Page 129 of 355 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 3547

Thread: Dome Upgrades

Default Re: Dome Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    99% percent of the time the taxpayer loses money on sh#t like this. 90% of the time it's big time money.

If it's such a great deal create an entertainment tax district in the downtown area and have the hotels, bars, and restaurants there pay for it.
    If they're going to do this, the money needs to come from somewhere and it shouldn't be the FargoDome maintenance fund.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    From the story yesterday the renovation or rebuild would be to 2,200 which they paid $110,000 or whatever to decide was the right size. I guess the story didn't address specifically what events they were looking to attract, I just assumed it would be auditorium shows including they type of stuff they do in the civic now, small concerts, comedians and the like. The Theatre set up at the FargoDome is what? 3,500+, and what do they do there? Cirque, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Buddy Holly? That's pretty mainstream stuff with a broad appeal and you can get in the door for $30 a show. It's not like they're staging the North American debut of "Black Watch" or something.

I'm not sure why you included the Civic in your venue rundown. If they do this it's not going to compete because it won't exist which means there wouldn't be a venue between the Fargo Theatre and Scheels Center in size.
    The dome sucks for concerts that only have 3500. It feels cavernous and I would imagine it costs ten times as much for a promoter to book something there compared to the civic.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    The dome sucks for concerts that only have 3500. It feels cavernous and I would imagine it costs ten times as much for a promoter to book something there compared to the civic.
    I guess if they can't find $50 million somewhere you get your wish, The Civic just keeps being The Civic? I'd prefer that to raiding the FargoDome maintenance fund in order to pay for an upgrade. But really, it's a ratty old gym. If they can find an acceptable mechanism for funding an upgrade would be a welcome addition. Obviously, that's easier said than done.

Just FYI: Chris Cornell is doing an auditorium tour this fall. The venue in Minneapolis is about 2,100 seats (State Theatre) and the one in DC is less than 2,000 (Strathmore). I just picked those two because I've been in them, but he's playing in cities like York and Wiles-Barre, PA, Salina, KS, and Modesto, CA. So a 2,200 seat venue in Fargo can get good rock shows.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I guess if they can't find $50 million somewhere you get your wish, The Civic just keeps being The Civic? I'd prefer that to raiding the FargoDome maintenance fund in order to pay for an upgrade. But really, it's a ratty old gym. If they can find an acceptable mechanism for funding an upgrade would be a welcome addition. Obviously, that's easier said than done.

Just FYI: Chris Cornell is doing an auditorium tour this fall. The venue in Minneapolis is about 2,100 seats (State Theatre) and the one in DC is less than 2,000 (Strathmore). I just picked those two because I've been in them, but he's playing in cities like York and Wiles-Barre, PA, Salina, KS, and Modesto, CA. So a 2,200 seat venue in Fargo can get good rock shows.
    I would rather see them upgrade the dome to focus on trade shows and weddings and keep the civic as is but just do a basic remodel. I think the civic is still a solid venue it just needs some TLC and doesn't need to be rebuilt again. I've seen so many good shows there over the years. Best acoustics in Fargo. I would rather watch a sold out 3500 show there instead of 4000 at the dome feeling like a cavern.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

I would rather see them upgrade the dome to focus on trade shows and weddings and keep the civic as is but just do a basic remodel. I think the civic is still a solid venue it just needs some TLC and doesn't need to be rebuilt again. I've seen so many good shows there over the years. Best acoustics in Fargo. I would rather watch a sold out 3500 show there instead of 4000 at the dome feeling like a cavern.
    Best acoustics compared to what? All the other big empty boxes that can also host popular music concerts in addition to what they were actually designed for?

Agreed...The place is great for rock shows.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Best acoustics compared to what? All the other big empty boxes that can also host popular music concerts in addition to what they were actually designed for?
    The civic was designed for music acoustics. Places like scheels arena and the dome are awful because you have the sound bouncing off of metal which is the worst for sound. The dome knows this which is why we have those sound panels in the corners. It helps a little but it's not even in the same ballpark as the civic center.

It's hard to explain but it's so true.

The civic was designed for music acoustics. Places like scheels arena and the dome are awful because you have the sound bouncing off of metal which is the worst for sound. The dome knows this which is why we have those sound panels in the corners. It helps a little but it's not even in the same ballpark as the civic center.

It's hard to explain but it's so true.
    I think those are corner curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by A1pigskin View Post
    I think those are corner curtains.
    I'm talking about the corner panels that have ndsu, shooting star... those were cleverly put up for absorbing sound while doubling as sponsors. It makes the dome acoustics go from terrible to below average

I'm talking about the corner panels that have ndsu, shooting star... those were cleverly put up for absorbing sound while doubling as sponsors. It makes the dome acoustics go from terrible to below average
    Or hiding the ugly *ss walls behind them too. Think you guys both are on the same page. lol.