Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friendly Question

Default Friendly Question

I'm watching the Oakland/SDSU game the other night, and the announcers kept doing something that sort of bugged me. About half the time, the referred to us as South Dakota State, the rest of the time they called us "South Dakota" or "Dakota".

This is particularly annoying due to the fact the University of South Dakota is hated by many SDSU fans.

I would imagine that if this happened to NDSU (especially if they referred to you as "North Dakota"), you guys would be pretty upset and I haven't seen any posts to that effect.

So my question is, does this happen to you guys? Or did the notoriety of the last few seasons where you men's team got some national recognition put a kabosh to it?

Any thoughts on how to stop it?

Default Re: Friendly Question

Yes it happens.

Nothing you can really do to stop it. it just comes with the territory. I watch plenty of Kansas State basketball games, and they do the same thing to them, referring to KSUck as "Kansas", and it pisses them off probably more.

Has happened nearly a million times.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by silkamilkamonico View Post
    Yes it happens.

Nothing you can really do to stop it. it just comes with the territory. I watch plenty of Kansas State basketball games, and they do the same thing to them, referring to KSUck as "Kansas", and it pisses them off probably more.
    Silk, you are a clever bastard!

It never really bothers me because NDSU represents North Dakota. It's not like anybody in North Dakota calls UND "North Dakota". It's UND or the University of North Dakota or the University of Phoenix - Grand Forks. Now if they said "UND", "University of North Dakota", or the "Sioux" that would be different.

yeah its not a big deal. I've heard Michigan St. refered to as Michigan in games. Its just easier for the announcers. I do it myself with schools
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

wow is a und fan that poses as a sdsu. he is just stirring the pot, ignore him.
    “It's been an age of discovery, I guess. That's a way to put it. Everything is a new experience and we've been competitive in 99.9 percent of the games we've played in and won some of them.”

Saul Phillips

Sorry, you're wrong. Just got done watching the SDSU/IPFW game on Summit TV.

Just because someone calls us "North Dakota", or Michigan State "Michigan", or Kansas State "Kansas", doesn't necessarily mean theyre referring to the other schools

I recall watching the DII championship football game on TV a few years ago and in the pregame, the announcers had the two ND schools mixed up. My recollection is UND was playing but the announcers called them NDSU (I could have it backwards).
    Go Jackrabbits!