Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bisonville

Default Re: Bisonville

Quote Originally Posted by BisoninNWMN View Post
    I disagree.

Nobody is going to win the NC every year but the upper echelon teams in 1AA are there every year to make the playoffs.

The Bison can/should be one of those teams. This is our 3rd year of el to make the playoffs; we need to basically win out to do it this year.

Can it be done?? You bet we can but we need vast improvements esp on the defensive side of the ball. Wow, after Kansas, I thought the D was going to be our strong suit.....ya, injuries happen but others need to step up.
    And your point is? Somehow things have changed?

Hello. We didn't make the playoffs regularly over the last 13 years we competed in DII. What we are seeing isn't new. I'd submit that it hasn't been since the late 60's that we competed against our equals and were successful on a regular basis. And, I was there in the stands at Dakotah Field for every playoff game in the 80's. I missed very few regular season home games. It's been a long wait and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    That pretty much sums it up.

1. We were DOMINANT in the 80's against mostly underfunded DII programs. The NCC had almost no fully funded programs and we got ALL the best athletes.

2. Since 1990, we were a "solid" DII program but not even close to dominant. Our total success was probably third or fourth best in the NCC. Let alone comparing us to all of DII.

3. Now, many people expect us to be DOMINANT in FCS? Really? Where all of the top programs and basically all of the middle of the pack programs are funded at the same level?

4. Who has dominated FCS? Anybody? App State while they had an outstanding QB? Montana with a long string of playoff appearances but
    not a long list of Titles?

I'm not happy about where we are but I'm convinced that the type of "dominance" that some are posting about will NEVER happen.
    Talk about Debbie Downers. NorthernBison, you discredit not only the current NDSU football team, but all of them for the past 30 years! Essentially you are saying NDSU was only good from 1965 to 1990 due to a few more scholies? I highly doubt NDSU had a scholarship advantage that entire time, let alone the difference was that great except against teams like Morningside.
    For the hundredth time, people mistake the frustration here as unreasonable fans who only like the team when they win. Its one thing to lose a game in a close battle due to a lost opportunity or the other team rising to the occasion, but the Bison are losing ugly. Mistakes all over the place, confusion on offense, poor play calling by the coaches, and a defense that has some hang up about being able to stop the opponent on 3rd down!
    I think NDSU fans and Bisonville are much more passionate about football than SDSU. We have thousands more fans show up for tailgating and the game itself. There are dozens and dozens more regular posters on our messageboard. We have Bison Illustrated, and a metro area that loves to go to Bison games. We also had a winning tradition in the past. Teams like SDSU have had mediocrity for a long time and just got a taste of success the past couple years. SDSU used to treat basketball as king and football as a side event.
    The reason for the high levels of frustration is the lack of recent success for the Bison. We expect to win nearly all our home games, we expect to win most rivalry games, we expect to win more than half of our road games and we expect to be in the running for the conference title and post season play. With the past winning tradition, excellent facilities, great university and fan support and outstanding recruits there is disappointment that the slump continues. I am starting to conclude that the biggest reason for the losses is that coaching is lacking and one or two of them need to be fired.
    For those of you that accept mediocrity go ahead and change your allegiance to SDSU. NDSU fans expect a lot more. If you don't have higher expectations you will never succeed. If anything the head coach at NDSU needs to understand that Teammakers will not continue to tolerate season records that hang around .500. Maybe at SDSU that is OK, because they like to hunt and fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    Completely agree. But it's also been the norm around here for far too long. Maybe I'm used to it because this loss didn't sting as bad as the other ones. I think on some subconscious level I expected it.
    This is what I am worried about. Bison fans becoming complacent and expecting to lose, or not caring if they lose. Starting to sound like Bunnyville around here........

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    Talk about Debbie Downers. NorthernBison, you discredit not only the current NDSU football team, but all of them for the past 30 years! Essentially you are saying NDSU was only good from 1965 to 1990 due to a few more scholies? I highly doubt NDSU had a scholarship advantage that entire time, let alone the difference was that great except against teams like Morningside.
    For the hundredth time, people mistake the frustration here as unreasonable fans who only like the team when they win. Its one thing to lose a game in a close battle due to a lost opportunity or the other team rising to the occasion, but the Bison are losing ugly. Mistakes all over the place, confusion on offense, poor play calling by the coaches, and a defense that has some hang up about being able to stop the opponent on 3rd down!
    I think NDSU fans and Bisonville are much more passionate about football than SDSU. We have thousands more fans show up for tailgating and the game itself. There are dozens and dozens more regular posters on our messageboard. We have Bison Illustrated, and a metro area that loves to go to Bison games. We also had a winning tradition in the past. Teams like SDSU have had mediocrity for a long time and just got a taste of success the past couple years. SDSU used to treat basketball as king and football as a side event.
    The reason for the high levels of frustration is the lack of recent success for the Bison. We expect to win nearly all our home games, we expect to win most rivalry games, we expect to win more than half of our road games and we expect to be in the running for the conference title and post season play. With the past winning tradition, excellent facilities, great university and fan support and outstanding recruits there is disappointment that the slump continues. I am starting to conclude that the biggest reason for the losses is that coaching is lacking and one or two of them need to be fired.
    For those of you that accept mediocrity go ahead and change your allegiance to SDSU. NDSU fans expect a lot more. If you don't have higher expectations you will never succeed. If anything the head coach at NDSU needs to understand that Teammakers will not continue to tolerate season records that hang around .500. Maybe at SDSU that is OK, because they like to hunt and fish.
    Is that serious coming from you?

