Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unfireable Head Coach

Default Unfireable Head Coach

Lately I have been wondering what makes a school decide that through thick and thin they have found their guy to coach the football team. What makes Penn State decide to keep Joe Paterno for this long, what makes Florida State keep Bobby Bowden all of these years? What would it take for a coach to become this type of coach for the Bison, 1 national championship, 2? I am always curious about this because in this day and age in college football winning is everything. It seems a coach has 2 maybe 3 years to bring a team to where the school wants it to be and then cans the guy if it doesn't happen quickly.

We have all been talking lately about all of the coaching turnover the Bison have experienced and looked at it as a negative to the program, but in the next breath we are quick to say that if Coach Bohl doesn't win 8 games next year he is done. Now, without looking I can say for certain that both Penn St. and Florida St. have had ups and downs during their respective coaches tenures, yet they weren't fired. Now certainly NDSU has great tradition in football, noone can argue that. But both Penn St. and Florida St. have more in my opinion and have fan bases that I'm sure are just as if not more critical of the program when things don't go well.

This post isn't to say lay off Coach Bohl, not one bit, I think he deserves some heat for our past 2 seasons. All I am asking is, if turnover is such a bad thing in the college football coaching world, why aren't we looking for some stability out of the head coach here. If we as a school and a fan base don't have any loyalty to our coaches, how do we expect quality assistants to come in and be loyal to the program and not leave when a higher paying job comes calling. At what point do we say, if ever, this coach is our guy good, bad or ugly, because he epitomizes Bison football and we want him to represent us?
    Last edited by Bison06; 12-29-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Whining

Default Re: Unfireable Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    Lately I have been wondering what makes a school decide that through thick and thin they have found their guy to coach the football team. What makes Penn State decide to keep Joe Paterno for this long, what makes Florida State keep Bobby Bowden all of these years? What would it take for a coach to become this type of coach for the Bison, 1 national championship, 2? I am always curious about this because in this day and age in college football winning is everything. It seems a coach has 2 maybe 3 years to bring a team to where the school wants it to be and then cans the guy if it doesn't happen quickly. We have all been talking lately about all of the coaching turnover the Bison have experienced and looked at it as a negative to the program, but in the next breath we are quick to say that if Coach Bohl doesn't win 8 games next year he is done. Now, without looking I can say for certain that both Penn St. and Florida St. have had ups and downs during their respective coaches tenures, yet they weren't fired. Now certainly NDSU has great tradition in football, noone can argue that. But both Penn St. and Florida St. have more in my opinion and have fan bases that I'm sure are just as if not more critical of the program when things don't go well. This post isn't to say lay off Coach Bohl, not one bit, I think he deserves some heat for our past 2 seasons. All I am asking is, if turnover is such a bad thing in the college football coaching world, why aren't we looking for some stability out of the head coach here. If we as a school and a fan base don't have any loyalty to our coaches, how do we expect quality assistants to come in and be loyal to the program and not leave when a higher paying job comes calling. At what point do we say, if ever, this coach is our guy good, bad or ugly, because he epitomizes Bison football and we want him to represent us?

OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Didn't even read it.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

You guys are hilarious, people post their thesis on here with no complaints and I push out a 300 word paragraph and get complaints. I'll edit.

You guys are hilarious, people post their thesis on here with no complaints and I push out a 300 word paragraph and get complaints. I'll edit.

your fine leave it alone
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

And I don't read them either haha. Either way, just got home from work so I was just lazy in this case and felt like piling on.
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

I guess you have to define---who is WE? As far as administration is concerned I am sure they would love to have a low turn over rate. Administration has much more patience than boosters and fans.

Boosters and fans are great at knee jerk reactions and call for the coaches head when the record doesnt meet THEIR expectations.

I posted awhile back that if fans want loyalty out of coaches then they should be loyal to the coaches in the lean times as well. Anybody can be a fan when the team is winning.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Let's be honest though, it is boosters who make the real decisions. Pressure from the people who donate to a program can get a coach fired in a hurry. But, the point still stands then, if this is the case why hasn't Joe Paterno been fired or why hasn't Bobby Bowden been let go until now. It has to be about more than wins and losses IMO. We need a coach who represents what NDSU is about and we need to keep him win, lose or draw. That way assistants who want to be here will come and stay and players will come here to be a part of something more than a football team. Just my opinion I guess.

Let's be honest though, it is boosters who make the real decisions. Pressure from the people who donate to a program can get a coach fired in a hurry. But, the point still stands then, if this is the case why hasn't Joe Paterno been fired or why hasn't Bobby Bowden been let go until now. It has to be about more than wins and losses IMO. We need a coach who represents what NDSU is about and we need to keep him win, lose or draw. That way assistants who want to be here will come and stay and players will come here to be a part of something more than a football team. Just my opinion I guess.
    because they're the two winningest coaches in college football

Well I would argue that is because they have been the longest tenured coaches, not because they enjoyed the most success in the short term. You also can't tell me either of those programs hasn't had 2 seasons like we just had over the course of the program.