Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airline ticket pricing

Default Airline ticket pricing

One thing that is really confusing is how airlines price their flights!

I have been checking prices for a couple of months now for my football trips this fall. The Illinois State game in Normal is the ticket that I bought yesterday. Originally I had wanted to fly directly from Fargo to Chicago and drive the 2 hours to get to Normal. Both American and United had the exact same round trip fare of $503.00 for that plan, and the prices have remained pretty constant over the past couple of months. Then yesterday I looked at flying into Peoria, IL with a plane change in Chicago. (Peoria is about 30 miles west of Normal) The price on United was $314.80!

What is wierd is that I will be flying the same flights between Fargo and Chicago that the $503 fare was quoted for. So United will be flying me on two additional flights and getting me about 100 miles closer to my destination at the same time they will be saving me $188!

If anyone else is thinking about going on this trip, there were many empty seats on all four of the flights.

533 In a row

Default Re: Airline ticket pricing

Im thinking of going by Amtrack?
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    One thing that is really confusing is how airlines price their flights!

I have been checking prices for a couple of months now for my football trips this fall. The Illinois State game in Normal is the ticket that I bought yesterday. Originally I had wanted to fly directly from Fargo to Chicago and drive the 2 hours to get to Normal. Both American and United had the exact same round trip fare of $503.00 for that plan, and the prices have remained pretty constant over the past couple of months. Then yesterday I looked at flying into Peoria, IL with a plane change in Chicago. (Peoria is about 30 miles west of Normal) The price on United was $314.80!

What is wierd is that I will be flying the same flights between Fargo and Chicago that the $503 fare was quoted for. So United will be flying me on two additional flights and getting me about 100 miles closer to my destination at the same time they will be saving me $188!

If anyone else is thinking about going on this trip, there were many empty seats on all four of the flights.
    Good research Roadwarrior, in fact we had almost this same discussion over a campfire this weekend, and the prices quoted are accurate. Why can I fly here, for so much less than there.? There is absolutely no explaination for it.

Amtrak is one of his solutions for a game this year.

In the old days you could just jump off at the midpoint, and then catch it again on the return, but its call downling now and they cancel the flights.

BisonBabe is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I plan a lot of flights for the president of my company. I find that if you check out the airlines websites as well as checking out Orbitz, Travelocity etc you can find some great deals. Often you can get a better rate if you have at least 2 days between arrival and departure. It takes some juggling sometimes

Glad you found a good deal it sure helps to save a little.

Well-behaved women seldom make history. ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I have the same problem, especially fling into Chicago. it's absolutely ridiculous. I am going to chicago in mid september for a conference. price quoted all airlines was 850 clams. added a trip to houston ( now fargo-chicago-houston-fargo) and the price dropped to less than 500. no logic whatsoever...
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBabe View Post
    I plan a lot of flights for the president of my company. I find that if you check out the airlines websites as well as checking out Orbitz, Travelocity etc you can find some great deals. Often you can get a better rate if you have at least 2 days between arrival and departure. It takes some juggling sometimes

Glad you found a good deal it sure helps to save a little.
    Weekend stays help a lot as well, plus adjusting the time you leave can have a huge effect on price. The later you can book, the better deal you can usually find too. I like using price monitors and stuff to know when the best deals are available.

FWIW, try out www.kayak.com as it compares most major sites.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

chuckles is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It certainly is a 'game' to find out when the best time to book is. Check out http://www.farecompare.com/ They have some good tips on strategies to use and when the best times to buy (3:30 Tuesday) are. Sites like Orbitz and Expedia don't pull flights from discount airlines (Southwest/AirTran) so if they fly your route it's worth checking out their site directly.

I personally use Kayak's fare alert system. I get a weekly email of my trips that I have set up and the current fare. There are some weeks a fare will drop a mere $7 and the next week it drops $200. I generally try to avoid Chicago's O'Hare. The majority of my flights through there were always delayed and connections would be missed/canceled. Road, that $314 fare is about as cheap as you will find flying round-trip to two smaller airports. I have flown to PIA and BMI multiple times and paid right around a $315 fare from Fargo (on Delta). I haven't seen it dip any lower either. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    I have the same problem, especially fling into Chicago. it's absolutely ridiculous. I am going to chicago in mid september for a conference. price quoted all airlines was 850 clams. added a trip to houston ( now fargo-chicago-houston-fargo) and the price dropped to less than 500. no logic whatsoever...
    supply and demand?

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    supply and demand?
    Makes sense. It's often cheaper for me to connect in SLC when I'm flying from DEN to FAR now that Frontier is out of the picture. Of course, United was never cheap to begin with. But... If my wife and I are coming back to the area, we fly Southwest to MSP for $400 and borrow mama and pappas car before paying $700 to fly directly to Fargo... Which sucks because I used to be able to do 2 people round trip from DEN to FAR for $500. Yes, that extra $200 is a BigDeal.
    On you Bison! Fight you Bison! Stampede and win this game!

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    supply and demand?
    Well, the addition of a second airline based out of O'Hare has resulted in almost double the capacity, in addition to Delta merging with Northwest and flying to both O'Hare and Midway. So supply would seem to be very high - or at least higher than it has been.

As for demand, I can tell you that none of the flights had more than one or two people on them when I looked.

Also, flying out of MSP would cost a grand total of $197 including taxes.

My Econ 101 would suggest that prices shouldn't drop by adding in 2000 more flight miles for the Houston leg, or simply that the usual rules of supply / demand don't apply... Truth is Fargo is one of the most expensive airports to fly out of. Hopefully sometime soon we can land a couple Southwest flights... perhaps to Midway or even to Nashville. This would drop fares across the board.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.