Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Alerus to install new turf

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Alerus to install new turf

The NDSU/Fargodome arrangement isn't exactly straight forward enough to just blast numbers out there. There's sharing revenue going all directions.

The Dome tax expired a while ago, that money has actually been funneled into other places(streets and maybe the library).

The dome does have a substantial fund of money due to excess revenues(includes sales tax) but honestly I think the dome is turning a profit. The building is expertly managed and its events are usually big successes.

As for the turf, lots of high school games are played at the dome as well. For the sake of all amateur athletes that compete on the Dome's surface they should have a top quality surface.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    Actually, if the $100k per year covers every NDSU event (as opposed to just the football program, which is the way I understood it), that doesn't exactly help the argument that NDSU deserves preferential treatment, as it means even less revenue per NDSU event. Not more.
    Without Bison football there would be no Fargodome. For a glimpse at how the debate for construction of such a facility would have gone in its absence, take a look at the last twenty years in Sioux Falls.
    Van Club - Secretary of Agriculture (Barley & hops expert)

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    um, yeah.

Graduation, spring graduation, basketball this year, softball on occasion, there's many other uses that NDSU gets from teh Dome. Operative word being "events".

Next question.
    Exactly...Not just the football team plays games there...Plus, the offices are also in place.

Since my name was invoked, let's clear up a few things.

The Fargodome has had an operational profit every year since it's opened without the sales tax. That includes basic maintenance. There is a large upkeep fund($20MM+) that was created from the sales tax and is used to fund equipment replacement, additions, and other large expenses. The lobby, video boards, additional suites, and upgrades to the concourse have all come from this fund. The lighting and at least part of the turf will come from it as well.

NDSU's impact on the FD's bottom line. At one point, NDSU was paying the FD something like $160k/year for use of the FD. Then came the downpour that flooded the FD and several buildings on campus through steam lines connected to the FD. Then came lawsuits. In exchange for dropping its lawsuit, NDSU got a much better deal(the $100k/year figure). I think that deal has expired, but I don't know what the current figure is(probably closer to $160k than $100k).

Something to think about: While Bison football is profitable for the FD, it is almost certainly the least profitable of the three major profit categories(concerts/conventions/NDSU). Normally it's (1)conventions, (2)concerts, (3)NDSU. This year has been a fantastic year for FD concerts, so that could be #1 for the year. (I find it fairly striking that UND football is likely the biggest profit for the Alerus, but NDSU football is more profitable for the FD. Think of what that means for the concert and convention picture at the Alerus compared to the FD. Our worst is better than their best.)

And the basic lease paid by NDSU is only part of the money the FD makes on Bison football. The FD gets a chunk of the advertising, parking, concessions, and (I think)a small cut of the ticket sales(though I could definitely be wrong on the last bit). Who knows what that all amounts to(other than the FD bean counters), but it's got to be more than a little significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post

The Fargodome has had an operational profit every year since it's opened without the sales tax. That includes basic maintenance. There is a large upkeep fund($20MM+) that was created from the sales tax and is used to fund equipment replacement, additions, and other large expenses. The lobby, video boards, additional suites, and upgrades to the concourse have all come from this fund. The lighting and at least part of the turf will come from it as well.

NDSU's impact on the FD's bottom line. At one point, NDSU was paying the FD something like $160k/year for use of the FD. Then came the downpour that flooded the FD and several buildings on campus through steam lines connected to the FD. Then came lawsuits. In exchange for dropping its lawsuit, NDSU got a much better deal(the $100k/year figure). I think that deal has expired, but I don't know what the current figure is(probably closer to $160k than $100k).

Something to think about: While Bison football is profitable for the FD, it is almost certainly the least profitable of the three major profit categories(concerts/conventions/NDSU). Normally it's (1)conventions, (2)concerts, (3)NDSU. This year has been a fantastic year for FD concerts, so that could be #1 for the year. (I find it fairly striking that UND football is likely the biggest profit for the Alerus, but NDSU football is more profitable for the FD. Think of what that means for the concert and convention picture at the Alerus compared to the FD. Our worst is better than their best.)

And the basic lease paid by NDSU is only part of the money the FD makes on Bison football. The FD gets a chunk of the advertising, parking, concessions, and (I think)a small cut of the ticket sales(though I could definitely be wrong on the last bit). Who knows what that all amounts to(other than the FD bean counters), but it's got to be more than a little significant.
    So what you are saying is the FD could pony up some funds for some new turf and lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    Actually, if the $100k per year covers every NDSU event (as opposed to just the football program, which is the way I understood it), that doesn't exactly help the argument that NDSU deserves preferential treatment, as it means even less revenue per NDSU event. Not more.
    The FD pays NDSU either, $1 per year or a one time payment of $1, (I can't exactly remember) for rent for the land on which it sits. Either way, its a pretty sweet deal for the FD.

This might explain the cheap rent for NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post

Could UND football be the biggest event for the Alerus due to the sale of alcohol? What would FargoDome revenues rise by if they sold beer at NDSU football games?

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder_Struck View Post
    Could UND football be the biggest event for the Alerus due to the sale of alcohol? What would FargoDome revenues rise by if they sold beer at NDSU football games?
    any revenue made by alcohol sales would be offset by the increase in dome nazis on staff because of the alcohol sales.

Quote Originally Posted by coldspot View Post
    any revenue made by alcohol sales would be offset by the increase in dome nazis on staff because of the alcohol sales.
    would it be possible to increase the number of dome nazis? There are less than 1/2 million people in ND you know.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!