Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Forum article on NDSU-UND game

Default Re: Annual Forum article on NDSU-UND game

Gene Taylor gets it. He understands that we dont have to cater to them. We dont need UND, but they need us. Why dont people get this? He doesnt want to give in to the team that mocked us for the D1 move and STOPPED the rivalry. Why doesnt anybody mention that? Somehow the media, UND fans, and even some of our own brethren think Taylor is the bad guy in this situation. He's not. They stopped the rivalry, simple as that and they should be willing to play on OUR own terms, not theirs. When we do play them again it should be in Fargo and we should never go up there. There's no reason to. Call me arrogant, blah blah. But it's no where near the arrogance that's been spewed over the years from up north. And that's the memo.

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    Gene Taylor gets it. He understands that we dont have to cater to them. We dont need UND, but they need us. Why dont people get this? He doesnt want to give in to the team that mocked us for the D1 move and STOPPED the rivalry. Why doesnt anybody mention that? Somehow the media, UND fans, and even some of our own brethren think Taylor is the bad guy in this situation. He's not. They stopped the rivalry, simple as that and they should be willing to play on OUR own terms, not theirs. When we do play them again it should be in Fargo and we should never go up there. There's no reason to. Call me arrogant blah blah. But it's no where near the arrogance that's been spewed over the years from up north; and that's the memo.
    i'm not saying Gene is the bad guy. but eventually this has to be water under the bridge. its not about who did what or who screwed who. yes, they told us to F off when we transitioned. guess what? we came out stronger, and now their behind. would it have been any different if UND had transitioned with us at the same time? no. we had better leadership then and that would have still taken us to where we went with the bonus of getting to kick the suzies ass.

as for playing up there, I have no problem with it. its unrealistic to think we will NEVER again go to Grand Forks. plus, and I think many athletes would say the same here, there is nothing better than going to someone elses field and stuffing in their face on their home turf. we've always said "Bring on the Competition". we'll whip them anytime anywhere.

and fwiw-if the MVC loses any teams or looks to expand, they'll be looking at USD and UND. i wouldnt be shocked if something like that happens in the next decade. hell, Indiana State may just decide to drop football. that program is a total waste.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonatrix View Post
    i'm not saying Gene is the bad guy. but eventually this has to be water under the bridge. its not about who did what or who screwed who. yes, they told us to F off when we transitioned. guess what? we came out stronger, and now their behind. would it have been any different if UND had transitioned with us at the same time? no. we had better leadership then and that would have still taken us to where we went with the bonus of getting to kick the suzies ass.

as for playing up there, I have no problem with it. its unrealistic to think we will NEVER again go to Grand Forks. plus, and I think many athletes would say the same here, there is nothing better than going to someone elses field and stuffing in their face on their home turf. we've always said "Bring on the Competition". we'll whip them anytime anywhere.

and fwiw-if the MVC loses any teams or looks to expand, they'll be looking at USD and UND. i wouldnt be shocked if something like that happens in the next decade. hell, Indiana State may just decide to drop football. that program is a total waste.
    Indiana State isn't going anywhere - How come USD didn't have a problem with schedule while und does? Are they special? I know they think they are and it's going to be sweet next year as most if not all their teams will be terrible.

Not that I care, but Indiana State may be on the rise. Only graduated 8 players from the the '09 squad and while listening to the local broadcasters before last year's NDSU game, they were really high on their incoming class. Add their new stadium plans and you never know.
    I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing them have a little success for once. Kinda feel for 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    Not that I care, but Indiana State may be on the rise. Only graduated 8 players from the the '09 squad and while listening to the local broadcasters before last year's NDSU game, they were really high on their incoming class. Add their new stadium plans and you never know.
    I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing them have a little success for once. Kinda feel for 'em.
    ISU-B isn't going anywhere unless the MVC decides to NOT support FB.

ALSO Major Shiat will have to happen for UND and USD to be in the Valley. There is seriously a better chance they push the Whole Conference to FBS before they are admitted IMO, and we all know thats not happening soon
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    ISU-B isn't going anywhere unless the MVC decides to NOT support FB.

ALSO Major Shiat will have to happen for UND and USD to be in the Valley. There is seriously a better chance they push the Whole Conference to FBS before they are admitted IMO, and we all know thats not happening soon
    Missouri State and Illinois State have hinted at FBS before. If those schools decide to jump, then I think the rest of the MVFC schools will pull the trigger as well, making it a conference-wide leap. It just depends on every MVFC school having a stadium that seats at least 15,000. By that time, maybe SDSU will have more work done on their stadium and ISU-Blue will either add on to their current place or have that new stadium built. SIU's new place seats 15,000, and I think WIU can seat over 15,000 as well.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    Missouri State and Illinois State have hinted at FBS before. If those schools decide to jump, then I think the rest of the MVFC schools will pull the trigger as well, making it a conference-wide leap. It just depends on every MVFC school having a stadium that seats at least 15,000. By that time, maybe SDSU will have more work done on their stadium and ISU-Blue will either add on to their current place or have that new stadium built. SIU's new place seats 15,000, and I think WIU can seat over 15,000 as well.
    I wonder how recent state budget struggles (such as Iowa) will affect this. Can the state of Iowa afford to have 3 fully funded FBS teams? Can the state of Illinois afford to have what 5-6? 21 more scholorships and also having to now offer bigger payouts for schools to travel to your place could affect the decisions of some of these schools, unless states get their budgets in check.

I know its long term but there could be programs cut before that time ever gets here.

MVFC goes FBS without UNI and we pick up Notre Dame
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

honestly? i think the moment Gene leaves, whether he retires or goes elsewhere ala Kent State, its on every year. he is the last link to the drama of our transition and UND flipping us the bird. Thomas, Kupchella, hell even that puppet AD Bunning they briefly had are all gone. the first two in that were the ones who kept UND D2, and they paid the price dearly. if both of those guys were still around they might STILL be in D2.

once NDSU had sweeping success, I think Joe and Gene took the forefront on not playing them. whether it was revenge or feasibility, i dont know. either way, with Joe gone, we're going to have a president who wont know the way they screwed us and will look at the bottom line-the money and feasibility in playing UND again now that they are a D1 counter. its no secret Gene has been looking.

eventually, i think UND's new president and the new NDSU president will get together and force this thing to happen. neither guy was entrenched here during the big fight and will want the money and exposure. hell, i wouldnt be surprised if, around the time the two presidents force a game, Gene has either left for a bigger job or takes a bigger job. either way, as ugly as things got, I always believed it would take fresh blood with no vendettas to serve for the series to resume.
    I think MPLS said the same thing over at the sue site.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

In my mind, when you are treated this way, it is always about who did what to who. Who acted or behaved in a respectful manner and who didn't. The words and actions from UND created this rift, given the chance, I think UND could pull the same type of crap. The difference is, now they don't have any pull regarding NDSU. I am a little gun shy about empowering UND, at least where the NDSU football program is concerned, they have abused it in the past.