Page 279 of 299 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,790 of 2987

Thread: Dome Upgrades

Default Re: Dome Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Yes. Pro teams that blackmail the state to continually build new stadiums
    Hey now, don't blame the team. All they have to do is threaten to leave the state and they throw money at them to build a new stadium. Who wouldn't take advantage of that? Why pay for a stadium when someone else will?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    The Fargodome ia built out of brick and has a steel roof. Its lifespan was estimated to be over 100 years. The building itself is pristine other than some general wear and tear, lack of sky boxes/suites, and some new wifi.
    And lack of ability to upgrade infrastructure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnuffleupagus View Post
    Hey now, don't blame the team. All they have to do is threaten to leave the state and they throw money at them to build a new stadium. Who wouldn't take advantage of that? Why pay for a stadium when someone else will?
    I've never understood this, either. It is common sense. Unless every state in the union says no more of it, it is the market reality.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I've never understood this, either. It is common sense. Unless every state in the union says no more of it, it is the market reality.
    Keep in mind the stadiums are only used for NFL games/events maybe 10-12 times per year. There are many other events held in those stadiums, especially the indoor ones. NFL teams are not in the business of facility management and booking events so it makes a lot more sense for a city or other entity to build and run the stadiums. The NFL teams are the primary and most visible tenant and they seem to get good revenue streams from non-NFL events held there, but ultimately the stadiums likely aren't built without the NFL team in the first place. So they do go hand in hand. It is rare when you have an owner like Robert Kraft who built his own stadium. He must have the structure in place to manage all that. Good for him, but he's unique.

If a city chooses to not invest in those kinds of projects though that's on them. I know Indianapolis has benefitted greatly from having professional teams and the facilities that come with them. Louisville and Indianapolis are very similar cities in geography and size but very different in perception and the amount of ancillary business the sporting events and conventions bring in because of their investment in the facilities. It may not be a hard dollar bottom line difference that's easy to articulate though.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Keep in mind the stadiums are only used for NFL games/events maybe 10-12 times per year. There are many other events held in those stadiums, especially the indoor ones. NFL teams are not in the business of facility management and booking events so it makes a lot more sense for a city or other entity to build and run the stadiums. The NFL teams are the primary and most visible tenant and they seem to get good revenue streams from non-NFL events held there, but ultimately the stadiums likely aren't built without the NFL team in the first place. So they do go hand in hand. It is rare when you have an owner like Robert Kraft who built his own stadium. He must have the structure in place to manage all that. Good for him, but he's unique.

If a city chooses to not invest in those kinds of projects though that's on them. I know Indianapolis has benefitted greatly from having professional teams and the facilities that come with them. Louisville and Indianapolis are very similar cities in geography and size but very different in perception and the amount of ancillary business the sporting events and conventions bring in because of their investment in the facilities. It may not be a hard dollar bottom line difference that's easy to articulate though.
    Yeah, I don't know if it's really worthwhile, but most are used for a lot more than football. US Bank Stadium hosts over 100 baseball games each year. They open it up for rollerblading and running. Several concerts. X-Games. It's not just a football stadium, it's a regional resource.

Most years I attend fewer Bison football games than I do other events at the Fargodome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    And lack of ability to upgrade infrastructure.
    I dont think we need a 30k seat stadium to move up. We probably need a few thousand more seats though. I'll repost my prior post

To play devils advocate. While a 19k seat stadium isn't ideal, check out the G5 conference attendance averages.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/st...all-attendance

American - 28,669
    Mountain West - 24,963
    Conference USA - 19,248
    Sunbelt- 17,843
    MAC - 15,390

I can count 32 FBS teams that average under 20k and 12 teams that averaged between 20-25k . Quite a few more between 26-30

Were right at or close to the average of 3/5 of the G5 schools right now.

Would you trade our atmosphere for some mediocre G5 school just so we are larger?

I think a more realistic goal is to increase the capacity between 20-22. That's the competition. Well never be a power 5 school. Ever. And given the attendance trends nationally, I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers shrink more

14X FOOTBALL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Since 1960, NDSU has more Football Championships than any team in the NFL , D1A, D1AA, D2 or D3
    1965-1968-1969-1983-1985-1986-1988-1990-2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2017

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I dont think we need a 30k seat stadium to move up. We probably need a few thousand more seats though. I'll repost my prior post

To play devils advocate. While a 19k seat stadium isn't ideal, check out the G5 conference attendance averages.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/st...all-attendance

American - 28,669
    Mountain West - 24,963
    Conference USA - 19,248
    Sunbelt- 17,843
    MAC - 15,390

I can count 32 FBS teams that average under 20k and 12 teams that averaged between 20-25k . Quite a few more between 26-30

Were right at or close to the average of 3/5 of the G5 schools right now.

Would you trade our atmosphere for some mediocre G5 school just so we are larger?

I think a more realistic goal is to increase the capacity between 20-22. That's the competition. Well never be a power 5 school. Ever. And given the attendance trends nationally, I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers shrink more
    It's a tough question for sure. What is the right number if all of the chips fell the right way? Is it 25K? 30K? It needs to have a roof which makes expansion much more difficult, obviously.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    It's a tough question for sure. What is the right number if all of the chips fell the right way? Is it 25K? 30K? It needs to have a roof which makes expansion much more difficult, obviously.
    I'd go 30K, 35K if cost difference marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I'd go 30K, 35K if cost difference marginal.
    You guys overestimate demand as badly as you underestimate costs. There were several games this past season that were not full, even into the playoffs, and you want to almost double the capacity?

I was guilty of that too complaining about the SHAC. But it turns out the SHAC is only half full...and that's with the best attendance in the Summit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    You guys overestimate demand as badly as you underestimate costs. There were several games this past season that were not full, even into the playoffs, and you want to almost double the capacity?

I was guilty of that too complaining about the SHAC. But it turns out the SHAC is only half full...and that's with the best attendance in the Summit.
    So was the FFD; never usually had more than 10K. I see no difference; build for the future, not the past. Do it right, or don't do it. (And it is the later that I think will happen since the powers seem to fixate on comparing to FCS, which I don't think is the right comparison.)