Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Kind of Ironic

Default OT: Kind of Ironic

First, I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the "other schools" category.

I was just reading a thread on a Notre Dame board and someone mentions that, and this is their exact quote, "I think it would set an intimidating tone if he led them out of the tunnel to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck".

The next person goes on to say, "Exactly! Time for the 21st century. And a jumbotron with an animated leprechaun clapping away and stomping feet and throwing punches."

Do they wanna be NDSU? Substitute Thundar for animated leprechaun and that is pretty much exactly the same. Which one of you guys went and suggested all of this on their board?

Default Re: OT: Kind of Ironic

Link that shizz! It's time for a Bville take over of their board! haha
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by WRSDBison View Post
    First, I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the "other schools" category.

I was just reading a thread on a Notre Dame board and someone mentions that, and this is their exact quote, "I think it would set an intimidating tone if he led them out of the tunnel to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck".

The next person goes on to say, "Exactly! Time for the 21st century. And a jumbotron with an animated leprechaun clapping away and stomping feet and throwing punches."

Do they wanna be NDSU? Substitute Thundar for animated leprechaun and that is pretty much exactly the same. Which one of you guys went and suggested all of this on their board?
    Not against your post...and I realize that NDSU is a little different. Times change...but not much at Notre Dame. I think that the Irish could use a uniform facelift. They look like a military academy team.

The band at Notre Dame is sacred...as it should be. I've seen them 'live' at the Orange Bowl. When the guys in the kilts came out and the band did its routine before the game my jaw was on the ground. Better than any piped music...exponentially.

Still...the larger point has to do with how steeped Notre Dame is in tradition. It's my opinion that the weight of the tradition has made it harder for the program to find a new identity...which it sorely needs. Recruits see it as 'old school.' And as everyone knows...academia is making it harder to get the Florida/Texas/California speedsters.

It's a good post. You have a good point...and the people on the Notre Dame board have a point. Thanks for bringing this up on the board.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Times change...but not much at Notre Dame. I think that the Irish could use a uniform facelift. They look like a military academy team.
    Couldn't disagree more. Infact, they need to stop wearing those stupid green uni's. To many schools are going overboard with the multiple uni's and different styles...aka Oregon. The classic look that has survived for an extremely long time is unseen. Even both military academies have recently had uniform changes, yet Notre Dame stays the same, and I would be willing to be that they have decent sales without changing anything.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have been to a few Notre Dame games, and for someone whose family has followed Notre Dame for generations, it was like walking in holy ground: the campus filled with fall colors on the trees, fans lining the sidewalk as the team walks from the cathredral to the stadium, the Guard in their kilts & band marching down the street chanting "Here come the Irish!", and the band playing the Victory March in the stadium.

Tradition and rituals are important to us Catholics, and that seems to translate to the traditions and game rituals at Notre Dame football games. Some things are timeless, even as other universities try to chase the next "new thing", like Oregon's ever-changing uniforms. Those timeless aspects should be left alone.
    Last edited by cbline; 02-09-2010 at 07:09 PM.

I've also been to Notre Dame Stadium for a game. I agree with cbline 100%. The experience is one of a kind in college football today. There are places that are larger and louder but there aren't many that can match the tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. Infact, they need to stop wearing those stupid green uni's. To many schools are going overboard with the multiple uni's and different styles...aka Oregon. The classic look that has survived for an extremely long time is unseen. Even both military academies have recently had uniform changes, yet Notre Dame stays the same, and I would be willing to be that they have decent sales without changing anything.
    Dont blame the schools, blame the corporations paying for these weird unis

mango is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    I don't have a problem with the green uni's, they only time the wear them is for big games. Charlie seemed to use a lot more than in the past and I don't think Kelly will use them as much.

Now, they just need to start winning in them

Notre Dame is Notre Dame.
    Being old school-tradition actually helps them. Just look at their recuiting classes. Even with Chucky Cheese they had outstanding recruits. The recruits continually talk about its tradition and academic standards.
    Holding a degree from Notre Dame can be huge.

I would love to go see a game there!!!!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Notre Dame is Notre Dame.
    Being old school-tradition actually helps them. Just look at their recuiting classes. Even with Chucky Cheese they had outstanding recruits. The recruits continually talk about its tradition and academic standards.
    Holding a degree from Notre Dame can be huge.

I would love to go see a game there!!!!
    I hope to see a game there some day as well. One my friends from high school went to a game there and he said it was simply an amazing experience.

My friend said that walking around the campus before the game is a lot of fun. Fans line the sidewalk while the team walks from Mass to the field and he actually got a high five from Brady Quinn!