Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Omaha Herald: UNO plans to move DI, will drop football and wrestling

Default Omaha Herald: UNO plans to move DI, will drop football and wrestling

Wow I never saw this coming....

The University of Nebraska at Omaha appears bound for Division I in athletics, and the chance to compete at the highest level of college sports may well come at the expense of its tradition-rich football and wrestling programs.

UNO Chancellor John Christensen and Athletic Director Trev Alberts said Saturday they are recommending to the NU Board of Regents that UNO join the Summit League, a 10-team conference that competes at the NCAA Division I level. League officials on Friday extended an official invitation, UNO's ticket to Division I.

But as part of a department reorganization that would accompany the step up in competition, the UNO leaders are proposing to drop football and wrestling — sports not sanctioned for competition in the Summit League.

Faced with growing expenses and flat revenues that caused increasing infusions of state dollars into its budget, the athletic department just couldn't continue on its current course, campus leaders said. That subsidy growth has come as the university has made millions of other budget cuts to academic and other programs across campus, and it's facing more now
    http://www.omaha.com/article/2011031...-and-wrestling
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Default Re: Omaha Herald: UNO plans to move DI, will drop football and wrestling

The new Summit League....the travel partner setup will be just about perfect...

ORU-UMKC(244 miles apart)
    UNO-USD(134 miles)
    SDSU-NDSU(190 miles)
    WIU-IUPUI(266 miles)
    Oakland-IPFW(208 miles)

Default Re: Omaha Herald: UNO plans to move DI, will drop football and wrestling

Day-Ahm . . .

Somebody quick put a manly raise into Douple's contract . . .

That man's got cojones . . .

Wow, tough for football, but it makes sense. I kind of expected that SCSU was going to take that route (dropping football but going DI) moreso than UNO.

The Omaha Herald also had a good column talking about how bittersweet the move is but that it is ultimately the right move....

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110312/SPORTS/703129742

It is interesting to note that Behrens does have OC experience in his resume.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Sign him. Screw Uno, our conference becomes more rinky dink....lame o !!

Quote Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
    Sign him. Screw Uno, our conference becomes more rinky dink....lame o !!
    You have made several thousand moronic posts in your time on bisonville.com but yet manage to continually set new and higher standards in the field of hysterical nitwittery. Congratulations, Lois, you are an inspiration to NDSU-haters everywhere.

I thought that it would take you at least 6 months to post something as inane as this.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    The Omaha Herald also had a good column talking about how bittersweet the move is but that it is ultimately the right move....

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110312/SPORTS/703129742
    It was a decent column until I read this...

"UNO is not the state's school. UNO can never be UNL. It can't be North Dakota, which is the UNL of its state, with all the subsidized benefits of being the big dog."

Too much Butthockey influence there...

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    The new Summit League....the travel partner setup will be just about perfect...

ORU-UMKC(244 miles apart)
    UNO-USD(134 miles)
    SDSU-NDSU(190 miles)
    WIU-IUPUI(266 miles)
    Oakland-IPFW(208 miles)
    Just as long as some clown does not go NDSU/UNO and USD/SDSU
    I like yours better.