Page 807 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 307707757797805806807808809817857907 ... LastLast
Results 8,061 to 8,070 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Those of you that read over there (i.e. most of you reading this ) know I'm definitely not in the "no nickname" junta.

However, just an experiment for all of you, try this for a week, heck, for a day:

Don't say "Bison".
    Don't write "Bison".
    Don't wear anything with the Bison logo or the word Bison (or offshoots like "Herd").
    Only wear stuff that just says "NDSU" or "North Dakota State".
    Only reference your teams as "NDSU".

Walk the walk for just a day. See what it's like.

As I said, UND needs to move on; but I also understand why some folks are really struggling with it. Me? I went cold turkey. No "S" word*. All the hats and jackets went into storage (for future sale on Ebay). It was tough at first, but that's probably why I'm at peace with declaring a new nickname.

*Except for geographical references.
    You see........the beauty of it all is...........we don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    You see........the beauty of it all is...........we don't have to.
    Fifty or so years from now, when the kubaya crowd has overrun all that is good and sane, and having banned football, ice hockey, and any other contact sport from the NCAA* as far too violent and mysogynistic for civilized academic institutions, they'll finally get around to completing the ban on anything that can remotely be viewed as a "religious icon" so as to not offend anyone.

St. John's will just be know as John's. The Holy Cross Crusaders will be ... nothing, as you can no longer say holy, or cross (religious icon), or crusader. And anyone with an eagle or buffalo mascot will have to drop them because they are religious talisman to native religions.

That'll be the NCAA utopia circa 2070. Fortunately for most of us, we'll be dead.

*Basketball will be on the chopping block about this time because it's too violent.

Fifty or so years from now, when the kubaya crowd has overrun all that is good and sane, and having banned football, ice hockey, and any other contact sport from the NCAA* as far too violent and mysogynistic for civilized academic institutions, they'll finally get around to completing the ban on anything that can remotely be viewed as a "religious icon" so as to not offend anyone.

St. John's will just be know as John's. The Holy Cross Crusaders will be ... nothing, as you can no longer say holy, or cross (religious icon), or crusader. And anyone with an eagle or buffalo mascot will have to drop them because they are religious talisman to native religions.

That'll be the NCAA utopia circa 2070. Fortunately for most of us, we'll be dead.

*Basketball will be on the chopping block about this time because it's too violent.
    A fascinating glimpse into the way your mind doesn't work.

its this simple for every und fan that wears a Sioux logo or shirt or continues to "impersonate" a Sioux indian.

Ron Horse is Thunder, Chase iron eyes, Ruth Hopkins are the leaders of 10,150 standing rock enrolled members ....... THEY DONT WANT FAT WHITE HOCKEY FANS PORTRAYING THEM!!!
    Erich Longie of spirit lake too
    (yes they are against the redskins name as well)

its really quite simple that everyone of their fans are spitting in the eyes of those native American members. period, end of story
    Last edited by El_Chapo; 04-29-2015 at 11:15 PM.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

That is hands down the most cynical post of all time. The weird thing is.............I think you really believe that.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

As I said, UND needs to move on; but I also understand why some folks are really struggling with it. Me? I went cold turkey. No "S" word*. All the hats and jackets went into storage (for future sale on Ebay). It was tough at first, but that's probably why I'm at peace with declaring a new nickname.

Actually, it sounds like you haven't "moved on" at all.

But lucky for our neighbors up north, when the world goes to hell in a handbasket, they'll have a bunker to hide in.
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    That is hands down the most cynical post of all time. The weird thing is.............I think you really believe that.
    I don't believe it, but I work with academics who do. That's where the cynicism comes from.

Prominent north dakota native american advocate on twitter today talking about Adam Sandler movie debacle.

@xodanix3 Natives were told "go back to the rez" or "leave the university" for protesting Fighting Sioux logo

Another lawyer on Ed Schultz show from bismarck says she has been fighting the same thing at und for years and she got her law degree there & students told her to go back to rez in law school!!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)