Page 882 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 382782832872880881882883884892932982 ... LastLast
Results 8,811 to 8,820 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Quote Originally Posted by cbline View Post
    Looks like the Forum does get it right sometimes: "In the latest iteration of the never-ending saga of selecting a new nickname for the University of North Dakota, President Robert Kelley capitulated (yes, that’s the right word) to the lunacy of the social media universe . . . ."

http://www.inforum.com/opinion/edito...-saga-near-end

"And of course, the mossbacks who cling to the retired nickname will continue to do so no matter what."

UND Mossbacks has a nice ring to it.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

I am going to take my "conspiracy theory" hat off (I still think these actual names are put forward for a purpose), and actually try to empathize with those fans that are in favor of continuing with "no nickname" but NOT because it's a defacto continuation of "Fighting Sioux" (however miniscule that certain fan base happens to be). My attempt is really hard and very dangerous (twss), so do not EVER try to do this on your own, without proper supervision! Young children, please step away from the screen at this time.
    Ok, here goes....(deep breath).............. In all objective honesty, I've got just two words - THESE NAMES SUCK!!! Is it any wonder a relatively sane person might want to stay with no name at all?!!
    Sun Dogs - What the hell? Really? How would we like to be the NDSU Sun Halos or NDSU Mock Suns (not to be confused with moccasins, which would be offensive)? I must be dreaming, or on primo Coprich weed.

Nodaks - OMG. Could you actually pick a more stupid name, even if you were trying? How would we like to be the NDSU Fardaks? Is this list an Andy Kaufmann joke or is it serious?

Fighting Hawks - Talk about a stretch. Anything with "Fighting" in it, is that the point here? How would we like to be the NDSU Jousting Herd or the NDSU Fighting Bulls? My brains cells are diminishing by the second!
    North Stars - Been there. Done that. "Hey, I've got an idea. Let's try to glom on to somebody else's history and legacy." How would we like to be the NDSU Vikings or the NDSU Sugar Kings? At least you could have gone with Polaris. Roseau's past recruiting pipeline at least deserves that nod.

Rough Riders - Ok, so you don't want to glom on to a past legacy? Then how about co-opting a local high school name ALREADY IN USE?!! (I shit you not!) How would we like to be the NDSU Bruins or the NDSU Spartans or, heaven help us, the NDSU Spuds?!!! I have now just entered another dimension of reality that I did not know existed.........and it's pretty darn scary.

Now, I ask you Bison Fans, if you had THESE names to "choose" from, wouldn't you literally be on your knees BEGGING to stay with no effin' nickname at all?

Article suggesting only active UND athletes should vote on the nickname---maybe they should go further and let only hockey players vote.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opin...ctive-athletes
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by BisonVet View Post
    Article suggesting only active UND athletes should vote on the nickname---maybe they should go further and let only hockey players vote.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opin...ctive-athletes
    That is the dumbest article yet.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    That is a bold statement.

Stay tuned---it isn't over yet.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

I think Roughriders is the best of the 5 names proposed. The fact that GFRR has the same nickname is a non-issue. 99% of the residents of North Dakota residing more than 50 miles from Grand Forks couldn't tell you the nickname of either GF High School and nobody outside of North Dakota would care. Heck, nobody confuses the Milnor Bison or Hazen Bison with NDSU or gives it a second thought. I'm pretty sure nobody knows who was using the names first either (Remember that we were once the Aggies or Farmers or something like that). The dumbest thing about what the idiots ion Grand Forks are doing is trashing the best ideas and guaranteeing the goofiest nickname (Like Sundogs).

Why not just let the REA folks pick the nickname?

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

I like sundogs pretty fitting they usually look nice in December and January and have disappeared by March just like teh hockey team.

Lardsin must go!

there is still a SIOUX mascot in ND.....

anyone that can name them gets a cookie...

HINT: its not on a reservation
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant