Page 1 of 1013 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

GradBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Bill to keep Sioux nickname

This is too comical:

Fargo Rep. Al Carlson's bill says UND and the Board of Higher Education have to stop plans to drop the nickname.
    http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/304507/

Edit: oops just saw the thread in smack.

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Whats Al Carlson doing?????? Did he go to UND, or what?

Carlson is doing the right thing, although his Bill will likely need amending. Many of us, including Bison like myself, want the nickname to stay. The faculty elite of the NCAA are pissing on the voters of Spirit Lake. They, who think are stopping hate, are making it worse by caving to the vocal minority as proved at Spirit Lake. Personally, I liked the other draft bill better, which states:

"A second bill draft circulating Monday, prepared for Rep. David Monson, R-Osnabrock, a former speaker of the House, would prohibit UND from retiring the nickname and logo unless the State Board receives written notice from leaders of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and the Spirit Lake Tribe “indicating the members of each tribe have voted in a tribal referendum to revoke the permission granted to the university to use the nickname and logo.”"

That would seem to make a lot of sense. If Standing Rock votes against it, I will fully support retiring the name.

The only question, I have, is if the bill passes, and Standing Rock refuses to have a referendum, what would be the cost to the state and UND? That may sway my mind a bit, but I love anyone who gives the NCAA the bird.

However, that may be unlikely as those who want the nickname to end, would be forced to gamble on the referendum. Otherwise, they have to live with it.
    Last edited by THEsocalledfan; 01-11-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

I think it is great that Carlson stepped up to the plate. This is not a Sioux vs. Bison issue, it's a "Don't screw with North Dakota" issue. As Carlson said, people want to keep the logo. I did get a chuckle out of the quote in the paper...

Carlson said he wouldn’t be acting as a UND booster.
    “I’m a Bison,” the NDSU graduate said, laughing.

Gotta give the guy credit, he is doing what he thinks is best for the state, and that is giving the NCAA the finger.

Notorious is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by blackhills View Post
    I think it is great that Carlson stepped up to the plate. This is not a Sioux vs. Bison issue, it's a "Don't screw with North Dakota" issue. As Carlson said, people want to keep the logo. I did get a chuckle out of the quote in the paper...

Gotta give the guy credit, he is doing what he thinks is best for the state, and that is giving the NCAA the finger.
    Agree somewhat your last line, but what happens when this becomes an embarrassment nationally, or hinders teh und in scheduling*, or costs taxpayers $5M to f**k with....?

*playoffs?......playoffs?....don't talk about playoffs!!!

"Bisonville Poster of the Year - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012"

"Hustler Man of the Year - 2011 & 2012"

"1977 Pinewood Derby Champion - Southwestern North Dakota"

"Chub's Pub & 4-10 Club Hall of Fame - 2012

"Voted Biggest DICK on Bisonville"

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Carlson is doing the right thing, although his Bill will likely need amending. Many of us, including Bison like myself, want the nickname to stay. The faculty elite of the NCAA are pissing on the voters of Spirit Lake. They, who think are stopping hate, are making it worse by caving to the vocal minority as proved at Spirit Lake. Personally, I liked the other draft bill better, which states:

"A second bill draft circulating Monday, prepared for Rep. David Monson, R-Osnabrock, a former speaker of the House, would prohibit UND from retiring the nickname and logo unless the State Board receives written notice from leaders of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and the Spirit Lake Tribe “indicating the members of each tribe have voted in a tribal referendum to revoke the permission granted to the university to use the nickname and logo.”"

That would seem to make a lot of sense. If Standing Rock votes against it, I will fully support retiring the name.

The only question, I have, is if the bill passes, and Standing Rock refuses to have a referendum, what would be the cost to the state and UND? That may sway my mind a bit, but I love anyone who gives the NCAA the bird.

However, that may be unlikely as those who want the nickname to end, would be forced to gamble on the referendum. Otherwise, they have to live with it.
    Is your support of the nickname based on being anti-PC or do you support UND?

I for one am not offended by the name itself, but the school it is associated with. In my eyes, anything bad that happens to that school is more enjoyment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhills View Post

I wrote this earlier...He may have a degree from NDSU, but he is not and will never be a Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Agree somewhat your last line, but what happens when this becomes an embarrassment nationally, or hinders teh und in scheduling*, or costs taxpayers $5M to f**k with....?

*playoffs?......playoffs?....don't talk about playoffs!!!
    Yep, your concerns are valid, and will need to be carefully considered. However, if the bill passed saying the same won't be retired without a Standing Rock referendum, the NCAA will look pretty bad if somehow, UND and North Dakota in general can get the national media to pick up on the story and get some major press. Enough bad publicity, and the NCAA may be willing to relook at the agreement and amend to fit this idea.

Make no mistake on this: UND is being held hostage by the faculty elite of the NCAA. If you haven't heard my ramblings on this before, I had a certain President type, who fully thought UND was out to desparage native people and tell me that they made a deal with Satan in building the Engelstad arena. At that point, I decided I fully despise all of this ilk who are willing to sacrifice the will of the people, even those they think they are helping, to advance their own agenda. They are so sure of themselves and think that they know everything. They want to mold the world into their little utopia they think can be achieved......

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Yep, your concerns are valid, and will need to be carefully considered. However, if the bill passed saying the same won't be retired without a Standing Rock referendum, the NCAA will look pretty bad if somehow, UND and North Dakota in general can get the national media to pick up on the story and get some major press. Enough bad publicity, and the NCAA may be willing to relook at the agreement and amend to fit this idea.

Make not mistake on this: UND is being held hostage by the faculty elite of the NCAA. If you haven't heard my ramblings on this before, I had a certain President type, who fully thought UND was out to desparage native people and tell me that they made a deal with Satan in building the Engelstad arena. At that point, I decided I fully despise all of this ilk who are willing to sacrifice the will of the people, even those they think they are helping, to advance their own agenda. They are so sure of themselves and think that they know everything. They want to mold the world into their little utopia they think can be achieved......
    You do realize that there are people on UND's campus who have been opposed to the nickname for years, even before the NCAA came into play? Not everyone in ND is in favor of the logo and nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by BemidjiBison11 View Post
    Is your support of the nickname based on being anti-PC or do you support UND?

I for one am not offended by the name itself, but the school it is associated with. In my eyes, anything bad that happens to that school is more enjoyment for me.
    It is the utter, and willful subversion of democracy that I hate. While I can't stand UND, I am hoping the legislature helps them land a solid body punch to the NCAA whom I despise more.

Remember, these are the same morons who make NDSU go through a 5 years transition.....