Page 96 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196596 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

bisonhusker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

I'd take $50 that if our AD put a home football schedule together like UND's guy did, he would get run out of town.

I love how Answer Guy was so quick to be like..."Yeah, I will take that bet!!!!"

Ok, so a D1 football team should beat an NAIA school? CORRECT. You should, you probably will, but you didn't...and that won't change. Why they were even on the schedule is the next question. Just like the Fargo Forum said today, Brian Jones said that hoops win was their biggest since he got here. USD? USD is in the 300's in RPI...and that is a big win? It is simply amazing how low the bar is at UND. Time to schedule better, hire (and pay) some good coaches and get it moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil06 View Post
    They're taking down the BCS, too!!?! Never mess with teh hockies in a street fight.
    Well their next step is an anti-trust lawsuit against the NCAA. If UND wins that wouldn't that bring a shitstorm to the NCAA and how they manage post season collegiate championships? Someone with greater knowledge of how this works please step up. My legal knowledge is limited to a couple episodes of Matlock my grandma made me watch with her about 20 years ago.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Answer Guy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonhusker View Post
    I'd take $50 that if our AD put a home football schedule together like UND's guy did, he would get run out of town.

I love how Answer Guy was so quick to be like..."Yeah, I will take that bet!!!!"
    5 days later is quick? Notorious could think of a comeback in that time!
    Teh Interwebs – a place you can say stuff.

Facts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    Sooooo... the next time the tribal council says discontinue the use of teh nickname, the university* will comply? That worked so well the last time.... oh wait, that was prior to the university* and its giving a shit about what the tribe had to say...

Oh, and if anyone's actually paying attention, the Standing Rock tribe is 1000% correct when they say they have better things to worry about than a damn nickname vote. Seriously, it doesn't take two minutes worth of research to realize that. Of all the entities involved in this circus, their tribal council looks to be the only one that has their heads on straight...

*-"university" is used in the context of Tony's definition of UND (a nickname with its own hockey team). I realize the University's leadership has actually managed to extricate their head from their nethersphincters.
    And to add to this: Apparantly legal settlements and deadlines with the NCAA are meaningless...

I'm sorry, that statement was way too wordy:

buthockey
    Last edited by Facts; 03-14-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: succinctness
    Go Bison.

Notorious is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Answer Guy View Post
    5 days later is quick? Notorious could think of a comeback in that time!
    Easy now...don't forget that I'm financing a portion of your nickname fight!!

"Bisonville Poster of the Year - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012"

"Hustler Man of the Year - 2011 & 2012"

"1977 Pinewood Derby Champion - Southwestern North Dakota"

"Chub's Pub & 4-10 Club Hall of Fame - 2012

"Voted Biggest DICK on Bisonville"

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    This really is a win-win for Bison fans. UND can spend years fucking (quote this GF Herald!) around legally with the NCAA and let's say that actually win an anti-trust suit against them. I'd trade UND getting to keep the Sioux nickname if it meant taking down the NCAA. We might actually get a shot at a real playoff system in major college football.
    Bisonmike don't take this as a personal shot, but I have heard about "taking down the NCAA" and similar sentiments... I will ask the question, who is everyone proposing make the rules about College Athletics? The North Dakota Legislature? The Courts? The Federal Government? I still come back to the NCAA is policing itself and the government has no place in telling it what the rules have. Especially actions against its own members. Now if you want to have a congressional investigation into should the kids be payed to play, thats different in my opinion because the athletes don't have a chair at the table. But if it scholarship limits or nicknames or mascots or rules related to their members, leave them alone and let them do their thing. Hell they could even outlaw the Bison knickname tomorrow and I would feel that it is in their rights to do it because they are policing themselves.

In my opinion the only leg UND has to stand on is the cost associated with tearing down all the Sioux Logos in their arena. The fact that this change was forced upon them, I feel the NCAA members should probably help defer the costs to "de-sioux" the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Bisonmike don't take this as a personal shot, but I have heard about "taking down the NCAA" and similar sentiments... I will ask the question, who is everyone proposing make the rules about College Athletics? The North Dakota Legislature? The Courts? The Federal Government? I still come back to the NCAA is policing itself and the government has no place in telling it what the rules have. Especially actions against its own members. Now if you want to have a congressional investigation into should the kids be payed to play, thats different in my opinion because the athletes don't have a chair at the table. But if it scholarship limits or nicknames or mascots or rules related to their members, leave them alone and let them do their thing. Hell they could even outlaw the Bison knickname tomorrow and I would feel that it is in their rights to do it because they are policing themselves.

In my opinion the only leg UND has to stand on is the cost associated with tearing down all the Sioux Logos in their arena. The fact that this change was forced upon them, I feel the NCAA members should probably help defer the costs to "de-sioux" the arena.
    Yay! Right on.

BTW, the "costs" you talk about are part of the agreement. Permanent Sioux logos are allowed to remain. Others disappear when the things that they are attached to are replaced. Any logos on banners are allowed to remain. About the only immediate thing to be changed is some etched glass doors. Hardly a major expense.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Yay! Right on.

BTW, the "costs" you talk about are part of the agreement. Permanent Sioux logos are allowed to remain. Others disappear when the things that they are attached to are replaced. Any logos on banners are allowed to remain. About the only immediate thing to be changed is some etched glass doors. Hardly a major expense.
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before. In light of today's higher energy costs, is there any way that we can hook up the dearly departed Ralph Englestad to a turbine? I am sure that he is spinning out of control in his grave, so it would be pretty cheap energy.

To quote Ice Cube right after he left N.W.A. (i.e. before he starting making movies for kids):

"Damn. Oh yeah. It ain't over motherfuckers."

UND puts transition on hold
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

When asked to comment on the recent nickname fiasco, UND's previous mascot had this to say:

Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved