Page 273 of 355 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 3547

Thread: Dome Upgrades

Default Re: Dome Upgrades

I thought someone once said the triangular things next to the corner pillars are really just for show and all of the weight is carried by the round pillars.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    I thought someone once said the triangular things next to the corner pillars are really just for show and all of the weight is carried by the round pillars.
    I strongly suspect the two smaller pillars connected to the main pillar act as stiffeners. They may not take much of the roof load, but they keep a relatively long and slender structure from bowing out in any direction while under load.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I strongly suspect the two smaller pillars connected to the main pillar act as stiffeners. They may not take much of the roof load, but they keep a relatively long and slender structure from bowing out in any direction while under load.
    The engineer that I work with says they are required stiffeners.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post

Keeps the pillars from buckling under the ever increasing vinyl number banner weight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post

Cue Izzy---
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Most of Bisonville already knows that the dome can seat about 18,700 for football, and the options for expansion are very limited with a high cost to rearrange and maybe increase seating by 1000 seats. Here are some good questions, mostly ignored or ridiculed, that should be discussed:
    1. How many years will it be before anything is done about the situation given the continued high demand for tickets (10, 15 or 20+ years from now)?
    2. Where else in the country can you find a situation like NDSU with a relatively small 25 year old venue that consistently sells out for 6 years in a row with thousands waiting for tickets, but no expansion plans seriously considered, in progress or underway? Many programs dream of having a situation like this and would welcome the opportunity to grow.
    3. It is OK to just do nothing and use the situation to raise ticket prices to those that have them and just slowly turn people off to the idea of ever getting them?
    4. Where is the leadership to recognize the problem and at least propose some options, costs, timelines and issues (location, funding, etc.)? If the public sees all as impossible and unrealistic than so be it, but to not even try and see how the public responds is just wrong. The guy who proposed the Fargodome is considered a visionary now, yet back then many thought he was crazy. Those who get challenging things done first dream about it and then do something to make it happen. I guess stagnation and status quo is good enough for another 25 years with the current leadership at NDSU.
    I know the anti growth posters will respond citing current financial woes in ND, like its going to last forever. Is there something wrong with at least gathering some proposals for the time being? Why not work to change the rules to allow bonding for projects like most states already do (South Dakota recently did this). Because of bonding South Dakota is currently kicking ass with facilities, for example at USD (better basketball venue than SHAC), and at SDSU (new stadium and indoor practice facility).

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

NDSU is being smart, for reasons that have been gone over here ad nauseum. First off, the Fargodome is perfectly sized for every event it hosts except Bison football. There isn't going to be any public funding to replace or significantly expand it, nor should there be. Second, live attendance at college football is on the decline across the country. Third, attendance doesn't really matter to NDSU as much as revenue does. Current ticket prices are among the highest in FCS. How much revenue is SDSU's usually half empty stadium generating after bond payments? How did USD basketball attendance compare to NDSU? I happen to think the SHAC arena was a big failure but it still seems to be drawing OK, best in the Summit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    NDSU is being smart, for reasons that have been gone over here ad nauseum. First off, the Fargodome is perfectly sized for every event it hosts except Bison football. There isn't going to be any public funding to replace or significantly expand it, nor should there be. Second, live attendance at college football is on the decline across the country. Third, attendance doesn't really matter to NDSU as much as revenue does. How much revenue is SDSU's usually half empty stadium generating after bond payments? How did USD basketball attendance compare to NDSU? I happen to think the SHAC arena was a big failure but it still seems to be drawing OK, best in the Summit anyway.
    Stick meet Mud. Thanks for being dull.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    NDSU is being smart, for reasons that have been gone over here ad nauseum. First off, the Fargodome is perfectly sized for every event it hosts except Bison football. There isn't going to be any public funding to replace or significantly expand it, nor should there be. Second, live attendance at college football is on the decline across the country. Third, attendance doesn't really matter to NDSU as much as revenue does. Current ticket prices are among the highest in FCS. How much revenue is SDSU's usually half empty stadium generating after bond payments? How did USD basketball attendance compare to NDSU? I happen to think the SHAC arena was a big failure but it still seems to be drawing OK, best in the Summit anyway.
    Guess you are one of those guys who still brings your PB&J sandwich for lunch because that is what you had back in 3rd grade, everyone knows meat and cheese is expensive and heaven forbid buying your lunch is just not practical or feasible.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Guess you are one of those guys who still brings your PB&J sandwich for lunch because that is what you had back in 3rd grade, everyone knows meat and cheese is expensive and heaven forbid buying your lunch is just not practical or feasible.
    Actually my lunch is turkey and cheese. I'd love a new stadium. But I'm not going to pay for it. Are you? Can you demonstrate how NDSU can make the financials work, or are you just one of those guys who buys fancy cars and ends up bankrupt because you ignore basic financial principles?

I'm not against a new stadium, but I have yet to see any of the proponents of one show how it would be good for NDSU's bottom line. I don't think that's too much to ask, that is if it's as easy as you make it out to be.