Page 887 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 387787837877885886887888889897937987 ... LastLast
Results 8,861 to 8,870 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Kelley used words that gave him an "out" on adding the "no name" back into the mix..................and many people picked up on that double speak immediately.

But let's be honest here, I think there's no way that he doesn't at least let a vote on all 6 names (including "no name") happen. If he pulls consideration now, he might as well leave his post immediately. And then they (teh hockies supporters and benefactors) would just get another president who would ultimately decree that the vote with 6 names (or less) WILL happen.

And there is still a lot of "stuff" to wade through on how and who this vote will take place with. The smaller and more discerning the vote populace, the better chances for "no name". The larger the voting sample, the better for one of the other so-called "choices" to win, but without a clear majority, of course (another reason why 5 choices came out of the committee instead of 3). Either way, you can be damn well sure that a vote on "no name" is going to happen, one way or the other.
    Unfortunately, or rejoicingly (depending on how you view this fiasco) this is far from over, folks.......................and in fact, I think it's just now getting STARTED!

(In a completely unrelated note, I just got done upping my holdings of popcorn stock. )
    I think what Kelly may be trying to do is not get fired before he can bring a formal end to this fiasco. The actually end is probably another 50 years away but it would be good for the long-term health of the university for this to be officially over before the next President is selected. If it isn't there's a 100% chance that they'll end up with some empty suit that'll do exactly what the REA tells him to do. They may end up with that guy anyway, but if Kelly can get a new nickname before he goes then at least they have a chance to move forward.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Whether they like Kelley or not, they let their representatives hire him in the first place. If they don't like they way he's running the university, they need to take it up with those who hired him. He's trying to do what's best for the university and it's not fitting the mold of some extremists. If I'm Kelley, I'm sticking to what the committee came to him with and moving on. Take it to a vote. Pick a name. Make all necessary changes to implement said new name and get out. He knows what needs to be done and needs to quit listening to people who are so scared of losing something that is already gone. But like has been said before, "the public" will make this process very entertaining.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I think what Kelly may be trying to do is not get fired before he can bring a formal end to this fiasco. The actually end is probably another 50 years away but it would be good for the long-term health of the university for this to be officially over before the next President is selected. If it isn't there's a 100% chance that they'll end up with some empty suit that'll do exactly what the REA tells him to do. They may end up with that guy anyway, but if Kelly can get a new nickname before he goes then at least they have a chance to move forward.
    You might be right, audit, but I just don't see any way forward at this point.............no matter what happens. The alternative names, in my opinion, are just not anything that a college community can coalesce around, and this whole process hasn't helped that hoped for coalescence in any way, shape or form.

As I've said in an earlier post, the names put forward by the committee just do not have any grassroots support behind them, and for good reason.

Again, everyone imagine that we've just lost the Bison nickname at NDSU, and we have to pick a new one. Here are your choices that would be most equivalent to what UND has put forward:

Sun Halos
    Nodaks
    Fighting Bulls
    Vikings
    Spartans

So go ahead, pick one of those, and then tell me that the NDSU community is going to move forward with it. It just simply wouldn't happen, and we are a much more sensible fan base . The chances for them coming together up there over this slate of names..........are slim and none! (IMHO, of course )

You might be right, audit, but I just don't see any way forward at this point.............no matter what happens. The alternative names, in my opinion, are just not anything that a college community can coalesce around, and this whole process hasn't helped that hoped for coalescence in any way, shape or form.

As I've said in an earlier post, the names put forward by the committee just do not have any grassroots support behind them, and for good reason.

