Page 1006 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 650690695699610041005100610071008 ... LastLast
Results 10,051 to 10,060 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

So, let me see if I got this right. People arrived at Ellis Island and their name was on a list (that traveled with the boat they were on) and that proves that their “documents were in order” for leaving a country that wanted to be rid of them. Is that right? What have I missed?
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    So, let me see if I got this right. People arrived at Ellis Island and their name was on a list (that traveled with the boat they were on) and that proves that their “documents were in order” for leaving a country that wanted to be rid of them. Is that right? What have I missed?
    Ok. How about this:

One false etymology or backronym of wop is that it is an acronym for "without passport" or "without papers", implying that Italian immigrants entered the U.S. as undocumented or illegal immigrants.[9][10][11] The term has nothing to do with immigration documents, as these were not required by U.S. immigration officers until 1924,[12] after the slur had already come into use in the United States.

Wikipedia entry but seemingly well sourced.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Ok. How about this:

One false etymology or backronym of wop is that it is an acronym for "without passport" or "without papers", implying that Italian immigrants entered the U.S. as undocumented or illegal immigrants.[9][10][11] The term has nothing to do with immigration documents, as these were not required by U.S. immigration officers until 1924,[12] after the slur had already come into use in the United States.

Wikipedia entry but seemingly well sourced.
    Ok. Well as I say I heard it directly from a guy of that origin who was walkin around in 1919. I’d ask him to tell me again but unfortunately he passed in 1993 so no luck there.

If that is not the origin of the term then what does your source claim it to be?
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Ok. Well as I say I heard it directly from a guy of that origin who was walkin around in 1919. I’d ask him to tell me again but unfortunately he passed in 1993 so no luck there.

If that is not the origin of the term then what does your source claim it to be?
    Guappo. An Italian term for dandy or swaggerer.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The acronym thing may be true. But it’s very unlikely that loads of people got through Ellis island without papers. You couldn’t get on a boat without your documents in order. The companies transporting people were responsible for their passenger manifests and those manifest were delivered to immigration officials before anyone departed the ship.

this also gives the lie to the idea that people’s family names were Americanized by immigration officials.
    The US had open borders until 1921. Everything you posted is essentially revisionist history BS. Seriously, how can you be this wrong? I have direct ancestors that had their name changed at entry. To say that didn't happen is an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    The US had open borders until 1921. Everything you posted is essentially revisionist history BS. Seriously, how can you be this wrong? I have direct ancestors that had their name changed at entry. To say that didn't happen is an insult.
    Keep up. We went over the open boarder thing already. “Without papers” couldn’t have been a thing because, yes, you didn’t need papers. Whatever name you gave the shipping agent who sold you a boarding pass was the name you came in under. The agents at Ellis island or wherever didn’t write down names. They matched names against an existing register that the ship‘s captain certified.

Yeah, didn’t happen. They did it themselves.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Keep up. We went over the open boarder thing already. “Without papers” couldn’t have been a thing because, yes, you didn’t need papers. Whatever name you gave the shipping agent who sold you a boarding pass was the name you came in under. The agents at Ellis island or wherever didn’t write down names. They matched names against an existing register that the ship‘s captain certified.

Yeah, didn’t happen. They did it themselves.
    So you insist on insulting my ancestors. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    So you insist on insulting my ancestors. I'll keep that in mind.
    I sited a research paper. People are story tellers and it’s a good story. Good enough for The Godfather.

u have insulted my ancestor prepare to die

<karate noises>
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes