Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: College BBall Rules to Address

Default College BBall Rules to Address

College basketball should switch to jump balls instead of the alternating possession arrow. reward kids for their efforts and hustles. enough of this back n forth arrow thing.

Put a semi circle in the lane like the NBA. That way it is easier to tell if it is a block or charge under the basket and also addresses the secondary defender rule.

Shot clock to 24. Make these guys have to make quicker decisons out there. It will make for a faster pace and more interesting style.

Just a few off the top of my head. Discuss...

Default Re: College BBall Rules to Address

Without the possesion arrow, we probably wouldn't have beaten SDSU last season at Frost

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    Without the possesion arrow, we probably wouldn't have beaten SDSU last season at Frost
    I guess I beg to differ, HandoEX, regarding the held ball/possession arrow. Being a long time HS bb official, I know that the basketball case book (different than the rule book) has about 6 to 8 pages of situations regarding the jump ball administration. There are a bunch of screwy things that can happen, just during a jumpball. Situations like when the ball becomes live, when the clock starts, number of touches by a tapper (yup), when you can leave the circle, when you can enter the circle, when you can't move around the circle, when you can move around the circle, and these are just what I can think of off the top of my head. I get a headache just from thinking about this. A lot of refs don't know the all the rules regarding jumpball administration or they don't apply them correctly. I will take this one step further. During the pre-game conference with the captains, I would like to see a coin flip to determine who receives the ball first, thus starting the alternate possession procedure that way. It would eliminate a lot of UNNECESSARY rules and get down to what people paid to see. Just my .02 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    I guess I beg to differ, HandoEX, regarding the held ball/possession arrow. Being a long time HS bb official, I know that the basketball case book (different than the rule book) has about 6 to 8 pages of situations regarding the jump ball administration. There are a bunch of screwy things that can happen, just during a jumpball. Situations like when the ball becomes live, when the clock starts, number of touches by a tapper (yup), when you can leave the circle, when you can enter the circle, when you can't move around the circle, when you can move around the circle, and these are just what I can think of off the top of my head. I get a headache just from thinking about this. A lot of refs don't know the all the rules regarding jumpball administration or they don't apply them correctly. I will take this one step further. During the pre-game conference with the captains, I would like to see a coin flip to determine who receives the ball first, thus starting the alternate possession procedure that way. It would eliminate a lot of UNNECESSARY rules and get down to what people paid to see. Just my .02 cents.

Sorry, HandoEX, this should have been directed to Ming. My bad.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    College basketball should switch to jump balls instead of the alternating possession arrow. reward kids for their efforts and hustles. enough of this back n forth arrow thing.

Put a semi circle in the lane like the NBA. That way it is easier to tell if it is a block or charge under the basket and also addresses the secondary defender rule.

Shot clock to 24. Make these guys have to make quicker decisons out there. It will make for a faster pace and more interesting style.

Just a few off the top of my head. Discuss...
    Definitely agree with the semi-circle under the basket. You should NEVER be able to draw a charge by standing in that area.

Jump balls suck.

My pet peeves include:

It should never be in a team's interest to foul intentionally. I think teams should have the option to take the ball out of bounds instead of shooting free throws.

Too many time outs!

Coaches should be required to sit down.

Yeah, I am old.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    It's just a jump ball. How could it be that complicated?

I hear ya though. Some aspects of football get way too complicated and make it harder to correctly officiate. Rules makers don't always take into consideration the difficulty in officiating a rule when they create it. I doubt they would get rid of the opening tip just because of this.

I disagree with the semi-circle under the basket. As a player on the floor I should have the right to stand anywhere on the court I want to during a live ball. I have just as much right to that spot as the offensive player.

Besides, the block charge is a call most people rarely agree on. With this change you're not only asking the official to determine if the defender was in a legal guarding position, if the offense released the ball prior to contact (to count or not count the basket) and if the defender was on or inside the line. How is it possible to look at the shooters hands and the defenders feet at the same time?

As was mentioned with the jump ball situation, we're starting to make things more complicated which doesn't always lead to better things.

Keep things as simple as possible.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I disagree with the semi-circle under the basket. As a player on the floor I should have the right to stand anywhere on the court I want to during a live ball. I have just as much right to that spot as the offensive player.

Besides, the block charge is a call most people rarely agree on. With this change you're not only asking the official to determine if the defender was in a legal guarding position, if the offense released the ball prior to contact (to count or not count the basket) and if the defender was on or inside the line.

As was mentioned with the jump ball situation, we're starting to make things more complicated which doesn't always lead to better things.

Keep things as simple as possible.
    OK, you have a "right" to stand under the basket. I just don't think you should be able to draw a charging foul by standing under the basket. I don't think a player who is trying to draw a charge that close to the rim is actually playing defense. This can be a dangerous play for the offensive player attacking the rim. I think the rule works pretty well in the NBA.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

What ever happened to an offensive player having the right to come down once he has elevated to the basket. Good team defense is suppose to prevent an offensive player from getting that deep.

That is where the semi-circle is a great innovation. If an offensive player is good enough to get to the rim or the team defense is that poor, the player with the ball should be rewarded.

Speaking of rule changes, I liked the Spectrum headline when the size of the ball was changed in the 80's: "Bison women to play with smaller balls this year".*

*Probably not exact quote, but very close.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.