Page 278 of 355 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288328 ... LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 3547

Thread: Dome Upgrades

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Dome Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I've never understood this, either. It is common sense. Unless every state in the union says no more of it, it is the market reality.
    Keep in mind the stadiums are only used for NFL games/events maybe 10-12 times per year. There are many other events held in those stadiums, especially the indoor ones. NFL teams are not in the business of facility management and booking events so it makes a lot more sense for a city or other entity to build and run the stadiums. The NFL teams are the primary and most visible tenant and they seem to get good revenue streams from non-NFL events held there, but ultimately the stadiums likely aren't built without the NFL team in the first place. So they do go hand in hand. It is rare when you have an owner like Robert Kraft who built his own stadium. He must have the structure in place to manage all that. Good for him, but he's unique.

If a city chooses to not invest in those kinds of projects though that's on them. I know Indianapolis has benefitted greatly from having professional teams and the facilities that come with them. Louisville and Indianapolis are very similar cities in geography and size but very different in perception and the amount of ancillary business the sporting events and conventions bring in because of their investment in the facilities. It may not be a hard dollar bottom line difference that's easy to articulate though.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Keep in mind the stadiums are only used for NFL games/events maybe 10-12 times per year. There are many other events held in those stadiums, especially the indoor ones. NFL teams are not in the business of facility management and booking events so it makes a lot more sense for a city or other entity to build and run the stadiums. The NFL teams are the primary and most visible tenant and they seem to get good revenue streams from non-NFL events held there, but ultimately the stadiums likely aren't built without the NFL team in the first place. So they do go hand in hand. It is rare when you have an owner like Robert Kraft who built his own stadium. He must have the structure in place to manage all that. Good for him, but he's unique.

If a city chooses to not invest in those kinds of projects though that's on them. I know Indianapolis has benefitted greatly from having professional teams and the facilities that come with them. Louisville and Indianapolis are very similar cities in geography and size but very different in perception and the amount of ancillary business the sporting events and conventions bring in because of their investment in the facilities. It may not be a hard dollar bottom line difference that's easy to articulate though.
    Yeah, I don't know if it's really worthwhile, but most are used for a lot more than football. US Bank Stadium hosts over 100 baseball games each year. They open it up for rollerblading and running. Several concerts. X-Games. It's not just a football stadium, it's a regional resource.

Most years I attend fewer Bison football games than I do other events at the Fargodome.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    And lack of ability to upgrade infrastructure.
    I dont think we need a 30k seat stadium to move up. We probably need a few thousand more seats though. I'll repost my prior post

To play devils advocate. While a 19k seat stadium isn't ideal, check out the G5 conference attendance averages.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/st...all-attendance

American - 28,669
    Mountain West - 24,963
    Conference USA - 19,248
    Sunbelt- 17,843
    MAC - 15,390

I can count 32 FBS teams that average under 20k and 12 teams that averaged between 20-25k . Quite a few more between 26-30

Were right at or close to the average of 3/5 of the G5 schools right now.

Would you trade our atmosphere for some mediocre G5 school just so we are larger?

I think a more realistic goal is to increase the capacity between 20-22. That's the competition. Well never be a power 5 school. Ever. And given the attendance trends nationally, I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers shrink more

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I dont think we need a 30k seat stadium to move up. We probably need a few thousand more seats though. I'll repost my prior post

To play devils advocate. While a 19k seat stadium isn't ideal, check out the G5 conference attendance averages.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/st...all-attendance

American - 28,669
    Mountain West - 24,963
    Conference USA - 19,248
    Sunbelt- 17,843
    MAC - 15,390

I can count 32 FBS teams that average under 20k and 12 teams that averaged between 20-25k . Quite a few more between 26-30

Were right at or close to the average of 3/5 of the G5 schools right now.

Would you trade our atmosphere for some mediocre G5 school just so we are larger?

I think a more realistic goal is to increase the capacity between 20-22. That's the competition. Well never be a power 5 school. Ever. And given the attendance trends nationally, I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers shrink more
    It's a tough question for sure. What is the right number if all of the chips fell the right way? Is it 25K? 30K? It needs to have a roof which makes expansion much more difficult, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    It's a tough question for sure. What is the right number if all of the chips fell the right way? Is it 25K? 30K? It needs to have a roof which makes expansion much more difficult, obviously.
    I'd go 30K, 35K if cost difference marginal.

I'd go 30K, 35K if cost difference marginal.
    You guys overestimate demand as badly as you underestimate costs. There were several games this past season that were not full, even into the playoffs, and you want to almost double the capacity?

I was guilty of that too complaining about the SHAC. But it turns out the SHAC is only half full...and that's with the best attendance in the Summit.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    You guys overestimate demand as badly as you underestimate costs. There were several games this past season that were not full, even into the playoffs, and you want to almost double the capacity?

I was guilty of that too complaining about the SHAC. But it turns out the SHAC is only half full...and that's with the best attendance in the Summit.
    So was the FFD; never usually had more than 10K. I see no difference; build for the future, not the past. Do it right, or don't do it. (And it is the later that I think will happen since the powers seem to fixate on comparing to FCS, which I don't think is the right comparison.)

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The fargodome is the elephant in the room no doubt. However, before it can be dealt with the AD has to "clear the deck" in order to get the rest of our facilities up to par. Taking care of Softball and getting an IPF for football goes a long ways towards that. However, we will need to do something With the Ellig track complex and bring it up to DI standards. After that, the next big project will be a basketball specific arena. The SHAC isn't going to get us into the MVC/MWC/MAC. Scheels arena will be a great home for wrestling and Volleyball, but let's face it, that project was a boondoggle and won't get us where we want to go long term. It's the third best arena out of the four Dakota schools. Anyways, after that, the Dome will have to be addressed.

So was the FFD; never usually had more than 10K. I see no difference; build for the future, not the past. Do it right, or don't do it. (And it is the later that I think will happen since the powers seem to fixate on comparing to FCS, which I don't think is the right comparison.)
    That's not the way things are done anymore though. The future is smaller full stadiums, not large empty ones. It's why US Bank Stadium isn't much bigger than the Metrodome and why TCF is smaller. It's why Arizona State and USC are reducing capacity. The new Rams stadium has been reduced by about 15K seats from the original plans. Teams want full stadiums with better amenities for a better atmosphere and a higher price per seat. The era of overbuilt stadiums is over.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    That's not the way things are done anymore though. The future is smaller full stadiums, not large empty ones. It's why US Bank Stadium isn't much bigger than the Metrodome and why TCF is smaller. It's why Arizona State and USC are reducing capacity. The new Rams stadium has been reduced by about 15K seats from the original plans. Teams want full stadiums with better amenities for a better atmosphere and a higher price per seat. The era of overbuilt stadiums is over.
    Yep. Everyone wants what the Fargodome already has. For some reason, people here want what crappy MAC atmospheres have

We average more fans per game than the Mac and Sunbelt. These are the schools we are closer to. Were never ever going to be Big Ten, Big 12, or SEC

2017 G5 Attendance Averages
    American - 28,669
    Mountain West - 24,963
    Conference USA - 19,248
    Sunbelt- 17,843
    MAC - 15,390

We just need to get slightly over 20-21k seats and we will be fine. Unless someone has an extra 750 million laying around or want to risk not having a diversion and living in an ice like venice

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com