Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on incoming signees (TV and MB)

Default Questions on incoming signees (TV and MB)

Trayvonn and Marshall are listed just about everywhere as PFs both - Burgundy, Kermit, Student, etc, any idea if TV can act more as an SF or Marshall as a C? Where do you guys foresee them falling into the lineup, with Aaberg as a Center and Bjorklund as the 4-man, or maybe with TV filling in at the 3-spot allowing Braun some minutes at a guard position? I imagine the latter query isn't as big a focus next year with Tveidt most likely taking most of the minutes at 3, but how is Trayvonn's perimeter game?

Just idle musings as I ponder the future personnel.

(Obviously this is all hypothetical and stab-in-the-dark - all of this is a ways off and we are still waiting on [hopefully?] two more verbals, just abstractly wondering.)
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

Default Re: Questions on incoming signees (TV and MB)

I think Bjorklund is likely a four but could also play the five as well if Saul wanted to go small.

Wright is definitely a three, the guy oozes athleticism, but he is definitely going to need get bigger. He is a bit raw from what I have heard, but he has tremendous potential.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Marshall's offensive game is that of a center, but he's 6/8. He has a good frame and will be a force his last 3 years with some weight training. He is very skilled around the basket (like Joe Reinier) where you dump it down to him and let him work, but more footwork and finesse than Joe. He will give the bison a scoring option in the post at the 4/5. I look for him to play as a Fr and be a double digit scorer by year 2. Has good feet and runs the court well for his size.

Trayvonn, from what I have seen and read will be less of a scorer and more of a shot blocker, rebounder and defensive stopper. The kind of guy that cleans up missed layups with throw down dunks, and defends the paint to get the weak stuff out of there. He can really run, and will be one of the best pure athletes to play at NDSU. He offensive game will develop, and a redshirt year would help.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Good questions! Trayvonn, Marshall, and Jordan all have work to do on their games before this sorts itself out. Trayvonn is a freak athlete with hops the likes of which have not been seen in the BSA. He is very skinny, but has a very raw perimeter game. In other words, he currently has the game of a 4, but the body of a 3. He could be a good candidate for a redshirt while he gets stronger and works on his shooting and ball handling. Eventually, I would look for him to be able to play 3 or 4 and be a tough matchup at either.

Bjorklund is an extremely fundamentally sound post player, but a little short to be a classic center. He is a little like Kevin Love in that regard (I'm not comparing his talent to Love). In time, Bjorklund and Aaberg could complement each other well--"thunder and lightning"--and it may not matter which you call a 5 vs. 4.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post

Wright is definitely a three, the guy oozes athleticism, but he is definitely going to need get bigger. He is a bit raw from what I have heard, but he has tremendous potential.
    This was along the lines of what I was thinking - I almost had him pegged as a Winkelman-style 4-deep-threat-option, able to get a look on the outside and cut in if the shot wasn't there. That was a pretty devastating combination insofar as Winks was able to make it work, and as Dicky V always says "There's nothing like speed and athleticism on the hardwood."

Thanks for the insight guys, makes Singles Awareness Day trickle by a bit more quickly.
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions

I wouldn't compare Wright to Winks. Wright's offensive game at this point consists mainly of monstrous dunks! I think of him as a smaller Dennis Rodman type, but I guess that gives away my age!
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I wouldn't compare Wright to Winks. Wright's offensive game at this point consists mainly of monstrous dunks! I think of him as a smaller Dennis Rodman type, but I guess that gives away my age!
    That's something I might just be able to live with.

Just my humble opinion, and I loved Winks and he was unarguably great for NDSU, but I think his lack of athleticism really showed when we played teams that were more athletic than NDSU, like Minnesota. It was almost like those teams forced him to play faster than he wanted and he really struggled.

If TW is really as athletic as everyone says, I'm not sure if his game is really comparative at all to Winks. Winks lacked athletcism for a mid major college but really had skills. TW seems to be raw in skills but has some major athleticism.

Default Trayvonn Wright update

Wright carries West boys to comeback win:

http://www.wcfcourier.com/sports/hig...cc4c002e0.html

It didn't seem promising, but Wright had his own ideas.

"For some reason, I knew we were gonna win this game," he said.

Wright knew what to do. First he converted an alley-oop feed from Trent Washington into a dunk.

Playing at the top of West's 3-2 zone, the 6-foot-7 senior then stole the ball twice. He scored on a layup and still another dunk.

Just like that, West held its first lead, at 23-22, with 1 minute, 36 seconds to go in the third period. The Wahawks never trailed again.
    — John Wooden

Marshall Bjorklund's Sibley East squad knocked off St. Peter last night. Marshall had his usual: 27 points (12/15 from the floor), 13 rebounds, 7 blocks. Ho hum...
    — John Wooden