Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USD and UND getting official visits from the Valley?

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default USD and UND getting official visits from the Valley?

From a poster on shockernet...Everyone knows how message boards work so take it for its worth.

http://shockernet.net/sn/viewtopic.php?t=17330

I have become privvy to some information in the past 24 hours, of which I cannot help but share for the good of the cause.

Published reports in the next couple of days will present the following quandry to Shocker fans, surrounding of all things, football.

The Valley recently completed its annual media days, highlighted by some words from Football Commish/Asst Commish Overall Patty Viverito.

In short, the Valley is now a nine-team 1AA/FCS football conference (Ill State, Ind State, Missou State, N. Iowa, N.Dak. State, S.Dak. State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois & Youngstown State).

Many of us remember the Michigan/App. State game from a few years ago -- App State is a member of the CAA, which recently moved to a 12-team football league. Since moving to a 12-team league, the conference's prestige has increased significantly, cited by increased playoff berths in FCS football play.

Valley Commish Viverito remarked (in simplified words here) that she would like to see the Valley move to a similar format to keep pace - specifically in football - during the recent media days. The Valley is conducting campus visits at Univ. of N. Dakota and Univ. of S. Dakota later this year, and unless something out of the ordinary comes up, those two institutions will become members of the league in football.
    Where we come in:

To make the numbers work, as per Commish Viverito's wishes, and give the Valley a 12th team, there are few options on the table.

Published reports will begin to speculate that Wichita State may be this 12th team. Other possibilities include Nebraska-Omaha (still competing at Division-II), other Valley non-football institutions (Drake, Bradley, etc.) or a darkhorse (dependent on what schools in the Big Sky choose to do, pending Montana's latest look at moving to I-A/FBS).

I will post links to such reports/speculation as they come available, some of which I expect to see in the next 24-48 hours.

Questions to Shocker Fans:

This obviously opens a whole can of worms. Would Wichita support I-AA football? Is the University even going to seriously pursue this? Has anyone heard similar rumblings on this idea/proposal?

And, in the conspiracy theorist in me, is this something that has been discussed at the "top" and has perhaps led to the recent turnover in our athletic department -- people leaving b/c they don't want to go down this road or compete with a new top-tier, costly program at the school?

I will hang up and listen to your answer(s) off the air....

Default Re: USD and UND getting official visits from the Valley?

My opinion is that poster is reading what he wishes to hear into TV's articles. His handle is sdshox. While the sd could stand for San Diego, the fact that he later links TV's articles from the Argus Leader pretty much confirms he's from South Dakota.

Here's what I think happened in his head:

- Patty V's neutral comments about the CAA changing the FCS landscape, became the MFVC definitely going to 12 teams.

- Douple saying the Summit study will be completed within a year, became UND/USD getting site visits by the end of the year.

This guy sounds like the WSU version of star2city. He takes a few ambiguous facts and uses them to prop up the idea he wants to happen. Maybe I'm doing the same thing, but I really think his "privy information" is just the blog/tweets from TV a day or so before his article went to press.

This will not happen
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    My opinion is that poster is reading what he wishes to hear into TV's articles. His handle is sdshox. While the sd could stand for San Diego, the fact that he later links TV's articles from the Argus Leader pretty much confirms he's from South Dakota.

- Patty V's neutral comments about the CAA changing the FCS landscape, became the MFVC definitely going to 12 teams.

- Douple saying the Summit study will be completed within a year, became UND/USD getting site visits by the end of the year.

This guy sounds like the WSU version of star2city. He takes a few ambiguous facts and uses them to prop up the idea he wants to happen. Maybe I'm doing the same thing, but I really think his "privy information" is just the blog/tweets from TV a day or so before his article went to press.

Not nearly enough vitriol towards a rival school to draw a parallel to star.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post

TV's blog today contained some of what this guy is saying, however, TV prefaced all of it by saying that it was all just pure speculation on his part. He never did mention site visits for UND or udot either. That's way out of left field.

As for star2city, I just visited siouxsports for the first time and can only say "wow".

EDIT: Furthermore, that dude said App. State was in the CAA. Clearly he is well versed in FCS football. Not saying everyone should know who is in every conference but come on.

Not gonna happen.

[/thread]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

I finally figured out what happened. UND is getting a site visit before the end of the year, but it's not from the MVFC. Somehow, the WSU poster confused the Summit site visit that was announced a couple months ago with the Summit football exploration. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we and SDSU never had Gateway site visits. The only people the MVFC will really need to talk to will be the UxD presidents, athletic directors, and maybe the football coaches. Easier to bring them to the presidents' meeting than the other way around.

I feel better now; that was really bugging me.