Page 891 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 391791841881889890891892893901941991 ... LastLast
Results 8,901 to 8,910 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Quote Originally Posted by BisonVet View Post
    Shouldn't the trademark issues have been resolved by the worthless consultants? In addition, Kelly agreeing to "consider" adding back the no name option is a classic case of his lack of leadership and waffling at every point in the process.
    I don't know. I thought he looked pretty smart after a couple of dozen people showed up for that pathetic demonstration. Seems like he diffused some of the backlash without actually giving them anything rather than antagonizing people who are never going to change their mind anyway.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I don't know. I thought he looked pretty smart after a couple of dozen people showed up for that pathetic demonstration. Seems like he diffused some of the backlash without actually giving them anything rather than antagonizing people who are never going to change their mind anyway.
    Could be---another perspective is that he kicked the can and gave them hope where there might not be any---
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    The plan is to make it look like the public has as much say as possible while giving them relatively little, at least in the places where they really want it. The reality is that they can't go back and they can't go with nothing which are option 1 and option 1a for the public. So those have to come off the table whether or not 'the people' want it that way.

Then what you've gotten is a short list with two names on it that may prove prohibitive from a trademark perspective. So, again, someone is going to have to step in and make an executive decision if that circumstance comes to be. Why they couldn't resolve those potential issues during the committee process is beyond me but they didn't. Seems like that's an execution issue. Don't know if it's a leadership issue, but my point isn't whether or not Kelly is a good President, my point is that the problem is intractable.

But if it comes down to Fighting Hawks, SunDogs or whatever the 3rd one is then there's no reason for him to not go with the public choice.

I don't know why you'd stop with calling the "recommend a process" committee dumb. The whole thing has been dumb for most of the last 40 years.

Now is also a fine to begin bemoaning the lack of leadership. If they'd have bothered, at basically any point in the last half century, to develop a real, substantial and sustained relationship with the tribes they could be the Florida State of major college hockey at this point.
    I don't disagree with any of that. I simply think that apparent indecision at the top has made this worse. It was never going to be an easy process and universal acceptance of any nickname was never going to happen. I do think his email last Friday was brilliant is diffusing and short-circuiting the protest without actually giving them anything. It's really funny that the Herald reporters can't understand the word "Consider".

Da Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I don't disagree with any of that. I simply think that apparent indecision at the top has made this worse. It was never going to be an easy process and universal acceptance of any nickname was never going to happen. I do think his email last Friday was brilliant is diffusing and short-circuiting the protest without actually giving them anything. It's really funny that the Herald reporters can't understand the word "Consider".
    So you're giving them credit for being able to read.....................hmmm....................going out on a limb there.
    The original Da Bison.
    Not to be confused with imposters

BisonFan02 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bison View Post
    So you're giving them credit for being able to read.....................hmmm....................going out on a limb there.
    Suppose UND has a few buildings available for the "Prez Kelley School for Grads Whioux Can't Read Good"?

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    Didn't see this so sorry if posted already. People just don't get it...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/lett...election-table
    I have never understood this line of thinking. UND honored the Sioux tribe by having their name, sure. Some Sioux people would argue that but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. So a new name is being selected. Why in the hell should the tribes be involved in selecting a new name? How is their input relivant? Then to say that "some legal experts believe did not have the authority in its bylaws to demand the nickname change in the first place." Really? A provate organization can't set rules for it's members to abide by? And saying that the tibes were ignored by the SBoHE and UND is nonsense. UND probably were in contact with Standing Rock many times during the period where they were to gain approval from both tribes. Standing Rock decided many times they were against the name. What else were they supposed to do? UND-"Hey, can you guys vote on this?" SR-"No." UND- "Please?" -SR "No." At some point you accept their decision.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    I have never understood this line of thinking. UND honored the Sioux tribe by having their name, sure.
    I've never bought that for a second. Was Devils Lake honoring Satan with their old nickname? Is NDSU honoring bison?

When a university honors somebody, they invite them to campus - which UND didn't get around too until, oh I don't know, 40 years after they adopted the nickname.

UND didn't get into the "honoring" business until the first protests over the nickname around 1970... which is also when they realized that they could milk the Feds for millions of dollars for Indian programs.

Someone please clarify something for me. A member of the ND Legislature from GF writes a letter complaining that the nickname committee did not have Sioux representation. Am I missing something really obvious or am I living in an alternate reality?

http://www.uttc.edu/news/story/102514_01.asp
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I've never bought that for a second. Was Devils Lake honoring Satan with their old nickname? Is NDSU honoring bison?

When a university honors somebody, they invite them to campus - which UND didn't get around too until, oh I don't know, 40 years after they adopted the nickname.

UND didn't get into the "honoring" business until the first protests over the nickname around 1970... which is also when they realized that they could milk the Feds for millions of dollars for Indian programs.
    Dickinson has been honoring little people for some time. I'm sure deacons around the world wake up each morning thankful that Shanley is representing them with honor and courage.

Do the farmers in North Dakota feel better about themselves when they see TAMU and New Mexico State on TV?

These people could not be any more ridiculous if they tried.

10 points for using the word conniving...
    http://www.inforum.com/letters/38080...get-nothing-me
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans