Page 937 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 437837887927935936937938939947987 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,370 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    This is true. In fact the whole Native American Council on the national level weighed in. In the negitive.
    We must also remember, our idea of offensive is truely different than theirs up north
    It bothers me when, supposedly, professional "Journalists" like the Herald employs continue to frame this in an incorrect context.

The NCAA wasn't on a crusade of their own initiative. They were responding, in large part, to complaints they were receiving from the Tribes themselves. Sure, there were also other groups raising the issue. That's far less important.

Yet, demands like Standing Rock's never get acknowledged.

Bisonwinagn is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This political progressive agenda that has ruined this country is absolutely disgusting. As much as I hate UND I'm glad they are standing their ground as much as possible. I'm hoping UND will remove all literature, funding, textbooks, classes, or any Native American history from campus to completely rid themselves of this burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonwinagn View Post
    This political progressive agenda that has ruined this country is absolutely disgusting. As much as I hate UND I'm glad they are standing their ground as much as possible. I'm hoping UND will remove all literature, funding, textbooks, classes, or any Native American history from campus to completely rid themselves of this burden.
    Ha... This process should be a conservatives dream. A private organization decides to police itself by making its own rules with the consent of the majority of its members. Members that do not conform have an opportunity to negotiate a solution. It's the pro - nickname folks who brought a government entity in to try to regulate this.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Ha... This process should be a conservatives dream. A private organization decides to police itself by making its own rules with the consent of the majority of its members. Members that do not conform have an opportunity to negotiate a solution. It's the pro - nickname folks who brought a government entity in to try to regulate this.
    ^^ This ^^ und brought this on themselves, IMHO, by not building and maintaining positive relationships with the tribes. They can't play the "Victim Card" on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Except in this case the conservative private process is promoting a progressive adgenda.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Except in this case the conservative private process is promoting a progressive adgenda.
    Of course you're ignoring the part about indigenous people asking you to stop using their culture in a manner that leads it to be disrespected.

Should the NCAA have ignored those requests? Do you know how far you have to stick your head up your arse to get that one wrong?

The broader policy came from the membership, not the Native American community.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    The broader policy came from the membership, not the Native American community.
    So what? Have you read the SR Tribal Resolution and noted the date?

That carries more weight than anything else I can think of and I find it interesting how so many morons from Grand Forks always change the discussion when it is pointed out.

UND had decades to do something to avoid this. I have zero sympathy for people who insist on trying to rewrite history to fit their flawed narrative. Especially when reality ends up biting them in the arse.

My point is that the NCAA is a assembly of organizations who decided that they are interested in the atmosphere of there events. That it wasn't NA specific or driven.

I agree completely about UND owning this failure. They couldnt have handled it.much worse.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    My point is that the NCAA is a assembly of organizations who decided that they are interested in the atmosphere of there events. That it wasn't NA specific or driven.

I agree completely about UND owning this failure. They couldnt have handled it.much worse.
    I can accept your position to a point. However, the policy was NA nickname and imagery specific. How much of that was directly driven by Tribes and how much was outside groups is debatable. There is no question the NCAA is a group driven by a Progressive agenda.

Actually, my original point, and the biggest gripe I have is with the people who only blame the NCAA, pretend the Tribes aren't generally opposed to the nickname, and want intelligent people to actually believe UND couldn't see this coming.