Page 1008 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 850890895899810061007100810091010 ... LastLast
Results 10,071 to 10,080 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Honkies????
    "Dumb Norskis" and the Norwegian jokes that are told about them (which are pretty damn funny).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    oh and they probably wouldn't be offended by anything in this thread because we're the first pussy generations
    I'm pretty sure that I've got some ancestors that would not be tickled by Confederate flags and statues.

But in my lifetime, people, even in ND, think Lost Cause propaganda is awesome.
    In my lifetime, people were offended by people with different skin tones showing affection to each other.
    In my lifetime, people were offended by people of the same gender being in love. People literally got away with murder by using the "gay panic" defense.
    In my lifetime, people were so scared of certain religions and genders, that they wouldn't allow them on their golf courses.
    In my lifetime, people were outraged by The Simpsons, the song "Hot for Teacher", the Beastie Boys, The Life of Brian, metal music, D&D, video games...I could go on but by the time I finish the list, their direct philosophical descendants will have come up with 12 more things to be offended by.
    In my lifetime, people started the Great 1980's Satanic Panic.
    etc.

So, no, Kevin, this is not the first pussy generation. I mean, nobody is going to collapse from the vapors if somebody says "leg" instead of "limb" nowadays like they did in Victorian times - or put somebody in jail for wearing a beard (see Joseph Palmer.)

When I was student teaching at South High in the fall of 1991, I found an unopened box of beakers in the science lab with Fargo Central H.S. on the shipping info.

Quote Originally Posted by DORMIE View Post
    Went to Fargo Central. we were the Midgets.
    Burned down in 1966. Thankfully
    Dickinson is carrying on the tradition. When I was a kid,
    I always liked what they called the defensive backfield
    at LSU "The Chinese Bandits"
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    When I was student teaching at South High in the fall of 1991, I found an unopened box of beakers in the science lab with Fargo Central H.S. on the shipping info.
    Are we off-topic enough?? I will continue. When I was in South High probably 1968, the building was still not entirely completed, especially the gym. I got lost and decided to cut through a hallway in the science lab area. There was a HUGE jar (like those massive pickle jars) full of FAT SNAKES. I screamed bloody murder and ran down the hall in hysterics. I have a SEVERE snake phobia but really who would not have been shocked by that? Maybe it was only 1 snake curled up. I still think of that.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    Never knew that "wop" was an acronym for "without papers." Can understand why Italians are so upset. I have several Italian friends and one almost 100% Sicilian male friend. Beautiful people. Always admired Italian surnames with their lilting pronunciation. Love to watch Giada de Laurentis.

My dad was in Pacific theater in WWII and referred to Japanese as "Japs." I assume that is seen as derogatory but that is what he called them. My uncle served in European Theater and called Germans "Krauts."
    I like to look at Giada too...

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    The acronym thing may be true. But it’s very unlikely that loads of people got through Ellis island without papers. You couldn’t get on a boat without your documents in order. The companies transporting people were responsible for their passenger manifests and those manifest were delivered to immigration officials before anyone departed the ship.

this also gives the lie to the idea that people’s family names were Americanized by immigration officials.
    My surname changed completely when my great grandfather came across and I am grateful.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    My surname changed completely when my great grandfather came across and I am grateful.

oldmantutters does have a good wring to it
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    Are we off-topic enough?? I will continue. When I was in South High probably 1968, the building was still not entirely completed, especially the gym. I got lost and decided to cut through a hallway in the science lab area. There was a HUGE jar (like those massive pickle jars) full of FAT SNAKES. I screamed bloody murder and ran down the hall in hysterics. I have a SEVERE snake phobia but really who would not have been shocked by that? Maybe it was only 1 snake curled up. I still think of that.
    Well, the topic of what offends people is kind of central to this thread. And it's gotten me feisty.

Apparently, the UND nickname fanbois have convinced themselves that the Bismarck Demons somehow are honoring the denizens of Hell. But let's just be clear about something: Nobody at Bismarck High chose that nickname to honor Satan's minions. That kind of thinking only came to the forefront around 2001 when pro-nickname folks at UND started claiming that UND chose the Sioux nickname to honor the Sioux (which is complete BS, btw.) But once they made that argument, the power of language was so great and the the power of their thinking skills so weak that they started misapplying the same rudiculous argument to the nickname at Devils Lake. It was like watching a drug dealer get high on their own supply, if the drug dealer's product was complete and abject stupidity that is. But that's UND for ya.

It's a little different with Wops. It didn't take Olympic level mental contortions to determine that this was actually offensive because you could find that out by calling somebody a Wop in Italian country and getting your ass kicked. So the Sioux nickname was clearly different. It seemed to be that the opposition there was more about wanting control over how their name, likeness, and legacy were used. UND missed an opportunity to sit down like they actually respected the tribes and come to an agreement. Instead, they took turns calling the nickname opponents on the Rez whiny morons and telling them to shut up which kind of undercut the whole "we're honoring you" charade.

Disclaimer: I went to Mandan (nickname = Braves) and I sure hope they learn from UND's blunders. I mean, even if there is no chance the nickname is going to face serious opposition, why not meet with Four Bears and Standing Rock people and make sure things are being done the right way?

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I like to look at Giada too...

Be sure you focus on her eyes! Sometimes for you guys, it might be difficult to become "distracted."

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot