Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bison vs Jacks - Part Deaux

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bison vs Jacks - Part Deaux

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    It might have something to do with the product on the floor. I went to a game this past year and it was very painful to watch.
    When I was in school in the early 90s it was not unusual for the women to have bigger crowds than the men and the UND game was usually packed. I think it's safe to say we have a better team now than then since we've moved from DII to DI. We are definitely in a better conference. It's not just the product on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    When I was in school in the early 90s it was not unusual for the women to have bigger crowds than the men and the UND game was usually packed. I think it's safe to say we have a better team now than then since we've moved from DII to DI. We are definitely in a better conference. It's not just the product on the court.
    IMO that isnt safe to say. From what Ive seen of this team I dont think they could beat the old teams of D2.
    Regardless of the competition you can tell if a team is good or bad. As I said---they were painful to watch.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

steelbison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    IMO that isnt safe to say. From what Ive seen of this team I dont think they could beat the old teams of D2.
    Regardless of the competition you can tell if a team is good or bad. As I said---they were painful to watch.
    Totally agree. No way this team is better than the teams from the glory days.

I've said this before and I will say it again. My wife is a HUGE WB fan. She doesn't even want to go to the games anymore because the product is unwatchable!!

The debate about whether the Bison women's basketball teams of the 90s is better than the 2011 version is one that can't be won or lost. That said, the 90s version didn't have to face many teams with above average athletes. You can look pretty good, especially on the offensive side of the ball, when opponents don't have much foot speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcher View Post
    The debate about whether the Bison women's basketball teams of the 90s is better than the 2011 version is one that can't be won or lost. That said, the 90s version didn't have to face many teams with above average athletes. You can look pretty good, especially on the offensive side of the ball, when opponents don't have much foot speed.
    Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. If the WBB team didn't look good the day 56Bison73 saw them, it was probably had a lot more to do with the other team playing tough D than with talent level. I've seen some outstanding basketball from the WBB team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. If the WBB team didn't look good the day 56Bison73 saw them, it was probably had a lot more to do with the other team playing tough D than with talent level. I've seen some outstanding basketball from the WBB team this year.
    In comparison, the Jacks are definitely better than D-II days, even when winning a national title. Getting into the NCAA D-I play-offs, and especially getting some first round wins would not have occurred with the D-II quality teams. Bison play well, and even took it to the Jacks this season. So by extension, the Bison WBB is better than in the D-II days. Deeper, more schollie, and getting the best players in the region. Bison have come forward also.

Greenie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Serious question...

How much more time does DeHoff get to start producing an improving product? The other women's teams at NDSU have all been successful in DI, why can't women's bball get it going forward?

I have been frustrated with the men's team from time to time the past 2 years, but at least you can see the developing talent and the team seems to play hard almost every night, and generally the losses are in the single digits. There seems to be a solid plan here; can't say the same about the women's team.

steelbison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Serious question...

How much more time does DeHoff get to start producing an improving product? The other women's teams at NDSU have all been successful in DI, why can't women's bball get it going forward?

I have been frustrated with the men's team from time to time the past 2 years, but at least you can see the developing talent and the team seems to play hard almost every night, and generally the losses are in the single digits. There seems to be a solid plan here; can't say the same about the women's team.
    Totally agree!!

Back to the point of comparing teams. Name me one player that has played in the past 7-8 years that is better than

Morlock
    Smykowski
    Even
    Steere
    Schmidt

I could go on and on as that is just a start. If Div I is so much better why did we beat teams like Minnesota and Kentucky in our first couple of years of transition? Those were Div 2 recruits and actually the talent on those teams paled in comparison to the late 80's to mid 90 teams.

Sorry but I have been to a lot of WB games over the years. To say these teams are more talented in my opinion than the glory days is a joke...