Page 233 of 355 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283333 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 3547

Thread: Dome Upgrades

Default Re: Dome Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I don't think the city is targeting many events that would use the dome and need tons of breakout space. I think it's targeting smaller to medium sized ones. The dome is way too big for most of these but whether or not they build downtown or in south Fargo, the dome needs some upgrades that will provide additional space. That could mean a small addition to the south or the west or heck.. Why not partner with the SHAC and connect the buildings with a skyway?
    Then the point of building a whole new building
    Dt is moot.

Let the Dome expand like it needs to do so it can attract opportunities that they say they're currently losing. Again building downtown robs the Fargodome of its Surplus to appease a few high rollers.

The writing is on the wall...This thing is going to be built downtown if it is ever built. Real question is how to pay for it and whether that involves using the Dome surplus fund.
    Last edited by NDSUstudent; 06-05-2017 at 02:51 AM.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by MAKBison View Post
    Then the point of building a whole new building
    Dt is moot.

Let the Dome expand like it needs to do so it can attract opportunities that they say they're currently losing. Again building downtown robs the Fargodome of its Surplus to appease a few high rollers.
    I'm opposed to using the domes surplus downtown however I support it going downtown with a different source of funding. Would I vote for it? Possibly.

No matter what happens, the surplus needs to be used to give the dome additional seating and convention space. I love the idea they had to build a west concourse with a top row of seating. I also liked the original plan that had an addition to the south (pictured below but only the south addition and not the big building). Obviously it would need to be way bigger but I like the concept. I think they should add space on both the south and west side

ignore the new arena, just look at the south addition with the big windows. Make it bigger and that is a lot of square feet

also do this addition. Combined it will be huge and add premium seating for football

And then if they still think we need one downtown put it on the ballot

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

You're forgetting the fact that building proposed downtown does not result in a solution to the current problem. ..... having a Convention Center that can both host exhibitors and provide the the breakout space for speakers Etc.

Building a new facility downtown simply creates two useless Convention centers the dome and the one downtown. Again, Fargo needs a place that has an exhibit floor i.e., the Dome and then has room to host speaker sessions ie the proposed new building. Essentially what the downtown option does is splits up what is needed by putting the classrooms/speaker downtown versus building on at the Dome where a great exibit hall already exsist.

People keep talking about the restaurants and what not.... no one new is going to come to either space if they dont fulfill the needs of the organization.

In the past we had enough little venues that people could pick and choose according to what actually fit their needs and that has Worked reasonably well.... that is ever since we got enough hotels to accommodate ........that used to be a huge problem in Fargo.

Now the problem is that Fargo is outgrowing these current venues as we are starting to attract larger organizations that need/want more amenities..... more exhibit space, areas 4 speakers / classes and Catering. Again adding the latter two to the Fargodome creates this type of space creating a new space downtown does not.

As a person who sat on a board for an international organization that determine where their conference is held, i can tell you split venues like the one that we will essentially create if we build dt is a huge turnoff.

Thus, if this is built downtown the city is no further ahead than it was before we started. The only difference is the folks that currently hold conferences down town and would hold their conference downtown anyways get a nice cushy space to conference at....of course at the expense of the Fargodome Surplus

Now.....there is another Conference Center being proposed in West Fargo out at the fairgrounds that may alleviate this whole situation..... provide room for exhibitors as well as provide conference rooms etc. And it has all sorts of space for restaurants and hotels to be built up around it....... seems to me if we were thinking folks maybe we would pull all our money into that

I guess I'm wondering where you're getting the idea that the downtown location won't have a large exhibit space. Sure it won't be the same size as the Fargodome, but does it really need to be that big? For example, the Fargodome main floor is 80,000 sqft. The main space for Sioux Falls' convention center is 50,000 sqft. I don't think we've heard how big the city wants the main exhibit hall to be in this new convention center. But the basic footprint they proposed seemed to have a pretty large exhibit hall on one side of the structure, and lots of breakout space on the other.*

I'd also make a distinction between finished exhibit space and unfinished exhibit space. The Fargodome may have a very large exhibit hall, but it's basically unfinished. I'm sure a lot of conventions would rather have finished exhibit space with carpet, and finished walls and ceilings.