Again, everyone imagine that we've just lost the Bison nickname at NDSU, and we have to pick a new one. Here are your choices that would be most equivalent to what UND has put forward:

Sun Halos
    Nodaks
    Fighting Bulls
    Vikings
    Spartans

So go ahead, pick one of those, and then tell me that the NDSU community is going to move forward with it. It just simply wouldn't happen, and we are a much more sensible fan base . The chances for them coming together up there over this slate of names..........are slim and none! (IMHO, of course )
    I don't think for one second that this would come to pass at NDSU. The media outcry and legislative red tape surrounding funding this fiasco with public dollars would make this method a nonstarter.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    I don't think for one second that this would come to pass at NDSU. The media outcry and legislative red tape surrounding funding this fiasco with public dollars would make this method a nonstarter.
    Agreed. And certainly NDSU would have come up with a much, much better list of names (I would hope! ).

I'm just trying to give some idea of the equivalency that a horse-crap committee process foisted upon our good friends to the North.

This is not going to end well..............or soon.

The difference is that if NDSU had to drop the Bison name and pick a new one, it wouldn't take 10 years of fighting, suing the NCAA, arguing, debating, enacting laws, having statewide votes, and other crap to try and keep it. I would like to think that NDSU, kind of like every other school that made this list 10 years ago, would move on quickly. Would I be pissed that the Bison name would be gone? Sure. Bison Pride, Once a Bison Always a Bison, cheers of "Let's Go Bison" mean something to every Bison fan. But being an NDSU fan and a fan of NDSU athletics is more then just cheering for a mascot. It is about loyalty to programs, athletes, coaches, and each other as a fan base. I would support and cheer for the NDSU Roughriders just as hard as I do for the NDSU Bison. That is the difference between NDSU fans and a lot of UND fans. We don't cheer for a logo, we cheer for a program. The pride and respect for the history of NDSU athletic teams has more to do with the fact that they are NDSU, not a nickname. It's a different way of thinking that all NDSU fans have. UND fans will never get that about us. But I am damn proud of the programs I cheer for, not just the logo they have.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Sun Halos
    Nodaks
    Fighting Bulls
    Vikings
    Spartans

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Personally I would be upset right away but would accept it. I support my alma mater not some colors and an image.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    The difference is that if NDSU had to drop the Bison name and pick a new one, it wouldn't take 10 years of fighting, suing the NCAA, arguing, debating, enacting laws, having statewide votes, and other crap to try and keep it. I would like to think that NDSU, kind of like every other school that made this list 10 years ago, would move on quickly. Would I be pissed that the Bison name would be gone? Sure. Bison Pride, Once a Bison Always a Bison, cheers of "Let's Go Bison" mean something to every Bison fan. But being an NDSU fan and a fan of NDSU athletics is more then just cheering for a mascot. It is about loyalty to programs, athletes, coaches, and each other as a fan base. I would support and cheer for the NDSU Roughriders just as hard as I do for the NDSU Bison. That is the difference between NDSU fans and a lot of UND fans. We don't cheer for a logo, we cheer for a program. The pride and respect for the history of NDSU athletic teams has more to do with the fact that they are NDSU, not a nickname. It's a different way of thinking that all NDSU fans have. UND fans will never get that about us. But I am damn proud of the programs I cheer for, not just the logo they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
    We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Personally I would be upset right away but would accept it. I support my alma mater not some colors and an image.
    You guys are missing the point...............but that's my fault. Carry on and enjoy the show!

I'm not missing your point. The choices aren't the greatest but they aren't impossibly bad as is your opinion. That's where we will have to agree to disagree. Call us the Trojans, Magnums, French Ticklers, Winter Rainbows, Charging Bulls, Weevils, Okras, Nads, or any other name. Its still just a name and its the institution that gives it meaning and power.

Packers is not a good nickname (Seriously its modern day equivalent would be the New York Red Bulls) but the franchise's history and passionate fans make it a legitimate name.

tl;dr - roses still smell sweet even if you call them traffic cones and the whoiux will always suck.

PS I really hope they choose Sundogs. I would forever refer to them as the Winter Rainbows.

also if being able to be mocked is a sign of a bad nick name then we are going to have to talk to the Cowgirls, Viqueens, fudgepackers, iggles, bungles, aints, seachickens, cheatriots, and browns............