typically. when a program is eliminated, the NCAA allows instant eligibility. The players aren't transferring from one existing program to another. The old program is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Typically. when a program is eliminated, the NCAA allows instant eligibility. The players aren't transferring from one existing program to another. The old program is gone.
    That makes sense to me. Too bad UN-O didn't make this announcement before the spring semester started.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    I wonder how much of this is due to the financial drain of having DI hockey? At the very least, I guess they still have hockey
    Actually, football and wrestling are the drain at UNO. After these changes, UNO Hockey will be the revenue-positive program to run the whole UNO Athletic department.