Page 790 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 290690740780788789790791792800840890 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,900 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

I'd better check to see if any stores have a sale on Depends today. I may wet myself if/when un_ loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    And this is another example of why, whether they pick a new nickname or try to stay with "no name", the Sioux name and logo themselves will continue on in perpetuity to be used unofficially by everyone associated with the fan base (except "officially" by UND itself, of course, wink, wink)............and the NCAA isn't going to do a damn thing about it, or in many instances, can't.

Still don't believe they won't do anything, however? Well, consider that this IS an NCAA sanctioned regional tournament this weekend and the place will STILL be crawling with supposedly NCAA-banned Fighting Sioux apparel.

It'll take a generation but it will change, eventually.

This is the same NCAA that just violated their own ban on playing post-season games in South Carolina in a effort to lose less money on the women's basketball tournament so I wouldn't count on them policing fans jersey choices.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post

This is the same NCAA that just violated their own ban on playing post-season games in South Carolina in a effort to lose less money on the women's basketball tournament so I wouldn't count on them policing fans jersey choices.
    Could you imagine if the NCAA made people remove their jerseys of turn them inside out?!! There would be an all out war in Scheels Arena. Ferguson would seem like recess compared to what they would do!!
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Assuming they actually pick a NEW nickname, we agree.

But I'm not ready to bury "no name" just yet. And if that wins the day, the "Fighting Sioux" moniker, in effect, has no sunset. When you think about it, for these people (teh hockies), that's a pretty big incentive to keep gaming the "system" (the NCAA) with impunity!

BYZEN is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

And this is another example of why, whether they pick a new nickname or try to stay with "no name", the Sioux name and logo themselves will continue on in perpetuity to be used unofficially by everyone associated with the fan base (except "officially" by UND itself, of course, wink, wink)............and the NCAA isn't going to do a damn thing about it, or in many instances, can't.

Still don't believe they won't do anything, however? Well, consider that this IS an NCAA sanctioned regional tournament this weekend and the place will STILL be crawling with supposedly NCAA-banned Fighting Sioux apparel.
    superD.jpg

I sure have seen a lot of Siouxper proud people in town today. And me with all my NDSU pride showing.
    SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier on NDSU intro video: "This is not meant to be North Dakota State's home game."

Quote Originally Posted by BYZEN View Post
    superD.jpg

I sure have seen a lot of Siouxper proud people in town today. And me with all my NDSU pride showing.
    Yeah, and the funny thing is, if someone were to walk into Scheels Arena today with one of THOSE T-shirts, they would most likely be told to do something about their offensive piece of apparel (and I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't be either). And yet, the next 500 people in line will walk right in with a big nickname and logo on their chest that WAS actually deemed hostile and abusive by the "big, bad, not to be trifled with" sanctioning body.

You can't make this stuff up!

But I'm not ready to bury "no name" just yet. And if that wins the day, the "Fighting Sioux" moniker, in effect, has no sunset. When you think about it, for these people (teh hockies), that's a pretty big incentive to keep gaming the "system" (the NCAA) with impunity!
    Yep. .

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

[QUOTE=Bison Loaf;996795]Assuming they actually pick a NEW nickname, we agree.

As far as I know nobody on any committee or Kelly has made a public statement saying that "no nickname" is not an option. I may be reading too much into it, but isn't it possible that sends a message?
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

[QUOTE=BisonVet;996819]

As far as I know nobody on any committee or Kelly has made a public statement saying that "no nickname" is not an option. I may be reading too much into it, but isn't it possible that that sends a message?
    I thought I saw somewhere that Kelly had said something. Maybe not an explicit 'no nickname' is not an option, but something more than complete silence.

The committees, from what I recall, have all unambiguously kept the 'no nickname' option very much on the table.

I thought I saw somewhere that Kelly had said something. Maybe not an explicit 'no nickname' is not an option, but something more than complete silence.

The committees, from what I recall, have all unambiguously kept the 'no nickname' option very much on the table.
    Yes, this is my recollection, also.

Kelly has either said or intimated that "no name" was unacceptable, but the committee - those paragons of leadership themselves - have not exactly backed up their "leader" on this issue. In fact, the first committee specifically said that "no name" should be allowed to remain as an option.

It's CYA time up there. Everybody's running for cover from the almost certain fallout!