Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jr college & FBS transfers

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Jr college & FBS transfers

I'm with Lakes and Burg on this one, I too wish we were on the minds of FBS transfers.

Bryant Allen left for Illinois State. Granted, he is from MO, but if he really wanted to be close to home why not go to SIU instead? My point is that no one needs quality WRs worse than NDSU, he probably had a legit chance here to contribute.

All I am saying is that it would be nice to be in the minds of some of these guys as they look for playing time. Illinois State has three FBS transfers already and since they will be in spring practice, they may have dramatically improved their team.

Bball team could have used him as well he played both for d gophers
    TRUST THE PROCESS

I agree that we lack in getting FBS recruits, I think we have done good though on the JUCO side of things

I think we make up for the lack of FBS transfers when we get FBS talent that have problems with the NCAA "clearing house". There has to be a few guys like Marcus Williams out there every year. If they don't pan out with grades then we lose nothing and gave the kid a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    My point is that no one needs quality WRs worse than NDSU, he probably had a legit chance here to contribute.
    Glaring and concerning weaknesses on this team. Who's developoing these guys? Or should I say trying to and failing miserably? Calhoun-Powell and Wahlo Jr were both supposedly outstanding gets and great talents, at least according to this board anyways, and couldn't even sniff the field in an underachieving and poor WR group.

Someone in the coaching staff is not doing their job at that position, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Glaring and concerning weaknesses on this team. Who's developoing these guys? Or should I say trying to and failing miserably? Calhoun-Powell and Wahlo Jr were both supposedly outstanding gets and great talents, at least according to this board anyways, and couldn't even sniff the field in an underachieving and poor WR group.

Someone in the coaching staff is not doing their job at that position, IMHO.
    so you are complaining that freshman don't play more? Forget your whole great coach vs bad coach......your main point is why didn't we see more of the freshman. Yeah good luck with that argument!

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm with Lakes and Burg on this one, I too wish we were on the minds of FBS transfers.

Bryant Allen left for Illinois State. Granted, he is from MO, but if he really wanted to be close to home why not go to SIU instead? My point is that no one needs quality WRs worse than NDSU, he probably had a legit chance here to contribute.

All I am saying is that it would be nice to be in the minds of some of these guys as they look for playing time. Illinois State has three FBS transfers already and since they will be in spring practice, they may have dramatically improved their team.
    Agree, our main problem is we are no where near a major population center. Illinois St is near Chicago which really helps. Kids when transferring want to be close to home. We would have a chance at Gophers kids who want to transfer if they are from Minnesota.

Our only other chance would be kids with friends on the team. Plus we are trying to clean up our program and we didn't have a lot of luck in doing that with the previous transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Illinois St is near Chicago which really helps. .
    I bet the 130 mile drive from Normal to Chicago takes almost as long as the 220 mile drive from Fargo to Minneapolis.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    Agree, our main problem is we are no where near a major population center. Illinois St is near Chicago which really helps. Kids when transferring want to be close to home. We would have a chance at Gophers kids who want to transfer if they are from Minnesota.

Our only other chance would be kids with friends on the team. Plus we are trying to clean up our program and we didn't have a lot of luck in doing that with the previous transfers.
    You know, you make a good point about Minnesota.

Last year Josh Campion and Nick Rengel tried to hook up with NDSU and for whatever reason, Bohl didn't take them. Academics and a back injury may have shied him away from Campion, but after playing at an academy Campion is listed on this years recruiting class for Kill, so he obviously has talent.

I don't know why the coaches didn't go for Nick. He came to MN to play TE/DE but was moved to FB and ended up #2 on the depth chart after spring practice. NDSU was a bit thin at a couple of those positions this year (Bruhn moved from FB to TE), so I initially thought he would be attractive.

Could it be Bohl is simply not interested in FBS transfers?

Could it be Bohl is simply not interested in FBS transfers?
    I believe this to be true. Just the way he has made some comments at teammakers about other teams that have them and if they will come to play that week or not.

I thought we might start getting a few that didn't play at FBS that we had recruited over the years but they ended up at the at a FBS school. You would think we would have a good relationship with them already. You would think a few here and there would be beneficial to a team and could fill some holes.