Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guess As To What The Two-Deep Roster Will Look Like After Spring Practice

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default A Guess As To What The Two-Deep Roster Will Look Like After Spring Practice

I and a couple of friends at work have been going through some serious college football withdrawl this past week. Thus, the topic of conversation came around to spring practice, largely because we are hoping the Bison get a good spring workout, much better than last year's flood interrupted version (although at this point that appears to be a pipedream).

So, here are my thoughts after talking to a couple of other TeamMakers and a couple of parents of players. I'd be interested in what you all think. Obviously after a 3-8 season there are some serious upgrades necessary at several positions and some holes to fill with graduation (starter/backup):

Offense

Offensive Line
    As far as I am concerned, it all starts here. Arndt, Richard and Cornick are solid guys to re-build around. I think Cornick played at least as well as Ebel when he came in and is more physical.

LT-Arndt/Jacobs
    LG-Lund/Will
    C- Richard/Lund
    RG-Anderson/Landingham
    RT-Cornick/Jerve

Outlook: Solid starters but need to stay healthy to be productive, very thin and inexperienced backups.

Tight End
    As a group they need a little more physicality in run blocking, skills that should be worked on this spring.

TE-Veldman/Smith

Outlook: I personally think this is one of the deepest units on the team. Veldman has a chance to be all world. I think the combination of Nelson & Vaadeland will push Smith for backup playing time, big prototypical bodies on these two 2009 recruits.

Wide Receivers
    Somebody needs to break out and give Holloway some help, lot's of potential guys to do this but a productive spring will be very important to all of them.

WO-Holloway/Woods
    SE-Williams/Mack

Outlook: Other than Holloway no one has really stepped up, Williams has shown flashes of brilliance but has been plagued with injuries. Lot's of talent in the underclassmen, I would like to see one or more of them step up but I question whether that can happen. Spring is very important to this group which has a lot of bodies but very little proven ability.

Runningback
    Another strength of this years team.

FB-Vandal/Hushka
    TB-Voitlander/McNorton

Outlook: There are a myriad of possibilities with the stockpile of talent Bohl has accumulated at this position. Voit is the starter in my scenario because I love the guys work ethic and productivity on the field but I acknowledge that DJ will likely get the nod. Sigers and Ojuri will obviously also see the field in spot situations. I think Bruhn and Grothman will push Hushka for back up time behind Vandal at FB. These are exciting times and I think the Bison won't miss a beat with the loss of Paschall to graduation.

Quarterback
    As stated in another thread, I haven't felt this good about the QB position for a long time.

QB-Mohler/Jensen

Outlook: I think either of these two guys can effectively manage the game, but they both need to have good springs in order to transform this position from a liability to an asset on the team.

Defense

There is no doubt that this unit needs a lot more work and development than the offense and in my personal opinion the Bison are a year or so away from having a team that have a characteristically dominant defense for this program.

Defensive Line
    Again, as with the OL, I think an effective defense starts with the line of scrimmage and I like to think of this unit as the best on the D.

DE-Boyer/Jirik
    DT-Gratzek/Gimmestad
    NT-Phillips/Reid
    DE-Johnson/Juckem

Outlook: This unit slowly improved over the course of last year but was not as good as I thought they could be. Personally, I think the development of Boyer and Johnson was slowed by the lack of effective backups. I think Jirik and Juckem, or Perry/Stoczynski, will change that. The interior line also needs to develop effective backups this spring.

Linebackers
    This unit was seriously deficient last year for several reasons. I think the productivity of this unit in 2010 will be invariably linked to the ability of Anderson and Beson to recover their injuries.

SLB-Evans/Anderson
    MLB-Forbes/Willson
    WLB-Jemison/Beson

Outlook: My arrangement of this unit by position is a POA and likely the subject of some debate. But again, whether or not Anderson can fully recover from a neck injury is really in question. Bowman, in my opinion, never regained form for example. There has been talk Beson's career may be over, I hope not. My guess is that if they both return it will be as quality backups and spot duty. Forbes and Willson need to solidify the middle which has been a disaster since the graduation of Joe Mays. Both are participating in spring practice which is a plus.

