Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: How bout those Twins?? ammmi right?

mango is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: How bout those Twins?? ammmi right?

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    Wow.........

Bi-lateral leg weakness....What the F is that?
    Sounds like he has some sand in his vag

coldspot is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Wow.........

Bi-lateral leg weakness....What the F is that?
    I believe its a fatigue related condition caused by nerve damage. since its bilateral (both legs) it's probably spine related. don't quote me on any of that, I didn't pay much attention to that in anatomy class

Quote Originally Posted by coldspot View Post
    I believe its a fatigue related condition caused by nerve damage. since its bilateral (both legs) it's probably spine related. don't quote me on any of that, I didn't pay much attention to that in anatomy class
    Yeah, I don't know what the deal is anymore...it's too bad he got hurt in like his third MLB game ever...He hasn't been the same since.

Still is a great player though. His career could be a lot like Mickey Mantle or Tony Olivia...Great players that could have been ever greater without injuries to their legs.

Sorry, but its not enough...You don't think its fair to expect more from a guy who makes the fifth most money in all of baseball?

Are you related to him or something? I guess I don't get why you are satisfied with him being just above-average.

Like I said, I love Joe Mauer and am glad he is a Twin..However, I expect him to play the game at a higher level.
    The only guy in the league making more than him is A-Rod so maybe you need to adjust your expectations up if money is going to be the metric. They're paying him a ton of money and the fact is he may not earn it all with his play going forward, but most of those guys never do. I can't imagine what the reaction would have been if they'd have let him go to New York or Boston instead of resigning him.

I know some people get worked up about the money, but through the 2010 season he's earned $133 million with his play and been paid $34 million.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...857&position=C

I'm not related to him. Not that that matters. I'm just sick of people who think that they know something about baseball and say they're Twins fans shitting all over their best player.

He's not merely 'above-average.' He's great. In 2008 and 2009 he was the best position player in the American League. I'll repeat it again. No Cather has ever won more than one batting title. Joe has 3 at the age of 27. In 2009 he led the AL in batting, slugging, and on base percentage. The last person to do that was Yaz, 40 years ago. The only others to do it: Frank Robinson, Ted Williams, Jimmie Fox, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, George Stone, and Nap Lajoie. None of them were catchers. All but Cobb and Williams were older than Mauer. All of them but Stone are in the hall.

In the last decade, Mauer has the 3 best statistical seasons for a catcher. In 2006 he exceeded the performance of the 2nd best catcher by 52% (Posada), in 2009 93% (VMart), in 2008 112% (Soto).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/6302

He's been great.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 10-30-2015 at 03:58 PM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

mauer has fizzled since his season of 28 homeruns.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    The only guy in the league making more than him is A-Rod so maybe you need to adjust your expectations up if money is going to be the metric. They're paying him a ton of money and the fact is he may not earn it all with his play going forward, but most of those guys never do. I can't imagine what the reaction would have been if they'd have let him go to New York and Boston instead of resigning him.

I know some people get worked up about the money, but through the 2010 seasons he's earned $133 million with his play and been paid $34 million.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...857&position=C

I'm not related to him. Not that that matters. I'm just sick of people who think that they know something about baseball say they're Twins fans shitting all over their best player.

He's not merely 'above-average.' He's great. In 2008 and 2009 he was the best position player in the American League. I'll repeat it again. No Cather has ever won more than one batting title. Joe has 3 at the age of 27. In 2009 he led the AL in batting, slugging, and on base percentage. The last person to do that was Yaz, 40 years ago. The only others to do it: Frank Robinson, Ted Williams, Jimmie Fox, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, George Stone, and Nap Lajoie. None of them were catchers. All but Cobb and Williams were older than Mauer. All of them but Stone are in the hall.

In the last decade, Mauer has the 3 best statistical seasons for a catcher. In 2006 he exceeded the performance of the 2nd best catcher by 52% (Posada), in 2009 93% (VMart), in 2008 112% (Soto).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/6302

He's been great.
    Trust me, I know plenty about baseball...

