Page 274 of 355 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 3547

Thread: Dome Upgrades

Default Re: Dome Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Most of Bisonville already knows that the dome can seat about 18,700 for football, and the options for expansion are very limited with a high cost to rearrange and maybe increase seating by 1000 seats. Here are some good questions, mostly ignored or ridiculed, that should be discussed:
    1. How many years will it be before anything is done about the situation given the continued high demand for tickets (10, 15 or 20+ years from now)?
    2. Where else in the country can you find a situation like NDSU with a relatively small 25 year old venue that consistently sells out for 6 years in a row with thousands waiting for tickets, but no expansion plans seriously considered, in progress or underway? Many programs dream of having a situation like this and would welcome the opportunity to grow.
    3. It is OK to just do nothing and use the situation to raise ticket prices to those that have them and just slowly turn people off to the idea of ever getting them?
    4. Where is the leadership to recognize the problem and at least propose some options, costs, timelines and issues (location, funding, etc.)? If the public sees all as impossible and unrealistic than so be it, but to not even try and see how the public responds is just wrong. The guy who proposed the Fargodome is considered a visionary now, yet back then many thought he was crazy. Those who get challenging things done first dream about it and then do something to make it happen. I guess stagnation and status quo is good enough for another 25 years with the current leadership at NDSU.
    I know the anti growth posters will respond citing current financial woes in ND, like its going to last forever. Is there something wrong with at least gathering some proposals for the time being? Why not work to change the rules to allow bonding for projects like most states already do (South Dakota recently did this). Because of bonding South Dakota is currently kicking ass with facilities, for example at USD (better basketball venue than SHAC), and at SDSU (new stadium and indoor practice facility).
    Dreamer, but not probably a believer...but
    West of 18th, south of Appeoro, north of 15th.
    Have to find replacement plots for the agriculture. And minor issue of money..
    Somewhere there is an idea for a $ 55 mil Performing Arts Center downtown, and a convention center downtown....

Umm let see build a new huge stadium, then when its done, convert the Fargodome to the New performing Arts Center, and Convention Center.

problem solved....Hah...wait until I put my bike helmet on before bashing..

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Actually my lunch is turkey and cheese. I'd love a new stadium. But I'm not going to pay for it. Are you? Can you demonstrate how NDSU can make the financials work, or are you just one of those guys who buys fancy cars and ends up bankrupt because you ignore basic financial principles?

I'm not against a new stadium, but I have yet to see any of the proponents of one show how it would be good for NDSU's bottom line. I don't think that's too much to ask, that is if it's as easy as you make it out to be.
    I think those in charge can make an effort to look at the alternatives. Have not seen much in that area. The undersized dome is 25 years old. At first, proposals can be made and financing options pursued later. Does not require something be done, but better to at least try and evaluate versus giving up and doing nothing. The demand for Bison football tickets is not going away.

As for my dream car, I grew up in a cracker box sized home in Moorhead, finally got a junker car to drive during my senior year in high school and earned my Engineering degree from NDSU. After raising my kids finally got to buy my dream car 6 years ago with very little finance charges. Anything is possible. You can dream, be responsible and make good things happen.

I think those in charge can make an effort to look at the alternatives. Have not seen much in that area. The undersized dome is 25 years old. At first, proposals can be made and financing options pursued later. Does not require something be done, but better to at least try and evaluate versus giving up and doing nothing. The demand for Bison football tickets is not going away.

As for my dream car, I grew up in a cracker box sized home in Moorhead, finally got a junker car to drive during my senior year in high school and earned my Engineering degree from NDSU. After raising my kids finally got to buy my dream car 6 years ago with very little finance charges. Anything is possible. You can dream, be responsible and make good things happen.
    To play devils advocate. While a 19k seat stadium isn't ideal, check out the G5 conference attendance averages.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/st...all-attendance

American - 28,669
    Mountain West - 24,963
    Conference USA - 19,248
    Sunbelt- 17,843
    MAC - 15,390

I can count 32 FBS teams that average under 20k and 12 teams that averaged between 20-25k . Quite a few more between 26-30

Were right at or close to the average of 3/5 of the G5 schools right now.

Would you trade our atmosphere for some mediocre G5 school just so we are larger?

I think a more realistic goal is to increase the capacity between 20-22. That's the competition. Well never be a power 5 school. Ever. And given the attendance trends nationally, I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers shrink more

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    The engineer that I work with says they are required stiffeners.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.
    We toured the dome as part of a structural engineering class I took in about 1995. We were told the small columns and diagonal braces were added by the architect after the columns were built because they didn't look very substantial and seemed out of proportion with the rest of the structural system. They do nothing other than give the columns a beefier look.
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    To play devils advocate. While a 19k seat stadium isn't ideal, check out the G5 conference attendance averages.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/st...all-attendance

American - 28,669
    Mountain West - 24,963
    Conference USA - 19,248
    Sunbelt- 17,843
    MAC - 15,390

I can count 32 FBS teams that average under 20k and 12 teams that averaged between 20-25k . Quite a few more between 26-30

Were right at or close to the average of 3/5 of the G5 schools right now.

Would you trade our atmosphere for some mediocre G5 school just so we are larger?

I think a more realistic goal is to increase the capacity between 20-22. That's the competition. Well never be a power 5 school. Ever. And given the attendance trends nationally, I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers shrink more
    I think the best use of expansion would be suites and club areas. This is the Dome's biggest weakness IMO and the only major thing left that dates it. The trouble is that NDSU does not get the suite revenue today, only the ticket revenue within the suites. At least that's how I understand it. Any new luxury areas would need to be built by NDSU so they get the revenue from them. If the Fargodome builds them and keeps all the revenue like they do today that won't do NDSU much good. In which case I'd advocate for more seats instead.

SD is correct; the most disturbing issue is the lack of true, serious public discourse.

With this said, even if there was public discourse (which is seriously needed), I don't see a good way forward as it must be indoor which makes the costs crazy. But, that is exactly why we need creative people brainstorming publicly on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    I think the best use of expansion would be suites and club areas. This is the Dome's biggest weakness IMO and the only major thing left that dates it. The trouble is that NDSU does not get the suite revenue today, only the ticket revenue within the suites. At least that's how I understand it. Any new luxury areas would need to be built by NDSU so they get the revenue from them. If the Fargodome builds them and keeps all the revenue like they do today that won't do NDSU much good. In which case I'd advocate for more seats instead.
    An old article I read, the idea of getting a sky box on the west side (top row) we would get premium teammakers fees from it. The big totals like you see on the 50 yard line. Suite revenue, probably not. Getting the big money teammakers dues would be huge though.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    SD is correct; the most disturbing issue is the lack of true, serious public discourse.

With this said, even if there was public discourse (which is seriously needed), I don't see a good way forward as it must be indoor which makes the costs crazy. But, that is exactly why we need creative people brainstorming publicly on this stuff.
    My fear is they (NDSU and Fargo) will sit on it and do nothing for the next 25 years. Nowhere else in the USA would this small to mid size venue be kept and limit fan growth for that long.

My fear is they (NDSU and Fargo) will sit on it and do nothing for the next 25 years. Nowhere else in the USA would this small to mid size venue be kept and limit fan growth for that long.
    I fundamentally agree with this argument. Only thing I'll say in the leaders defense is how unusual NDSU is in the national landscape, so no great places they can compare to out there, outside of perhaps Montana. And they have a much bigger stadium.....I guess I just made your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I fundamentally agree with this argument. Only thing I'll say in the leaders defense is how unusual NDSU is in the national landscape, so no great places they can compare to out there, outside of perhaps Montana. And they have a much bigger stadium.....I guess I just made your argument.
    Key thing is they were smart enough to have an expandable venue. Regardless if indoor or outdoor things can be done to allow for expandability. The dome is nice but it's biggest flaw is no ability to significantly expand.