Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NDSU @ MSU Prediction Thread

Default Re: NDSU @ MSU Prediction Thread

Ndsu 2
    Msu 0

Scooter1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Montana State is a tough test and a huge favorite...probably...but not as much as they think.

When I started looking at this game there were a few things that caught my attention.
    1. They do have a very good freshman quarterback.
    2. They win the close games.
    3. They can score a lot of points.

So, why do I say... probably.

Montana State has two impressive wins in Eastern Washington and Montana. The Eastern Washington win in Bozeman early in the year was impressive. A win in Missoula is also great to have on your resume. However, I have to say that the fans for Montana have to be kicking themselves and frankly, their four turnovers deep in Montana State territory in the second half is the reason that Montana is out and we are in. Montana self distructed with a 3rd quarter fumble on the MSU 5, and a 3rd quarter INT on the MSU 19, a 3rd quarter fumble on the MSU 2 and a late 4th quarter INT on the MSU 1. MSU won this game 16-21, we owe the Grizzlies a huge thank you. The Griz win this game and we are out. (I hope I didn't just spawn another article in the GF Herald where UND is indirectly responsible for NDSU being in the playoffs)

When I looked at how MSU finished the season, (winning 4 of the last 5 games) what stood out to me is how close some of these games were. More importantly, the unexpected part was who gave MSU trouble. MSU lost big to N Arizona 7-34. Everyone can have an off week so I don't take much stock in this loss. However, in the last five games MSU has been outscored 115 to 112. Two of these games, should have been easy wins if MSU is a strong as billed. These two games I refer to is the UNC 37-35 win and the overtime 23-20 win over Idaho State. Idaho State is terrible. MSU had over 500 yards in this game but, to have to pull out an overtime win over the doormat of your conference is not good.

What about NDSU's last 5 games? NDSU has also won 4 of the last 5 games. They have had good wins over Indiana St, S Illinois, SDSU, and Robert Morris and one embarrassing offensive performance against Missouri State losing 3-0. Over the last 5, NDSU has outscored it's opponents 121-62. The strength of this team is the defense. With Brock Jensen at QB, the opposing defenses have been forced to respect the threat of a pass longer than a 5 yards. I'm seeing improvement in Brock each game and expect him to continue to improve. I can't help but wonder how good this team can be once they start clicking on offense for four quarters. If this happens, NDSU just might be the dark horse in this tournament. NDSU is coming into this game with a lot of momentum, a young team that believes can be dangerous.

MSU has the edge in the QB and WR department but I give the edge to NDSU in the RB category even though MSU has a good back. The problem is offenses don't play each other and I have to give the edge in defenses to the Bison. When I was reading some of the blogs for MSU and the claims that NDSU hasn't faced a QB like MSU's I was confused. I guess they forgot pass happy and accurate QB from Indiana St, the scrambling ability of the QB's from W Ill, USD, and UNI. They also forgot the high octane offense run by Missouri State's QB. It seams like every game in the MVC there was an impressive QB, this is why I give the edge to the Bison defense over the MSU offense. MSU defense has given up points. I won't get to involved with MSU's defense because frankly, which NDSU offense shows up is a bigger factor than how MSU has been playing lately on defense. If NDSU gets conservative in the play calling the MSU defense will have a big day.

I like NDSU's chances in this game. Getting Anderson and Willson back for this game is going to be huge. When you get right down to it, defense wins championships and NDSU definitely has the edge in my book.

I will pick NDSU in this one 34 - 21.
    Last edited by Scooter1; 12-02-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Montana St 23
    NDSU 19

What my gut tells me is that we've faced good quarterbacks before in Fouch, Barr, Brown, Rennie, Warren, and even Hess. I'd be intrigued to see how McGhee would do in a MVFC schedule (not that I think he'd do worse, It'd just be interesting to see how the two conferences compare) and I think our defense has seen enough good QB play to be able to limit one that is admittedly probably doing the best of all of the above.

It's going to come down to who wins the battle between NDSU's offense and MSU's defense (which is the same formula I used for WIU-NDSU, which ended up being a loss).

MSU is the favorite but I like our chances.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

I think we match up good against MSU but it really depends if this team is going to show up for all 4 quarters. If our offense sputters in the first half, we will lose by double digits. If we can move the ball all 4 quarters we will have a shot to pull out a close one.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

we just need to come out of the gate and play well to start. that may be a tall task. if we get down by 14 early. it's gonna be a long afternoon

we're one year away from something really special. great experience going on the road to a power like montana state in december.

Bobcats 25

Bison 14

IF the O comes out right away and puts a drive together we will be in good shape,BUT if its sluggish and 3 and outs or big mistakes... it will be a very very long day.....but im a bison faithful

NDSU 27
    MSU 21

Bison 31
    Gaybobcats 27

NDSU - 24
    Kitties - 17