If we go 7-4 I'll be ecstatic but all I want to see is improvement. I'm tired of watching this skitzo team, I want to see some consistent play. Phil Hanson was saying our defense was playing as a bunch of individuals and not a team before the game yesterday and he was right on the money.

I also want to see the dome become our place of dominance again. We haven't won an MVFC game at home since Indiana State 11/1/2008. Yeah it has been almost two years, no wonder we are all so frustrated.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

No SD,
    I'm not discounting the success of the late 60's and the 80's. FYI, the 70's weren't exactly dominating throughout.

I loved the 80's. The Bison were the best out there. But yes, the majority of the regular season games were against underfunded programs. The Bison delivered when the post-season came around. If you want a current comparison, look at Montana. Cakewalk regular season and a playoff appearance every year.

Look what happened when they reduced scholarships at the end of the 80's. Everybody got real equal real fast. Hell, we didn't make regular playoff appearances after 1990. We never saw another Title game. Northern Colorado won multiple titles. Even UND won a title and played in another title game. Grand Valley state was dominant (even when we were in DII).

I'm not content with 6-5 seasons. I think we should regularly be 7-4 or better (assuming an FBS loss most years). I just get sick of everybody who flips out every time the team loses a game to programs who have just as many scholarships as us. ISU Red had some great athletes yesterday. That many kids who played at FBS schools indicates they have talent.

Is it coaching? I don't know. Blame Vigen if you want but I doubt that he ever told our 170 pound QB to pretend he was a fullback.

You know what my REAL post-season expectations are? If we make it 5 years out of 10 I would be pleasantly surprised. 3 or 4 might be realistic based on the conference we play in and the landscape of FCS football. Thats it.

ok 1999 we went 9-2 and spent the entire year in the top 20

2000- 10-1 regular season 12-2 overall beat the #1 team inthe nation in opening round of playoffs and more than likely would have won a NC if certain players hadn't been idiots before the Semi-final game. How many remember that.

These dominant season were against FULLY FUNDED programs. I'm not saying we need to win a NC every year but I AM tired of getting beat because our mental and coaching mistakes. I have no problem if we lose a game that we played our best and just flat out get beat, but when we piss games down our legs like yesterday it just pisses me off.

Oh and SDSU dude if you don't like it don't read it. Its a simple solution
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

UNI has probably been the most dominant team in the MVFC, and don't they make it 50% of the time. Not saying we should accept 50%, but for now it is a goal to shoot for.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    No SD,
    I'm not discounting the success of the late 60's and the 80's. FYI, the 70's weren't exactly dominating throughout.

I loved the 80's. The Bison were the best out there. But yes, the majority of the regular season games were against underfunded programs. The Bison delivered when the post-season came around. If you want a current comparison, look at Montana. Cakewalk regular season and a playoff appearance every year.

Look what happened when they reduced scholarships at the end of the 80's. Everybody got real equal real fast. Hell, we didn't make regular playoff appearances after 1990. We never saw another Title game. Northern Colorado won multiple titles. Even UND won a title and played in another title game. Grand Valley state was dominant (even when we were in DII).

I'm not content with 6-5 seasons. I think we should regularly be 7-4 or better (assuming an FBS loss most years). I just get sick of everybody who flips out every time the team loses a game to programs who have just as many scholarships as us. ISU Red had some great athletes yesterday. That many kids who played at FBS schools indicates they have talent.

Is it coaching? I don't know. Blame Vigen if you want but I doubt that he ever told our 170 pound QB to pretend he was a fullback.

You know what my REAL post-season expectations are? If we make it 5 years out of 10 I would be pleasantly surprised. 3 or 4 might be realistic based on the conference we play in and the landscape of FCS football. Thats it.
    That's a really good point. I heard 3 transfers from big schools. Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Minnesota...I think.

I'm not saying that's the reason for the loss, but how does ISU get three transfers and we have none?
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    ok 1999 we went 9-2 and spent the entire year in the top 20

2000- 10-1 regular season 12-2 overall beat the #1 team inthe nation in opening round of playoffs and more than likely would have won a NC if certain players hadn't been idiots before the Semi-final game. How many remember that.

These dominant season were against FULLY FUNDED programs. I'm not saying we need to win a NC every year but I AM tired of getting beat because our mental and coaching mistakes. I have no problem if we lose a game that we played our best and just flat out get beat, but when we piss games down our legs like yesterday it just pisses me off.

Oh and SDSU dude if you don't like it don't read it. Its a simple solution
    Hell yes I remember. That was the year we got screwed out of a home playoff game and had to play in the kitty litter bowl and lost to the eventual Champ.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif