Page 164 of 355 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 3547

Thread: Dome Upgrades

BisonFan02 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Dome Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    No link necessary. Gravity is all you need to know.
    The bar napkin says otherwise..........

Why remove the columns when they could be... INVISIBLE!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HqwxNQyFbZA

No link necessary. Gravity is all you need to know.
    Correct.

Also, regarding the description of the columns and the truss like steel attached...yes they are purely aesthetic. I toured the dome as part of a structural engineering class not long after the dome opened. The story I recall is the architect thought the columns looked too thin even though structurally they were fine. So they added those to make them look more robust, which cost a lot due to all the in-place welding required.

End history lesson.
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Those 4 columns hold up the entire high roof and half of the low roof (upper roof is mostly flat, lower roof is sloped and ties in smoothly with upper roof on the outside, just wanted to clarify that as that is the way I view the structure of fargodome). There are 4 large girders that run between them that support all the roof joists. Could it be done theoretically yes no doubt about that. Financially though would be a whole different story and to gain what though? You barely could put any stands there as their are mechanical rooms in those corners that hang down low so any fix would have to be extremely cheap and guarantee you that fix is not possible in that manner. Again theoretically it could be done. But like road said your biggest issue is gravity that's a lot of weight to support and the best way to support gravity weight is straight down. The loads on those columns must be pretty high as those are not small columns by any means and they have 2 truss like stiffeners running down the side of them to create a triangular column similar to cell towers etc. Highly doubt those are merely for aesthetic purposes ONLY, their main reason is for structure and guessing EOR didn't really anticipate the problem NDSU was going to have 25 years later.
    Just to play devil's advocate a bit...

I could see the four columns being removed as part of a massive rebuild/expansion of the FD. New footings would be installed outside the existing footprint of the FD in the truncated corners. Then new columns and trusses would be installed with a new roof. This would allow the old roof/columns to be removed and a new exterior wall and second deck to be added(the existing stands would be removed and replaced with a more shallow pitched deck that would allow a new second deck to not be so high). The lower deck would be a full bowl, while the upper deck would lack corner seats just like the current layout. I think there's a G5 or low-P5 school that has a similar layout.

It would knock the FD out of commission for at least 12-18 months(significant prep work could be done without shutting the FD down). It would cost just as much as a brand new facility. OTOH, infrastructure like parking lots and arterial roads are already in place, and it's a perfect location. I don't expect it to happen, but I think it's at least possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post

I could see the four columns being removed as part of a massive rebuild/expansion of the FD. New footings would be installed outside the existing footprint of the FD in the truncated corners. Then new columns and trusses would be installed with a new roof. This would allow the old roof/columns to be removed and a new exterior wall and second deck to be added(the existing stands would be removed and replaced with a more shallow pitched deck that would allow a new second deck to not be so high). The lower deck would be a full bowl, while the upper deck would lack corner seats just like the current layout. I think there's a G5 or low-P5 school that has a similar layout.

It would knock the FD out of commission for at least 12-18 months(significant prep work could be done without shutting the FD down). It would cost just as much as a brand new facility. OTOH, infrastructure like parking lots and arterial roads are already in place, and it's a perfect location. I don't expect it to happen, but I think it's at least possible.

Yeah agree but the theory you put out eliminates some of the existing roof, so that really negates the "simple" fix.

As you stated doubt it would ever happen because in my opinion you'd be better off putting that kind of money towards building a new stadium and get more out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post

That's not "removing the pillars" as some like to say. That's basically a new structure. However, that's a good start for an idea for a bigger stadium in a good location on campus.
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

The bids are in and going to the Fargo City Commission for approval at their next meeting on Monday!

General - Ledgestone Inc $597,665
    Electrical - Dakota $194,200
    Mechanical - Gibbs $96,900
    Video Production/Walls - Alpha Video $1,437,050
    Daktronics - LED Scoreboards $4,314,854

The Fargodome Authority is asking the City to approve the project with a maximum amount of $7,700,000 which compares to the original estimates of $9,500,000. The 7.7 number includes architect, engineering and contingency costs.

Other bidders on the scoreboards were Mitsubishi, Panasonic, and YESCO

The end boards will be 100' x 30' with an upgrade to the resolution quality over and above what was in the specs. Daktronics added this alternate to their bid package which added $598,350 to the price.

533 In a row

The bids are in and going to the Fargo City Commission for approval at their next meeting on Monday!

The Fargodome Authority is asking the City to approve the project with a maximum amount of $7,700,000 which compares to the original estimates of $9,500,000. The 7.7 number includes architect, engineering and contingency costs.

The end boards will be 100' x 30' with an upgrade to the resolution quality over and above what was in the specs. Daktronics added this alternate to their bid package which added $598,350 to the price.

Bigger than the Bunnies?!?!
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I want to be able to see people's nose hairs on the jumbotron.