Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airline ticket pricing

Default Re: Airline ticket pricing

A coworker has similar issues flying out of Grand Rapids, MI to MSP. If he needs to see a customer in Mankato, its much cheaper for him to fly to Rochester, MN through MSP rather than nonstop to MSP.

I think it may be due to the federal subsidy for smaller airports...Essential Air Service or something like that.

It has nothing to do with Essential Air Service.

Rochester is not eligible for the program because it is too close to a hub.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    It has nothing to do with Essential Air Service.

Rochester is not eligible for the program because it is too close to a hub.
    Houston is definitely not eligible.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that it probably has to do with a couple things. The big one is that you're paying a premium for the convenience of flying direct. The other has to do with the way they allocate their costs over the passengers on each flight.

Since the trend is for direct flights to be more expensive, they probably allocate the majority of the costs related to each route to the passengers who are traveling on only that route first, and then the remaining costs are split between passengers traveling over multiple routes.

That gives the passenger a discount for dealing with the hassle of connecting flights, and helps them get more butts in the seats of more flights. Of course that assumes they measure their costs on a per passenger basis, and I have no idea if that is the case or not.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

From the demand side the airline likely has little worry about filling their legs into Chicago two months in advance. Peoria is probably a different story.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I thought they just had a dice cup. What they roll is what you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    I thought they just had a dice cup. What they roll is what you pay.
    Way, waaaaaaaay to logical.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by IL_Bison View Post
    A coworker has similar issues flying out of Grand Rapids, MI to MSP. If he needs to see a customer in Mankato, its much cheaper for him to fly to Rochester, MN through MSP rather than nonstop to MSP.

I think it may be due to the federal subsidy for smaller airports...Essential Air Service or something like that.
    I remember how happy I was the one time my flight from x* to MSP to FAR was cheaper than the flight from x to MSP would have been. Of course, now I feel a little letdown because it has never happened since.

* Not sure what x was - probably NYC but it might have been coming from overseas.

I've always been confused on the regional airport cost issue.

This one time (not at band camp, but about 10 years ago) trying to get from Fargo to D.C.

- Fargo to DC through Mpls: $1300
    - Drive to Mpls, get on the same flight Mpls to DC: $900
    - Drive to Watertown, connect in Mpls (same flight) to DC: $500

Huh? Needless to say, had a nice drive to Watertown

Civil06 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I remember how happy I was the one time my flight from x* to MSP to FAR was cheaper than the flight from x to MSP would have been. Of course, now I feel a little letdown because it has never happened since.

* Not sure what x was - probably NYC but it might have been coming from overseas.
    We booked an overseas trip for this December/January and it was several hundred dollars cheaper to fly out of FAR than MSP. Win-win for me and it saves us a lot of headaches (Although with the extra flight each way and layovers the total travel time will be > 35 hours).
    "Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentleman's game played by beasts; football is a beastly game played by beasts."
    - Henry Blaha