*A very crude estimate of the image provided to the Forum suggests an area of 30,000 sqft for one section of the building and around 90,000 sqft for the other. No way to know from the image which section would house the main exhibit hall and which would house the breakout space.
    Last edited by Hammersmith; 06-04-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post

I guess I'm wondering where you're getting the idea that the downtown location won't have a large exhibit space. Sure it won't be the same size as the Fargodome, but does it really need to be that big? For example, the Fargodome main floor is 80,000 sqft. The main space for Sioux Falls' convention center is 50,000 sqft. I don't think we've heard how big the city wants the main exhibit hall to be in this new convention center. But the basic footprint they proposed seemed to have a pretty large exhibit hall on one side of the structure, and lots of breakout space on the other.*

I'd also make a distinction between finished exhibit space and unfinished exhibit space. The Fargodome may have a very large exhibit hall, but it's basically unfinished. I'm sure a lot of conventions would rather have finished exhibit space with carpet, and finished walls and ceiling

*A very crude estimate of the image provided to the Forum suggests an area of 30,000 sqft for one section of the building and around 90,000 sqft for the other. No way to know from the image which section would house the main exhibit hall and which would house the breakout space.
    you are suggesting that the 90K and 30K sqf will all be allocated all for conferencing....i doubt it. Where is the catering service going to be? management, janitorial etc. When its all said and done the DT will be a small venue....which if is the case like i said...this is nothing more the haves spending the dome $$$ so they can new things. However, lets assume this will be add a large space for exhibitors…why spend $$$$ on it when it already exist at the FD. You can get do all this shit at the dom and have all your conference bases covered AND do it using less resources! I am sure this is why the hired consultant said the FD is the best place to have it. NOT too mention it will cost less to maintaine

Finished versus unfinished…never heard of this and it has never come up in all my years of selecting locations and or attending conferences. I have been to conferences in every major city both as an attendant and as a vendor. I can tell you that the venue having a carpet floor is not a factor anyone cares about. Why, Venues that have concrete floors rent out carpet for the space and they have a outlet plan.... what your suggesting is a non-factor. What matters, is ease to get there from the airport, did my shit get there and the venue being organized (can someone tell my where my spot is and does it have all the shit I ordered (electrical, tables wifi, and Yeah a carpet.).

Don’t get me wrong the best of both worlds is the Dome being DT. and I get the Dt appeal....not sure there really naymore hotel space then there is at the dome tho. Anyway.... MY biggest issue are 1) using the dome’s $$$$ to fund this…..which will happen. 2) I think NDSU a nd yes BFB benefits if this goes to the dome.
    Last edited by MAKBison; 06-05-2017 at 12:28 AM.

you are suggesting that the 90K and 30K sqf will all be allocated all for conferencing....i doubt it. Where is the catering service going to be? management, janitorial etc. When its all said and done the DT will be a small venue....which if is the case like i said...this is nothing more the haves spending the dome $$$ so they can new things. However, lets assume this will be add a large space for exhibitors…why spend $$$$ on it when it already exist at the FD. You can get do all this shit at the dom and have all your conference bases covered AND do it using less resources! I am sure this is why the hired consultant said the FD is the best place to have it. NOT too mention it will cost less to maintaine

Finished versus unfinished…never heard of this and it has never come up in all my years of selecting locations and or attending conferences. I have been to conferences in every major city both as an attendant and as a vendor. I can tell you that the venue having a carpet floor is not a factor anyone cares about. Why, Venues that have concrete floors rent out carpet for the space and they have a outlet plan.... what your suggesting is a non-factor. What matters, is ease to get there from the airport, did my shit get there and the venue being organized (can someone tell my where my spot is and does it have all the shit I ordered (electrical, tables wifi, and Yeah a carpet.).

Don’t get me wrong the best of both worlds is the Dome being DT. and I get the Dt appeal....not sure there really naymore hotel space then there is at the dome tho. Anyway.... MY biggest issue are 1) using the dome’s $$$$ to fund this…..which will happen. 2) I think NDSU a nd yes BFB benefits if this goes to the dome.
    Do I think all of the rough square footage I mentioned will be for conference space? Of course not. But why would it have to be. Again for comparison's sake, let's look at the brand new Sioux Falls Conference Center. The SFCC has a main exhibit hall of 50k sqft that can be configured 6 different ways, and a breakout space of 10k sqft that can be configured in 22 different ways. From my rough guestimates of 120k for the proposed FMCC(not including any second floor space), you're saying that over 60k sqft(or half the facility) won't be enough space for hallways, bathrooms, catering, management, custodial, etc.? Again for comparison, the total footprint of the SFCC is roughly around 130k sqft. Seems like they're in the same ballpark.

As for finished versus unfinished, of course there are many types of conventions that don't care one way or the other. Probably most don't care. But are you telling me that aren't any types of conferences out there that that wouldn't prefer this as their main exhibit space: (apologies if these pics come out really big)

over this:

What do I want? I want the FD money to be used to add some breakout space to the FD to allow it to better handle the types of conventions it's best at. Mostly the ones that draw attendees from a 100mi radius. These are conventions that need easy access and lots of parking because the attendees are all driving in for the day. They don't need many hotels, bars or restaurants because most attendees will be going home at the end of the day.

I want a separate convention space DT that focuses on regional or national conventions that are drawing attendees from hundreds or thousands of miles away. Attendees that are going to fly into Hector, grab a shuttle to their DT hotel, and then stay 3-5 days. Conventions that don't need 80k sqft of main exhibit hall space; 50k will be good enough. Also conventions that need lots and lots of versatile breakout space. And the money to build this one would come from someplace other than the FD fund.

Will there be some crossover of local conventions happening DT or regional conventions happening at the FD? Of course. But they would be the exception rather than the rule. And this idea would also allow two conventions to happen at the same time. Has the city lost conventions due to the Sportsmen's Show or the H&G Show or the Bridal Show, or Bison football? I bet they have. Enough to pay for the difference? Probably not. But maybe enough to make it intriguing.

(Spirit of full disclosure: The SFCC has a big advantage being connected to both the Sanford Premier Center and the old SF Arena. That gives the SFCC complex a ton of potential exhibit space. But the location has many of the same advantages/disadvantages of the FD location; just not quite so landlocked for future development. But I really think a pair of somewhat specialized facilities with a little overlap could beat it out in competition for conventions considering the upper plains.)

What do I want? I want the FD money to be used to add some breakout space to the FD to allow it to better handle the types of conventions it's best at. Mostly the ones that draw attendees from a 100mi radius. These are conventions that need easy access and lots of parking because the attendees are all driving in for the day. They don't need many hotels, bars or restaurants because most attendees will be going home at the end of the day.

I want a separate convention space DT that focuses on regional or national conventions that are drawing attendees from hundreds or thousands of miles away. Attendees that are going to fly into Hector, grab a shuttle to their DT hotel, and then stay 3-5 days. Conventions that don't need 80k sqft of main exhibit hall space; 50k will be good enough. Also conventions that need lots and lots of versatile breakout space. And the money to build this one would come from someplace other than the FD fund.

Will there be some crossover of local conventions happening DT or regional conventions happening at the FD? Of course. But they would be the exception rather than the rule. And this idea would also allow two conventions to happen at the same time. Has the city lost conventions due to the Sportsmen's Show or the H&G Show or the Bridal Show, or Bison football? I bet they have. Enough to pay for the difference? Probably not. But maybe enough to make it intriguing.

(Spirit of full disclosure: The SFCC has a big advantage being connected to both the Sanford Premier Center and the old SF Arena. That gives the SFCC complex a ton of potential exhibit space. But the location has many of the same advantages/disadvantages of the FD location; just not quite so landlocked for future development. But I really think a pair of somewhat specialized facilities with a little overlap could beat it out in competition for conventions considering the upper plains.)
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I think the Fargodome should use some surplus money for some new chairs.....
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Why do you think only regional and not national conferences need exhibit space. Note: the agency hosting does not make all that much $$$$ on attendee fees, the bulk of the $$$$ comes form vendor fees. The larger the vender area the more $$$$ the organization hosting the conference cane make. Are there more hotels DT then there are at the Dome? What the Dome needs is catering services and breakout space you get a completete facilty at a fraction of the building and maitaince cost of haveing 2 facitlities.