Page 1004 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 450490495499410021003100410051006 ... LastLast
Results 10,031 to 10,040 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Quote Originally Posted by DORMIE View Post
    Went to Fargo Central. we were the Midgets.
    Burned down in 1966. Thankfully
    Dickinson is carrying on the tradition. When I was a kid,
    I always liked what they called the defensive backfield
    at LSU "The Chinese Bandits"
    Lucky you to have gone to Central. I always hoped to but, of course, the burning took care of that. I wonder if Fargo Central had not burned, how long it would have been before the Midgets name had to be changed. The only reason they were called the Midgets was because one of the classes of basketball, I believe, had small players. It took a year or two before South opened but in the interim, the displaced Central students had to share North with the North students. There was quite the bond I hear during that year or two. When Central was burning, I was in Agassiz auditorium and a bunch of Central kids ran in without coats and stayed there until they could get rides home. What a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Given GFC and Devils Lake, I'm stunned Mandan and Bismarck High have yet to succomb.
    Mandan is an interesting one as there is a lot of natives who go to school there. It would be akin to my first post re-opening this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    The white Italian community in the southern RRV were outraged. Probably made people an offer they couldn't refuse to get the name changed.
    If Italians were Wops, who in the hell were the Dagos? Or the Spics? BTW, I'm a Kraut.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    My high school (South High Bruins) played the Wops - 1967-1970 era. If I gave it any thought, I maybe thought it was a "wop" like a slap. Please don't call me ignorant anybody. We just didn't know.

I always say, just give your mascot the name of an animal. Then you don't get into a jam.

If you have to have a mascot/nickname for a sports team, make sure it ends in "S", I hate names like Magic, Jazz, Heat (yes Miami is hot, but really), Lightning, Wild ? (what the hell is wild about Minnesota?) Avalanche ? why name a sports team after an event that usually ends up killing hikers, skiers, et al? Silly, I tell you......just silly.......and don't bring up the Red Sox or White Sox teams. I get it. Boston Red Soxes ? ya, right!

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    If you have to have a mascot/nickname for a sports team, make sure it ends in "S", I hate names like Magic, Jazz, Heat (yes Miami is hot, but really), Lightning, Wild ? (what the hell is wild about Minnesota?) Avalanche ? why name a sports team after an event that usually ends up killing hikers, skiers, et al? Silly, I tell you......just silly.......and don't bring up the Red Sox or White Sox teams. I get it. Boston Red Soxes ? ya, right!
    I love your passion about sports teams' names. It oozes out of you.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

When I win Powerball (yes "when" not if) I will build a beautiful new athletic complex for my old high school with the one stipulation that the mascot be changed to the "Lepers".

If Italians were Wops, who in the hell were the Dagos? Or the Spics? BTW, I'm a Kraut.
    They are all derogatory names for Italians
    The Hill in StL was called Dago Hill. Many great restaurants there
    That’s where Joe Garagiola is from. He called it the Hill during broadcasts
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    My father in law was Siciian (as is my spouse then of course). He said that the term WOP is an acronym for "With Out Papers" and dates back to early immigration from Europe(Italy) at Ellis Island when these people would hop off a boat with no travel documents.

Don't know anything about the origination of the other terms...
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    the hill is where yogi berra was born!

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic View Post
    the hill is where yogi berra was born!
    Yogi and Joe were neighbors and grew up as best friends. Very cool story!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk