Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you value the Bison?

Default How do you value the Bison?

Alright, let's pretend the Summit league is like the NBA where trades are allowed, and we want to evaluate the trade values of the Bison starting with the most indespensible player, to the least. You need to take everything into account (talent, position, years remaining, etc) Here is my take. (I am going to skip Lindberg/Kaeding for now since I truly don't know how they will be as college players although I have extreme high hopes for both) I will also skip Hale/Wilson as I've never seen them play regular season college hoops, but if others feel more comfortable evaluating them I'd like to see them included.

1. Marshall Bjorklund - I wanted so bad to put Taylor Braun here, but at the end of the day, a true post is just too tough to replace. No one would be shocked if he becomes a consistent 20/10 guy even next year. He needs to improve on defense, but he's the guy I'd feel the worst about seeing on another team.
    2. Taylor Braun - Good governor, what a stud. The only weakness I can think of is his outside shot and that improved as the season went on. His explosiveness on the break is breathtaking. He is very creative in getting to the basket, and he could possibly be our shut down defender against a stud that plays the 1, 2, 3, or 4. He's that good. Looking at him now, it's hard to believe he sat our a year because he appeared too skinny. Body type wise, we lost two 'men' this year. These top two guys look like men already.
    3. TrayVonn Wright - If nothing else, the marketing department would kill me if I traded him. His ceiling is off the charts. He's more than a skinny guy that can jump out of the gym. He is extremely coordinated, has wide shoulders, and a pretty looking shot that just seemed a little long all year during games. He may be skinny/wiry, but don't confuse that with weak. He gets off the floor so quickly. As great as his offense was in the ORU game, he was getting bounced around pretty good so if he can gain weight and improve positioning it will absolutely help. I have a feeling for him the thickest he could ever get is like a KG. I'll take it.
    4. Jordan Aaberg - It gets more difficult now as there's definitely a drop off after the first 3. He's a swat machine and can definitely anchor a defense. It would have been nice to have him to pair with Bjorklund when we need to go big against a major D1 team like the U of M or if we ever have to face another Aldrich.
    5. Mike Felt - Could easily have been 4 on the list. An excellent shot. When he shoots free throws/threes its way different than anyone else on the Bison or maybe even the Summit. His shots don't hit all net, they hit the middle of the net. Hopefully he gets stronger and better with the dribble so he can take care of the ball much better. His defense has improved alot throughout the year, but can still get better. I'd love to see him get strong enough to start at the 2 because you have to respect him which will open up the lane.
    6. Eric Carlson - Admittedly he gets hurt alot here because he only has one year left. There were times in 2009-2010 season I thought he was our best player. He needs to shoot a load of 15 footers this offseason, and free throws. Then, he has to get back into attack the rim beast bode. Plus, he needs to learn if you put your shoulder into your defender you will get called for a charge every time.
    7. Drew Lundberg - He could move up a couple spots on this list if Lindberg/Hale/last recruit spot don't pan out. He is absolutely solid. Drives well, shoots well (although it looks funny), has great body control on drives, and is actually pretty clutch. He just doesn't seem to have a ton of upside, and I have to confess his rooster strut type of thing he does when bringing the ball up for some reason annoys me. I know, my problem, not his.
    8. Andy Nagel - His fouls alone have to be worth something. It sounds like he's incredibly tough in practice, but seems out of control during games alot (charges, bad defensive fouls, etc) He could still be quite valuable his last two years as he has a big body and is fairly athletic. Next year will probably go from being a below average backup center to a way above average 3rd string center.
    9. Nate Zastrow - He has a very quick release and is a nice shooter. He is not afraid to step up in the spot light. He just may fall into a situation where he's a good player playing behind great players.
    10. Fred Newell - Does everything right and everything you ask of him. Great ball handler, nice shot, pesky defender. Just tough to be a 5'7" walk on with heart on this deep/talented of a team.

My gut feel is Lindberg could be top 4 pretty quickly, Kaeding/Hale right in that Carlson range, and Damar behind Lundberg but ahead of Nagel.

Default Re: How do you value the Bison?

Im curious to see who ends up the best overall player out of the 3 at the end of the journey.

Braun, bjorklund, wright.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Not sure I dig trying to assign "values" to players....but glancing at the idea I think TrayVonn has the serious potential to be the "#1." You can't put a value on a guy that crashes the boards like he does, has a touch from deep (how about 3-3 against ORU?) and can finish at the rim at will.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

For the upcoming season I would rearrange the top just slightly. Since Aaberg is coming back I think that scales back the value of Bjorklund a little bit.

Taylor Braun is going to take this team places because he has the skills to take over a game, his shot will come along and he will be the most dangerous all around player and his swagger just gives this team a different attitude.

Trayvonn is 2nd simply because he showed in the ORU game what he is capable of. Rebounding and blocking shots and dunking all over the place were evident all season, but pure scoring was new and he showed his potential to be a double double machine just like Braun.

Bjorklund lands here. Guy is a terror in the post on offense but has a little ways to go on defense, Aaberg being exactly the opposite so they will work well together. What I have noticed is he does tend to get a little fatigued over the course of the game and so I'd like to see him step up his conditioning a bit, it's a lot of work playing in the post with the likes of guys like Bell-Holter.

Felt steps up to number 4 as far as I'm concerned. With the offense we run with a lot of movement and guys slashing and trying to get to the basket there is nothing more valuable than a guy to kick-out to to bury the 3. Oakland has the same thing in Bader and guys like this can break open a game or cut into a deficit quickly, Felt's 3 treys against SDSU put the nail in the coffin in that game and it's only the beginning of him developing as a scorer.

From there I'd say you pretty much have it correct, I'd go Aaberg, Carlson then Lundberg after. I'm guessing Hale, Wilson and Lindberg will step and contribute and there's your 10 man rotation. When you place value on the players and nobody in the top 5 is older than a sophomore, that's a good sign for things to come.

All this being said the value is not based on individuals, but on how they work as a team and as far as I'm concerned our TEAM value is rising in a hurry.
    Last edited by bisonfan08; 03-10-2011 at 02:43 PM.

At home Trayvonn wins you games more than any of the others. He injects pure adreniline and testosterone into the BSA when he about shatters backboards on some of those crazy ass dunks.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by 344Johnson View Post
    At home Trayvonn wins you games more than any of the others. He injects pure adreniline and testosterone into the BSA when he about shatters backboards on some of those crazy ass dunks.
    TrayVonn, Braun, & Bjorkland can do that as well after watching the SDSU game. Im very pleased to have 3 more years with these guys. The future is very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by herdmember View Post
    1. Marshall Bjorklund
    2. Taylor Braun
    3. TrayVonn Wright
    4. Jordan Aaberg
    5. Mike Felt
    Your top 5 will all be sophomores next year. Any thoughts on another big NCAA run in 2014? Hopefully the SHAC will be built before then so we can truely enjoy Bison basketball.

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Northside Bison View Post
    Your top 5 will all be sophomores next year. Any thoughts on another big NCAA run in 2014? Hopefully the SHAC will be built before then so we can truely enjoy Bison basketball.
    don't hold your breath on that

Quote Originally Posted by Northside Bison View Post
    Keep in mind the criteria I'm using, where I'm valueing them based on everything (including age). If Carlson was a sophomore, he too would be in the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by herdmember View Post
    Keep in mind the criteria I'm using, where I'm valueing them based on everything (including age). If Carlson was a sophomore, he too would be in the top 5.
    I see what you are saying. Because for next year, Carlson would obviously be in the top 5. At least on my list.