Page 501 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 4014514914995005015025035115516011001 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,010 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Whoever wrote into the Dan Barrerio show last night as "Stupid Ass Listener" sure made some great points. I know I'd be proud if he represented my university like that.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    One of the reasons why this issue has continued for 5,000 posts is the insincerity, cowardice or fecklessness of people on the right side of this issue.

On the one hand you have people that are near insane in their devotion to this ridiculous embroidery and on the other hand you have what? Milquetoasts, sinecures, stuffed shirts and people who hold down chairs for a living.

Someone mentioned Jim Crow. You know what turned the tide? Civil disobedience. What changed popular opinion regarding SOPA? Having Wikipedia and other sites go dark.

No one at UND or the SBoHE is willing to take a stand for what is clearly right here, and that's why this issue has continued.

What would have happened if the SBoHE told Al Carlson, "this law is unconstitutional and will not be observed by the University of North Dakota"? Could the legislature have stripped all funding for the SBoHE? No. Stripped UND? No. Could they have made noise, saber-rattled, and been windy? Yes. Did they do that anyway? Yes.

Tell me, what have this succession of Neville Chamberlains accomplished besides prolonging this debate past the point of reason, past the point of resolution, and essentially turned the nickname into a holy crusade for a group of disconnected and irrational loonies?

Had anyone of importance at UND or at the SBoHE had the courage of their convictions, the worst that could have possibly happened to them is that they would have been fired and thus freed from this Sisyphusian nightmare. The best thing is that they would've presented a clear voice of conscience on the right side of this issue.
    Good post. You know what Kelley is thinking everytime you see a quote on the topic ("we will abide the law and do what we have to..."), but I wish he would just say it. I know he has to be wary of the big-money hockey/nickname boosters, but I wonder what would happen if he made it his repeated message that, "It is in the best interest of the University, its althletic department, supporters, and alumni to move on. The University unequivocally wishes to select a new mascot and opposes efforts to prevent that from happening."

I know that's what I'd want to do. I also know that I'll never be a university administrator.

Watching Fox News at work (not by choice) and they had a segment on this issue. However, they are reporting the university is behind this. You almost have to have sympathy for the university. They want the name/logo gone, but their alumni and ND legislature want to keep it. I wrote earlier that the SBoHE could contest the law fairly soon. What if they let it go? They just sit back and let the vote play out. Would that open more issues?

Quote Originally Posted by bisonsupporter View Post
    Watching Fox News at work (not by choice) and they had a segment on this issue. However, they are reporting the university is behind this. You almost have to have sympathy for the university. They want the name/logo gone, but their alumni and ND legislature want to keep it. I wrote earlier that the SBoHE could contest the law fairly soon. What if they let it go? They just sit back and let the vote play out. Would that open more issues?
    My favorite part of the Fox News story we when the commentator called them the University of South Dakota twice! By the way, I am a big Fox fan. Nice to have a news channel that actually airs all the news even if you have to take much of the commentary with a grain or two of salt.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mebisonII View Post
    I know he has to be wary of the big-money hockey/nickname boosters
    There are worse things in life than losing money. And his equivocal stance hasn't earned him the respect of any of these boosters/donors in any case.

Kelley could simply say, "We will not use the Sioux logo, we are removing the logo and the word "Sioux" from all of our facilities, from all of our publications and from all of our websites. We will no longer have the university held hostage by this issue."

I note that the nickname law and the nickname amendment do not obligate UND to USE the nickname, they simply establish the nickname by fiat.

What would the legislature/nickname supporters do if UND flat refused, as a matter of policy, to use its legally designated nickname?

I was afraid that my content would be insufficiently erudite if I stuck with words like "loonies".
    My favorite is fecklessness.
    I don't care how the vote ended up. They still suck and always will.

Official Unofficial President of the Bisonville Zach Vraa Fan Club.
    http://www.bisonville.com/forum/show...zach+vraa+club

There are worse things in life than losing money. And his equivocal stance hasn't earned him the respect of any of these boosters/donors in any case.

Kelley could simply say, "We will not use the Sioux logo, we are removing the logo and the word "Sioux" from all of our facilities, from all of our publications and from all of our websites. We will no longer have the university held hostage by this issue."

I note that the nickname law and the nickname amendment do not obligate UND to USE the nickname, they simply establish the nickname by fiat.

What would the legislature/nickname supporters do if UND flat refused, as a matter of policy, to use its legally designated nickname?
    butthockey

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

I'm glad you brought this up as I have wondered to myself about this very option. Couldn't the University just put an end to it all and cease to use the name? The SBoHE is obviously on board with that idea, so who is going to punish them for it?
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    My favorite is fecklessness.
    +1 for 'Sisyphusian.'
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Civil06 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EndZoneQB View Post
    I'm glad you brought this up as I have wondered to myself about this very option. Couldn't the University just put an end to it all and cease to use the name? The SBoHE is obviously on board with that idea, so who is going to punish them for it?
    That's what I've said all along. Defy the law, change the nickname, and become the "Outlaws". What are they going to do, throw Kelley and the student body president in jail? Instantly one of the most unique nicknames around and a heck of a backstory.
    "Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentleman's game played by beasts; football is a beastly game played by beasts."
    - Henry Blaha