Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you stop the athletic dual threat QB?

Default How do you stop the athletic dual threat QB?

What do you guys think? Go nickel to get more speed on the field?

Default Re: How do you stop the athletic dual threat QB?

Our OLB are pretty fast, especially Jemison. I think you can't afford to blitz

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Contain. Our ends need to be disciplined and our DT's need to get pressure up the middle. If we can keep him into the pocket and then collapse it we'll be in great shape. He's too small of a QB to make a lot of plays if he gets stuck behind his o-line. If he can get around the end that's where he can make us look stupid. We could fall back to putting a spy on him but I've never been a huge fan of dedicating 1 guy to spy on another. And tackle on the first attempt. We can't give up extra yards because of missed tackles.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Discipline with containment and players taking care of their area of the field. They can usually change direction on a dime and you need them turning back into someone. Linebacker play has to be outstanding. You need to bring some pressure from different areas and put the players in position to slow him down enough for the cavalry to get their and help finish him off.

Just my uneducated .02 worth.

We shut down the UNI QB in the 2nd half so we can figure it out.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

In my opinion you install a couple different conservative zone coverage defenses that have completely different looks to the QB. Within that zone coverage scheme you assign a linebacker/strong safety as a spy that is very athletic. Ideally, if you have two/three linebackers/strong safety's that are athletic you have them rotate so the offensive/QB doesn't know who is providing this spy coverage.

Anybody know if he has a 3/5/7 step drop typically? If it is 7, I blitz my spy more, if it is 3/5, I have him agressively pursue.

Also, if the QB is really important to the team as the SD QB seems to be. I put a target on him...... A personal foul may mean 15 yards, but a QB that can't be on the field hurts more. That is the risk of having a duel threat QB.

Just my 2 cents.

Spy the QB - Guard him one on one like a basketball player with Evans, making sure that when he has the ball, he is in pursuit.

Cobra Kai.

Sweep the Leg. NO MERCY.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I wouldn't hit the guy late, outside the rule, and get a player suspended (ala MT St). If that's what you are suggesting by taking a 15 yard penalty, I disagree.

I would try to get pressure on the QB with my front 4 or 5, pressing my pass defense to the line of scrimmage, especially early on, also mixing in some controlled blitzes. I'd also try to snuff out the run, and make them more 1 dimensional, that would play into our defenses hands.

When you do get to the QB, or when he runs (he will be running), I'd hit him hard. Within the rules.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Otter, "Animal House", 1978 - "Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

THAT'S how you do it.