Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargo in the next 10 years??

Default Re: Fargo in the next 10 years??

[QUOTE=Tatanka;376928]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Basically you take Broadway shut it down to traffic. Cobblestone the whole thing and basically make a urban park out of it. During the day you have all the businesses and business traffic with easy access by walking where ever to restaurants and other shops and in the evenings the bars that are there and pop up once its built turns it into a hot spot at night. QUOTE]

They've already tried that once in the last 10 years and it was an epic fail.
    If they are going to do stuff half ass down town they are going to get half ass results. You can put lip stick on a pig but it is still a pig. Now if you change the atmosphere around the pig then it becomes a whole other animal. The street fair proves that if you give people some good entertainment and something to do they will show up to downtown Fargo (alot of times in 95+ heat). It would take some time but they could turn downtown into a place more people want to go.

If you are ever down towards the Quad cities swing by and check out "The District" it is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post

Also, parking garages are just ugly.
    They're a hell of a lot prettier than parking lots.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Ride the bus!
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Diversification is the key to Fargo's future growth. Right now, I see the community as becoming very top heavy in service industry and amenities. Heck, most of the comments so far have dealt with stuff that has nothing to do with generating new dollars for the community. Just making it nicer for the residents. That is nice but not the prescription for future growth.

Areas that pose strong potential are:
    1. Medical - well on the way with talk of new Sanford hospital with plenty of room to piggyback other growth alongside it.
    2. Agriculture - ACSC is a driver in the Valley. Way bigger than most realize. There is room for more Ag Processing and distribution.
    3. NDSU - The State SHOULD be putting more dollars into the University at the expense of some other small dying schools around the State. The potential for growth is huge.
    4. Light manufacturing - Wind towers, CNH Plant, etc already exist. What else is possible?

Danger signs I see in Fargo include the inability to create development without large taxpayer input. Two recent examples are UP which had to be given to the Park District to keep it alive and Trollwood which is a direct obligation of the Fargo School District. Both are medium size developments that private investors could not handle. That's a bit scary.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    They're a hell of a lot prettier than parking lots.
    True but not a very inspiring reason to include on a list of things one wants to see.

One doesn't want to eat haggis simply because it tastes better than lutefisk.
    Last edited by bisonaudit; 01-25-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    True but not a very inspiring reason to include on a list of things one wants to see.

One doesn't want to eat haggis simply because it tastes better than lutefisk.
    Parking ramps don't look too bad when the first story is used for businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    The problem with an interstate spur into downtown would be, where would you put it??

I would like to see a railroad overpass built through the centre of the city, so that drivers can just go under the 20+ trains daily that come in from China and the east coast.
    That's just it. There's no place to put an interstate spur. Not without making it an elevated highway that followed the river. It would be ugly and out of place and mega expensive, therefore it will never get done.

As far as the railroad thing, They should just build a railroad bypass that goes around Fargo. How many trains really need to go through downtown Fargo? Case needs a train, Mid-American Steel, O'day, Amtrak. That's all I can think of. Otherwise they should have a bypass starting at that fuel depot in Dilworth. Have tracks go either north or south around Fargo/Moorhead. Does every single train need to go through downtown? Probably not.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    I may have mentioned this before

Water: I think the big one for Fargo is water. The area needs flood protection via a diversion and a water supply system that can survive an extended period of drought.
    Hold your calls. We have a winner.

And any drought solution will positively impact all of the RRV.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Not sure what all the problem is with parking downtown. I drove the length of Broadway downtown shortly after noon today, and there were at least 30 open parking spots on Broadway itself.

I saw at least 12 spots open all day long on 3rd avenue just off of Broadway today.

It's amazing that someone will complain if they can't find a parking spot 30 feet from the door of a restaurantor business downtown, but will glady park 200 feet from the entrance of West Acres and be happy about it.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    That's just it. There's no place to put an interstate spur. Not without making it an elevated highway that followed the river. It would be ugly and out of place and mega expensive, therefore it will never get done.
    Which brings me to: WTF was this area thinking by placing the interstate south and west of downtown when they were coming through?? UGH!

On another note, you could maybe follow that drainage ditch by 12th ave or whatever. I remember someone on like city-data or skyscraper forums that diagrammed one going and connecting with 10th and uni directly( I think), much like 94 and 394 in Minne.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.