Defensive Backs
    Another weak spot on the defense last year and, unfortunately, the unit I think is also most suspect going into spring practice.

CB-Gatlin/Williams
    FS-Eaves/Jackson
    SS-Lemon/Ollman
    CB-Pierre/Colvin, Z

Outlook: Although I am hoping for improvement I am skeptical. The defensive backfield may be okay if they stay injury-free. I think Gatlin and Pierre have talent but did not have enough experience last year to help significantly. Remember, Pierre never played the position before and he beat out Derrius Colvin who I think is a bust, that is why I have the TFr Zach Colvin as a back up. I also realize that Marcus Williams cannot participate in spring practice, but I think the position is so thin he will still be penciled in as a backup CB. Ollman could beat out Lemon I think at SS. Lemon couldn't beat out Belmont last year who played with a bum knee, so I think SS is wide open this spring. I know Jackson was moved to OLB, but I think he will be moved back this spring to FS, an area of deep concern in this unit.

Special Teams

I don't know even where to start. I think punting will be fine, but I have no faith in Jastram as a kicker and I am disappointed that none were signed for this years class (that I am aware of). I am also hoping the new coaches can significantly upgrade the punt and kick coverage which has been dismal without much improvement the past three years.

Outlook: ?????????????????????????????

So, there you have it, my two cents. I would like to hear from the rest of you BVers to see what you think about the 2010 version of the Bison after spring practice.

Default Re: A Guess As To What The Two-Deep Roster Will Look Like After Spring Practice

Good post Neil. Refreshing to see someone stick their neck out with some opinions.

Defensive line needs to take the heat off the others. LB & DB were hung out to dry. QB pressure & run stuffing from these 4 would change the whole team.

Mohler will prove to be the ultimate West Coast QB. All of the elements...lightning quick release, lightning-quick runner, quick decisions, can thread the needle with a rocket, throws a soft pass when needed, leads the receiver so that they can run after the catch, looks off the open receiver, actually knows how to pump-fake, doesn't hang receivers out to dry very often. The team comes out of the huddle with energy when he's back there...it's like, "let's get at it. We're gonna score."

Dropped passes the last two years? Check all of the above. It was interesting to see the receivers' response to Jose's passes by catching them. Would be great to see Jensen, Thorton, and Perez challenge Mohler. We need more than one QB. Running back by committee is probably what we'll see. I agree about Voit...but we're absolutely loaded back there. Wow
    Last edited by CaBisonFan; 02-28-2010 at 06:48 PM.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Default Re: A Guess As To What The Two-Deep Roster Will Look Like After Spring Practice

Nice, but I think Ojuri will be the starting tailback.

I'll second the Ojuri moves into starting tail back.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't know what more Voight has to do to prove himself. Seems like everytime he touches the rock good things happen, and thats with very limited touches. I second Voight being the starting back.

I third Voigtlander for RB1, good things happen when he gets the ball and I think Ojuri will have a tough time beating either Voigt or DJ out in the spring. I think he will have to prove he is better over the course of the season, he has too much ground to make up to do it in the spring.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlandbison View Post
    Nice, but I think Ojuri will be the starting tailback.
    This might be right. I hope that he's been pumping iron. Needed to get stronger & a little heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I third Voigtlander for RB1, good things happen when he gets the ball and I think Ojuri will have a tough time beating either Voigt or DJ out in the spring. If he does, it is something he will have to prove over the course of the season.
    If Ojuri gets a lot stronger...watch out. If not, then I'm with Voit. Regardless, I agree with good things happening when he gets the ball...an intangible that we sorely need. Could it be called leadership?

As far as HB goes, I have to give my props to Voigt. All the guy does is make plays and score touchdowns. Ojuri, DJ and Sigers are going to be some great backups and I think at least one of them should get a shot at a slot receiver - get DJ into some open space and he'll make some magic happen.

Overall I like the list Neil, I'd like to see K-jack get a shot at starting safety though - Lemon hasn't been all too impressive in his tenure, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Spring ball is going to rock.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

Good post. Not all of those players will be full go for spring ball due to off-season surgery and some other players won't be present for spring ball. So expect some changes on the list.