Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Roster - WRs

Default 2011 Roster - WRs

Can we expect anything different this year or is it going to be Holloway and Howard? Have Powell-Calhoun and Wahloo shown any promise? Are Vraa and Gebhart the answer? Obviously QB has not helped this position in the last 3yrs.

Default Re: 2011 Roster - WRs

Even moreso than the QB's, wr is the position we have struggled recruiting the past 3 years. Besides Heckendorf and White, we haven't had a lot of talent thats panned out here.

I like Holloway and Howard, they seem to do a good job. If the staff was going to pull Vraa and Gebhart redshirts, i'd imagine they are in the mix. Will we use Smith/Sigers/Mcnorton in the slot? I don't know why we wouldn't, but we have another thread devoted to that issue.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by mgbison View Post
    Will we use Smith/Sigers/Mcnorton in the slot? I don't know why we wouldn't, but we have another thread devoted to that issue.
    The Bison will potentially have a lot of depth at RB, so it is worth considering if any of these guys can provide help at WR.

McNorton may have been the team's best pass receiver this year. I think he could be an outstanding slot receiver, but he obviously can't play 2 positions at the same time. I don't think he'll spend much time in the slot until if/when other RBs really step up.

Sigers is an extremely dangerous runner, and he has been used to run counter plays and reverses from the slot position. He really hasn't been used as a pass receiver (or a punt returner) and I wonder if he has good enough hands to be an important part of the passing game. I do think Ryan Smith could do it. A slot receiver also has to be willing and able to catch the ball in heavy traffic and take a lick. We really haven't had the opportunity to see these guys in that situation.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I know Ojuri has potential to be a hell of a runner, anyone know if he can catch? It'd be a great way to get him on the field if he indeed is back next year as I don't see anyway that DJ isn't carrying this offense next season.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think that this is the weakest position on our football team. Holloway is average at best, and not a physical player! We dont have a WR on our team who would see the field playing for EWU. They had some big, fast, physical recievers. Norman White from Villanova is a beast. Watching him against App St. I kept thinking to myself, I wish we had a WR like him. I dont know enough about the younger guys, but I hope there is someone in that group who will break through. I think our lack of quality recievers is a problem for our quarterbacks!

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think this is the group more than any other that is handcuffing the offense. This is a group that has shown flashes, but nothing consistent. Some of that has to do with the QB throws also but think back to the USD game and the first 2 or 3 passes hit the WR's hands and none of them were caught. I don't know how much better that got through the season.

Because of the inconsistency, sometimes poor route running, and lack of separation, it's my opinion that is why we ran so many safe passing plays. Yes we went over the top, but I'm meaning more across the middle, slants, posts, post-corners, etc. Those are the routes that we have to run to be able to open up the passing game. It's not always over the top to Holloway that will open it up, because Cover 2 over Holloway more often than not will take the deep pass away.

Our young WR/TE's have to step up next year to take further steps in the playoffs.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I do not think that the WR position is an area of concern. What we need is significant improvement in the QB position and an increased emphasis in throwing the ball in the offensive play calling. The passing game rarely got in-sync in 2010, but I do not attribute that problem to the group of WRs, I believe they are very capable and will prove that in 2011.

The two rFR will greatly help that position in 2011, but there is talent in the group.

If the we have a little more stability at the QB postion it will help the recievers develop soem chemistry with the QB. There was some many changes under center and two different styles and I think that hurt the recievers

I was surpised that Wahlo didn't see the field this season. I thought he'd make an impact for sure. Hopefully Wahlo, Vraa and Gebhart are the good, young receivers we've needed the last few years. All three certainly have the talent to do something special.

I agree with the QB problems affecting the WR. It's tough for the QB and receivers to get into a rythym when the QB is different every other game.

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    I was surpised that Wahlo didn't see the field this season. I thought he'd make an impact for sure. Hopefully Wahlo, Vraa and Gebhart are the good, young receivers we've needed the last few years. All three certainly have the talent to do something special.

I agree with the QB problems affecting the WR. It's tough for the QB and receivers to get into a rythym when the QB is different every other game.
    Because of injury the QB would changed in the middle of a game more than once.