Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargo in the next 10 years??

Default Fargo in the next 10 years??

I was thinking about this: What kind of big construction project would you like to see happen in Fargo-Moorhead in the next 10 years?? Assuming the economy gets better, F-M could really start to take off, and it would be nice to see stuff being built that reflects that. Let's limit this to not being about NDSU/FBS. Maybe something like a huge new waterpark, or a BRT line, for example.

I personally would like to see another high rise building built downtown. And don't give me the soft soil excuse. It can be done downtown with enough money and investor's willingness to do it. It would just cost more money. I would like to personally see 5-6 stories of retail/residential on the corner of Broadway where the old US Bank Plaza is, and then build maybe a 12 story condo tower on top of that 5-6 floors of mixed-use. I would also like to see a new multiplex theatre downtown, like a 12-screen cinema. Also a couple new parking ramps downtown to take care of anyone complaining about parking. I'd also like to see either a southward extension of West Acres on the east side of the mall, or just build a second large mall (maybe 120 stores, 1 million sq. ft.) in the metro either in Moorhead ("East Acres") or somewhere in far south Fargo ("South Acres"??)

I would also like to see Urban Plains get completely built-in, with Brandt Crossing to the south built up as well. I see a place like the Fountains at Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove, MN and think that it would be a good model for something like Brandt Crossing, or the new Mercantile. I hope with 45th Street completed south of I-94 all the way past 52nd, that far-south 45th St. will boom like crazy. Again, it also depends on how well the economy does. With a good economy, I think the F-M metro has the potential to go from ~205,000 in 2010 to 300,000 people in 2020.

Your wishes for the next 10 years??
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Default Re: Fargo in the next 10 years??

some what more of a skyline.

the 3 buildings now just aint cutting it.

oh, and a whataburger

Outback Steakhouse.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Outback Steakhouse.
    YES. Replace the one we used to have, but closed in 2007.
    - Lou Holtz

High speed access to downtown Fargo. Going 30 mph on Main ave and hitting every fricking stop light sucks ass. Maybe a northern loop I-94 by-pass. It won't ever happen but it would also be nice to have an interstate by-pass that leads downtown. Sioux Falls has 229 that has exits going right into downtown.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    High speed access to downtown Fargo. Going 30 mph on Main ave and hitting every fricking stop light sucks ass. Maybe a northern loop I-94 by-pass. It won't ever happen but it would also be nice to have an interstate by-pass that leads downtown. Sioux Falls has 229 that has exits going right into downtown.
    SF's 229 doesn't go by their downtown. It just loops around part of the city.

I once attended an FM MetroCOG meeting where they were discussing a potential future "Interstate 429" looping around the whole city.
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    SF's 229 doesn't go by their downtown. It just loops around part of the city.

I once attended an FM MetroCOG meeting where they were discussing a potential future "Interstate 429" looping around the whole city.
    So not right through the downtown but right to the western edge of downtown. It makes it very handy getting downtown from the south part of town. I know because I lived south of the empire and took it to work (10th st exit I think). Other wise you have to take 12th or 6th which both sucked major ass at the time.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

i agree with longhorn. a nice unique, mini skyline. kinda similar to a cedar rapids or lincoln, neb
    Last edited by ndsubison1; 06-28-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post

Bisonator,

He meant that 229 has exits going from interstate to downtown.

Continue on.

I will preface this with I go downtown now very little. One reason is I hate parking. So Parking would have to be expanded on the blocks off Broadway and at the ends of the well I will call it the "Fargo District".

I would like to see our downtown turned into what they did in Rock Island Illinois. The area is called "the District" and it is about 4 blocks long. Basically you take Broadway shut it down to traffic. Cobblestone the whole thing and basically make a urban park out of it. During the day you have all the businesses and business traffic with easy access by walking where ever to restaurants and other shops and in the evenings the bars that are there and pop up once its built turns it into a hot spot at night. Down in Rock Island they have something most weekends. They have a "Maka My Weekend" that was Reggae music and it was huge. Different themes for different weekends and turn downtown into a real destination and not just a road with side walk and a few bars.

Shopping was also nice because you could just walk across the old street area anywhere and walk back and forth to stores or restaurants without having to find a cross walk.

Bar hopping in the evening was great because you could walk to all of them and could hit a microbrew then a laid back relaxing type bar and then cross the street and hit the dance club. Throw in a little country at a country bar if you wanted.