Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting: Class of 2011 and beyond

Default Re: Recruiting: Class of 2011 and beyond

Interesting story on 2012 recruit Zak Showalter and his dad/coach Steve...

Father and son leading Germantown's success

Some parents, regardless of their experience, become coaches only because their son or daughter will eventually be on the team.

Germantown boys basketball coach Steve Showalter is not one of them. In fact, he thought he would have been replaced by the time that happened.

"My sons were 6 and 4, I think, when I started coaching," Showalter said. "I was looking at the short term; I'd be someone to help out for a while until they found a real coach."

It turns out that real coach is Showalter, who played for Bo Ryan at UW-Platteville and has clinched his 10th winning season in 11 years with the Warhawks.

"I loved to play; I've been a basketball player my whole life," Showalter said. "Even in adulthood, I still enjoyed playing the game, going around the country in three-on-three tournaments, or any adult open basketball I could find. The coach that was here before me came into the police department where I work because he knew who I was. He had been asking me to help him on his staff. I had gotten to the age where my playing career was starting to slow down, so I thought I'd pitch in."

As of now, only four boys teams from the Milwaukee area's eight conferences have won at least 18 games every year since the start of the 2006-'07 campaign: Germantown, Racine St. Catherine's, Whitefish Bay Dominican and Wisconsin Lutheran.

Germantown is seeded first in the Division 1 playoffs with a 21-1 record and has won its last 11 games since a loss to De Pere.

The team finished 14-0 in the North Shore Conference and won its fourth league title in the last five years. Before Showalter was hired in 2000, the Warhawks won a total of two conference crowns.

"A lot of good kids have busted their rear ends to get us to this level," Showalter said.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/117124838.html
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Showalter is also a nominee for wissports.net's player of the month....

Zak Showalter, Germantown - Germantown was outstanding all year, but in the month of February the Warhawks cranked their offense up to incredible levels with Showalter leading the charge. Germantown averaged 87.7 points per game in February and scored at least 75 in every game. They eclipsed the 100-point mark in a 103-29 victory over Grafton on February 18th. Despite not playing full games due to dominating scores, Showalter averaged 21.7 points per game during the month in addition to contributions as a ballhandler, defender, rebounder, etc. He tied his season high with 34 points in an 88-50 win at Nicolet on February 15th.
    http://www.wissports.net/article.asp...1157&sportID=1
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Showalter is also a nominee for wissports.net's player of the month....

http://www.wissports.net/article.asp...1157&sportID=1
    Showalter throws one down!
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

• Lucas Brown, Roseville: Wofford
    • Shelby Moats, Waconia: Vanderbilt
    • Tom Schalk, Apple Valley: William & Mary
    • Marvin Singleton, Hopkins: Northern Iowa
    • Jonah Travis, DeLaSalle: Harvard
    • Ross Travis, Chaska: Penn State
    • Estan Tyler, St. Paul Johnson: Mo.-Kansas City
    • Jake White, Chaska: Wichita St.
    • Mike Yahnke, Delano: Texas-Pan Am

NDSU talked to only Tyler and Jonah, correct? did we have ANY interest in any of these other guys?? wow, thats a lot of metro kids going away when they couldve stayed and went to NDSU.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by lakesbison View Post
    • Lucas Brown, Roseville: Wofford
    • Shelby Moats, Waconia: Vanderbilt
    • Tom Schalk, Apple Valley: William & Mary
    • Marvin Singleton, Hopkins: Northern Iowa
    • Jonah Travis, DeLaSalle: Harvard
    • Ross Travis, Chaska: Penn State
    • Estan Tyler, St. Paul Johnson: Mo.-Kansas City
    • Jake White, Chaska: Wichita St.
    • Mike Yahnke, Delano: Texas-Pan Am

NDSU talked to only Tyler and Jonah, correct? did we have ANY interest in any of these other guys?? wow, thats a lot of metro kids going away when they couldve stayed and went to NDSU.
    The Bison were certainly aware of all of these kids and my guess is that they at least talked with all of them at some point. At this point, the Bison are going to have a very difficult time landing a kid who has the opportunity to play in the Big Ten (Ross Travis), the SEC (Shelby Moats), or even the MVC (White and Singleton). Jonah Travis had a ton of options as well, and I've heard that Harvard is a decent school.

The coaching staff seems excited about the kids that they did land for next year (Lindberg and Kading) and they are out beating the bushes in many different states for one more.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

This seemed like the most logical place to put this. Looks like we've at least been in contact with him.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/20110...s-select-group

When do we expect to here news on our last open spot?

bisonhusker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

They can't sign until April, but they could verbal anytime. I don't think within the month.

Signing Day April 12th