I've been a huge Twins fan for 25 years and have attended over 200 games, all while living in ND and western Minnesota. Who are you to claim I am not a fan? You don't even know me.

Just because he is from Minnesota and has had some great years doesn't mean he has to be treated with kid gloves. He is not immune to criticism.

BTW - Mauer is #5, not #2.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../player/top-25

Of course he's not immune from criticism. Neither are you. Neither am I.

I just don't think he deserves much of the criticism that he recieves.

I don't care where he was born. Did I ever mention that once?

I think he's a great player and has a chance to be a historically great player and I just get tired of people who appear not a appreciate what they have.

It's baseball. It's 162 games. We're two weeks in and he's not played up to his own high standard to this point. But we're two weeks into a six month season, given what he's done over the last 5 years, lets not get hysterical about the last 2 weeks.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    I think they need to immediately consider Mauer for 3rd base, left or right field. He is a great defensive catcher, but if the catching is so hard on his knee that it takes him out of the lineup once or twice a week, then it is time for a change. Gardy wants him to catch, Mauer wants to catch, the pitchers probably all want him to catch, but I think the organization as a whole and the fan base demand that Mauer be an everyday player. If he has bad knee, he is not ever going to drive through the ball the way we have seen in the past. The opposite field power will never return.

He could take over 3rd with the way Valencia's offense is lately, but that takes out a right handed bat from the lineup. He could play left field and force Young and Kubel to platoon in right field. It takes time to learn these new positions, but I think a move is needed.
    They don't have another viable option at catcher, and a lot of his value is caught up in the fact that he is a catcher, because almost no one is capable of playing that position defensively, let alone at the level he does, while providing the offense that he can. The knee is a concern long-term but I don't see any evidence that its a career shortening skill imparing injury like Tony O back in the day. Abscent some additional evidence it's way way to early to move him out from behind that plate.
    I am not sure how much evidence you need to make the move from catching.

I stand by my earlier comment, even more so now that he is on the 15 day DL. I don't care that he is getting paid huge money, and whether he is earning it or not. I care about putting the Twins in the best position to win a championship

I want Joe's bat in the lineup as much possible more than I want Joe sitting behind the dish calling games. I'll take a healthy Mauer playing 3rd / OF with his bat in the line-up for 140-150 games per year, versus the not-getting any younger, bad legs Mauer insisting on being a catcher for 119.5 games per year (his average # of games per year from 2004-2010).

The Twins have played 12 games, with Joe missing 3 of them. Now he is on the 15 day DL retroactive to April 13, so he could miss 12 more games until he is off the DL. This could turn into a disaster season for Joe if he keeps on catching -- he is not doing his legs any favors by squatting up and down 150 time per game.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

I think he's a great player and has a chance to be a historically great player and I just get tired of people who appear not a appreciate what they have.
    I definetly appreciate what we have with Mauer. He could be one of the greatest hitters ever, but I don't think it will happen if he keeps on catching. Hence, my advocacy for him being in a different position. How many catchers stay productive at the plate past the age of 30?
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Of course he's not immune from criticism. Neither are you. Neither am I.

I just don't think he deserves much of the criticism that he recieves.

I don't care where he was born. Did I ever mention that once?

It's baseball. It's 162 games. We're two weeks in and he's not played up to his own high standard to this point. But we're two weeks into a six month season, given what he's done over the last 5 years, lets not get hysterical about the last 2 weeks.
    Fair enough...

I was never putting words in your mouth btw...I was just pointing out that a lot of people feel that because he is homegrown, he can't be criticized.

I'll say it one more time, I love Joe Mauer....I'm happy the Twins have him...However, something is not right. Maybe this new diagnosis explains it. I did some research on bi-lateral leg weakness and it could be nothing or it could be something really serious...I hope he comes back and starts ripping liners over the shortstops head.