Page 285 of 355 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 3547

Thread: Dome Upgrades

Default Re: Dome Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    No I got that from a google image search. The angle is to show if it can be raised a few feet
    Nobody believes you

http://kfgo.com/podcasts/it-takes-2/...the-fargodome/

Executive Director of the Fargodome authority on KFGO talking about what upgrades they are hoping to get done.

Listen for yourselves but if I remember correctly he said a few of the following:
    Remove the endzone press boxes, replace with regular stadium seats.
    West side update- Larger renovated concourse, comes with bathrooms etc for Press.
    South Side- larger renovated concourse, with new and/or expanded locker rooms
    East side- try and get some club seats "with a view of the field"
    North side: "hopefully renovate the concourse their too"
    Larger convention space on south side- sounds like the "grand hall would be 30-50k sq ft
    (this part I couldn't decipher) he said "an additional 80-100k sq ft meeting space. I'm not sure if this is in addition to the 30-50k exhibition space, or if that is all the support space need to have the exhibition space in the first place.
    He also said this space would CONNECT the BSA to the Fargodome "three connected, climate controlled facilities". He never mentioned a skyway- which leads me to believe that they literally might all be one massive AF building.

He said the full convention space would be financed through motel/hotel and maybe even a restaurant tax if I remember correctly. The larger exhibition hall seemed to be a fargodome expense from what I could tell
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Seems like connecting the three without a skyway or tunnel would result in WAY more than 150,000 sq. ft.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Agreed... that building would be absolutely immense. I cant imagine they wouldn't have a skyway from BSA to convention space. but to play devils advocate, the 150,000sqft could actually be the physical convention space square footage, which would mean the building would be much larger.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    He also said this space would CONNECT the BSA to the Fargodome "three connected, climate controlled facilities". He never mentioned a skyway- which leads me to believe that they literally might all be one massive AF building.
    This has some potential for some truly massive youth/amateur basketball & wrestling tourneys. A lot of basketball courts and wrestling mats could fit into those facilities.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    http://kfgo.com/podcasts/it-takes-2/...the-fargodome/

Executive Director of the Fargodome authority on KFGO talking about what upgrades they are hoping to get done.

Listen for yourselves but if I remember correctly he said a few of the following:
    Remove the endzone press boxes, replace with regular stadium seats.
    West side update- Larger renovated concourse, comes with bathrooms etc for Press.
    South Side- larger renovated concourse, with new and/or expanded locker rooms
    East side- try and get some club seats "with a view of the field"
    North side: "hopefully renovate the concourse their too"
    Larger convention space on south side- sounds like the "grand hall would be 30-50k sq ft
    (this part I couldn't decipher) he said "an additional 80-100k sq ft meeting space. I'm not sure if this is in addition to the 30-50k exhibition space, or if that is all the support space need to have the exhibition space in the first place.

He said the full convention space would be financed through motel/hotel and maybe even a restaurant tax if I remember correctly. The larger exhibition hall seemed to be a fargodome expense from what I could tell
    I think connecting the dome, new addition, and the SHAC would be so awesome. The whole building / complex would be massive and gives the dome the right kind of space they need to generate revenue. Using the SHAC could be a revenue driver for NDSU and a huge benefit to the dome. We wouldn't have to build as much space and it would give conventions and shows some great flexibility. A side benefit is it would be great for students / players / recruits / coaches when you don't have to walk across the street in 50 below zero weather to the SHAC. Also it could improve student attendance because they could probably wait in line indoors in the dead of the winter. Even for the USA wrestling, it's cool to connect the 2 buildings. I'm curious if they could incorporate a street under the connection to the shac or just have a short skyway.

I love the idea of widening the concourses and adding bathrooms because when the dome is full, it's a major obnoxious issue. Also when it's 50 below zero, having double doors would greatly improve the visitor experience.

If they do something on the west side, they really really need to make sure they can build it so they can add skyboxes in the future so they don't end up with a situation where additions aren't load bearing, like on the east.

I like the funding idea because I would hate to completely eliminate the surplus fund. I like the lodging/hotel tax but I'm kind of meh on a bar and restaurant tax since that hits everyone, but I'm not completely opposed to it either.
    Last edited by HerdBot; 06-15-2018 at 07:36 PM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

What about the whole debate regarding building a convention center downtown? Has that been settled or is this a decision the FargoDome is making separate from that previous debate somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    What about the whole debate regarding building a convention center downtown? Has that been settled or is this a decision the FargoDome is making separate from that previous debate somehow?
    1 - The debate hit a dead end
    2 - Fargodome Authority is doing this on their own, however the city commission has to approve anything they do.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    It was a stupid idea. Just upgrade the dome and inexpensively refurbish the Civic Center, which is a solid venue, into a dual use venue for arts and concerts. The convention space that used to be at Centennial Hall will work better at the dome. There is a reason they tore it down because it lost money and wasnt used. Any commissioner who wants to take the Fargodome surplus money and waste in on another downtown facility is out of their mind. The city has a bigger need to compete with the Alerus Center and the Denny Sanford Center in Sioux Falls

Downtown is doing just fine without a convention center. Most people who go to conventions or concerts at the dome will make their way downtown anyways. Downtown has a bigger need for every day type businesses so people who live there dont have to drive to Northport. The loss of Metro drug sucks for downtown people who need to buy everyday items.
    Last edited by HerdBot; 06-16-2018 at 12:42 AM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have said this before and will say it again. As somebody who is concerned more about the future of NDSU then the future of the Fargo convention business, this stinks. Why should NDSU lgive up more property and further lock ourselves into the Dome? This makes no sense!