Page 1005 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 550590595599510031004100510061007 ... LastLast
Results 10,041 to 10,050 of 10122

Thread: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bill to keep Sioux nickname

Never knew that "wop" was an acronym for "without papers." Can understand why Italians are so upset. I have several Italian friends and one almost 100% Sicilian male friend. Beautiful people. Always admired Italian surnames with their lilting pronunciation. Love to watch Giada de Laurentis.

My dad was in Pacific theater in WWII and referred to Japanese as "Japs." I assume that is seen as derogatory but that is what he called them. My uncle served in European Theater and called Germans "Krauts."

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    My dad was in Pacific theater in WWII and referred to Japanese as "Japs." I assume that is seen as derogatory but that is what he called them. My uncle served in European Theater and called Germans "Krauts."
    Anyone who criticizes a Pacific Theater WWII vet for calling Japanese folks Japs needs a remedial history lesson. They very much earned that derogatory moniker, but do admire how they clearly course corrected to where it is impolite and wrong for non-vets to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Anyone who criticizes a Pacific Theater WWII vet for calling Japanese folks Japs needs a remedial history lesson. They very much earned that derogatory moniker, but do admire how they clearly course corrected to where it is impolite and wrong for non-vets to say it.
    I’m not so sure that one is all that derogatory. Feels a bit like calling someone from the UK a “Brit”, an American a “Yank”, New Zealander a “Kiwi”, Saudi a “Sand t…”, er, uh, never mind that last one. Well, you get my point I’m sure.

Now the names that some Vietnam Vets I’ve known use for Vietnamese peeps OTOH, whoa*.

* but perhaps also well earned in some cases. Problem is with generalization.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I’m not so sure that one is all that derogatory. Feels a bit like calling someone from the UK a “Brit”, an American a “Yank”, New Zealander a “Kiwi”, Saudi a “Sand t…”, er, uh, never mind that last one. Well, you get my point I’m sure.

Now the names that some Vietnam Vets I’ve known use for Vietnamese peeps OTOH, whoa*.

* but perhaps also well earned in some cases. Problem is with generalization.
    It's the s on the end. Makes it bad when you make it a mascot name. Dehumanizing eh.

Lardsin must go!

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well, my dad would be 102 if he were alive today. Growing up, EVERY dad in our neighborhood had been in the service. It was not a question of IF our dads had served, it was what branch of service they were in and what theater they had been in. They rarely discussed war stories with kids or wives but would gather in garages, smoke, drink beer, and trade stories. It was only shortly before my dad died, he told me "war is hell." I can only imagine what everyone went through.

About 20 years ago, my history-buff husband traveled to Japan to visit, among other areas, Hiroshima.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It was only shortly before my dad died, he told me "war is hell." I can only imagine what everyone went through.
    This is why I get so worked up over current politics. The sacrifices so many made, and our current regime is doing their damnedest to screw it all away.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    This is why I get so worked up over current politics. The sacrifices so many made, and our current regime is doing their damnedest to screw it all away.
    i get worked up over politics because the talking box in my living room tells me to
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    i get worked up over politics because the talking box in my living room tells me to
    Well, there's alot of truth in that too.

Never knew that "wop" was an acronym for "without papers." Can understand why Italians are so upset. I have several Italian friends and one almost 100% Sicilian male friend. Beautiful people. Always admired Italian surnames with their lilting pronunciation. Love to watch Giada de Laurentis.

The acronym thing may be true. But it’s very unlikely that loads of people got through Ellis island without papers. You couldn’t get on a boat without your documents in order. The companies transporting people were responsible for their passenger manifests and those manifest were delivered to immigration officials before anyone departed the ship.

this also gives the lie to the idea that people’s family names were Americanized by immigration officials.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    The acronym thing may be true. But it’s very unlikely that loads of people got through Ellis island without papers. You couldn’t get on a boat without your documents in order. The companies transporting people were responsible for their passenger manifests and those manifest were delivered to immigration officials before anyone departed the ship.

this also gives the lie to the idea that people’s family names were Americanized by immigration officials.
    You know this how?

I'm just relating an anecdote from someone who was, you know, alive in 1919. And Sicilian. Spoke pretty good Italian in my estimation too. But, what would he know*?

* oh, he was a Board Certified Pathologist so, quite a lot actually.
    Don't believe everything you think.