Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minard Hall Caves In!!!

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Minard Hall Caves In!!!

http://www.kfgo.com/news_Detail.php?ID=10169

crazy!!! lucky it happened over break when no one was in there, maybe this could work to get the BSA fixed, just loosen the ground under the BSA??

Facts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Minard Hall Caves In!!!

How does this problem get solved? I would think the structural damage is fairly extensive, and most of the groundwork done for the addition is worthless now because the ground under the old section has to be repaired. Big Bummer for the expansion.
    Go Bison.

how is the forum not all over this story. Technically it would be about NDSU falling apart, you would think they'd be running a headline "NDSU Failing Apart. Origin of Collapse Believed to Have Begun Under Chapman's Watch"
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yea, I am shocked there is nothing on the Forum's website about it. I wonder how this is going to effect the new edition? Was that potion of Minard coming down anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by North Side View Post
    Yea, I am shocked there is nothing on the Forum's website about it. I wonder how this is going to effect the new edition? Was that potion of Minard coming down anyway?
    It's up in their daily update section(I saw it there before coming here).

Wall collapses from North Dakota State University’s Menard(sic) Hall

In the Forum it says that it expects to have it ready by the time students return? It's hard to understand that after seeing this picture?
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Facts View Post
    How does this problem get solved? I would think the structural damage is fairly extensive, and most of the groundwork done for the addition is worthless now because the ground under the old section has to be repaired. Big Bummer for the expansion.
    On the plus side, that wall was going to have to come down and all that area gutted as part of the renovation(I assume). On the negative, that area is now unstable and dangerous to work in. Bruce Franz is saying he hopes the building will be ready to go by Jan 11(first day of classes), since the affected areas are office space and not classroom space.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Holy crap!! From the looks of the image, it looks like they were digging on that side of the building and may have undermined the foundation, causing the collapse. If that is the case, there will be a faulty party and many things will get tied up in court for quite a while. This will be a big mess when it is all said and done.

I only had one class in that building - freshman algebra by Val Smith. I always thought she sort of resembled Vikings coach Jerry Burns. She was not a happy person.

Wow.

They had a spoof edition of the spectrum on about ten years ago where they joked that the coal tower (right by minard) had collapsed - I just had a flashback.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

I just did a tally of the work done to Minard over the last decade. Do you realize that almost $30 million has been spent on the building since 2002? That's including the work being done right now or scheduled for the next year. Of that, it looks like about $17.5 million came from the state. The rest must have come from other sources.