Page 986 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 486886936976984985986987988996 ... LastLast
Results 9,851 to 9,860 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Quote Originally Posted by KC Bison View Post
    I'm selling all my popcorn stock. The show is over.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Damn those savages, so hostile and abusive. Did the American indians somehow get rights to that name? All sorts of savages throughout the world. But then all the "progressives" deemed this wrong and brought us into the politically correct world........where terrorists are just upset people and handicapped means challenged. Thank god for these idiots as some lemmings would not know where to find the cliff.
    Well, Dickinson State made it pretty clear which savages they were referring too. Anyway, back in the late '60s and early '70s, Indian students at both Dickinson State and UND protested because they didn't like being used as mascots. Here's what Dickinson State's President said:

I have recommended to the State Board of Higher Education that the nickname Savages, Indian theme, slogans, symbols and rituals be discontinued. As an institution of higher learning, it behooves us to exercise a leadership role which works toward helping to solve the problems relating to social and human understanding. We pride ourselves at Dickinson State College in promulgating the worth and dignity of the individual regardless of race or creed.
    I'd say Dickinson State acted more like a flagship in that one paragraph than UND has in its entire history.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Well, Dickinson State made it pretty clear which savages they were referring too. Anyway, back in the late '60s and early '70s, Indian students at both Dickinson State and UND protested because they didn't like being used as mascots. Here's what Dickinson State's President said:

I'd say Dickinson State acted more like a flagship in that one paragraph than UND has in its entire history.
    Boom!! And to think that was 3+ decades ago.

And one couldn't be more articulate in stating his point. Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post

Yep and those Indians have improved their own lot so much since then. I think their problems are much deeper than a nickname. But then college presidents, lawyers and bureaucrats always think thay know better than everyone else........keep it up and they will destroy this country.

perthbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post

And one couldn't be more articulate in stating his point. Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone.
    That was very articulate. I think that is the first time I've seen the word "promulgating" used in a statement.

But then college presidents, lawyers and bureaucrats always think thay know better than everyone else........keep it up and they will destroy this country.
    So you are saying that Dickinson State's President overreacted?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

Now they make an effing movie.... FFS.

I would hope they get both sides of the issue. good luck raising 50,000 bucks, also.

Yep and those Indians have improved their own lot so much since then. I think their problems are much deeper than a nickname. But then college presidents, lawyers and bureaucrats always think thay know better than everyone else........keep it up and they will destroy this country.
    I am pretty sure those Native Americans who opposed the nicknames in the first place weren't banking on these changes completely altering the culture both internally manifested and externally corrupted. It doesn't change the fact there were some who were sick and tired of being characterized as a mascot. I am sure there is no disagreement with the NA population their problems are deeper than a nickname but why are they only allowed to tackle one issue at a time and work through the most difficult first before the nickname issue could be addressed. It would still be there. Even if their culture was transformed from the marginalized to problem free, the nickname issue would have still been there.

Now they have a victory to work from. In the big scheme of things, it probably is a small victory, but a victory nonetheless. This isn't a political correctness attack, it is moral common sense. To have their culture characterized in a way they don't want is derogatory. Their lot in life wasn't completely created by themselves. Internment, failed treaties, and other external failures played a part. We are way past being the conquering party in all of this.

Will changing NA nicknames completely fix their culture? No. Is it a small victory which may lead to further steps in improving their lot in live? Maybe but in itself probably not. Does changing the nickname remove the reminder they were a marginalized group with no say in being used as a mascot for a culture they had very little stake in? Yes. You don't have to agree we owe them that, but it is still the right thing to do. While I do know those in North Dakota, for example, take a lot of the stereotypes bestowed on us in jest, there is still a line. We see that line when others have gone too far and are quickly admonished for crossing over. Why shouldn't we extend that same respect to others?

Quote Originally Posted by OatmealWicket92 View Post

I would hope they get both sides of the issue. good luck raising 50,000 bucks, also.
    Fantastic! Even Porterhouse makes an appearance!
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by OatmealWicket92 View Post

Awesome. The more they raise the less they will have to spend on their teams. I hope they raise a million dollars, and spend 5 million more drowning their sorrows after watching it.