Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bohl's "unfair" quote

Default Bohl's "unfair" quote

What do you make of Bohl's "It's unfair to the football team in the course of the game to make a switch."?

This was in reference to why he didn't put Jose Mohler into the SDSU game. The only time in Coach Bohl's tenure where he has pulled a QB during a game for ineffectiveness was the Northern Colorado game where Steve Walker nearly pulled out a win. As a fan in Greeley that afternoon, I sure didn't feel as though he was being 'unfair' to his team for pulling Tony Stauss.

He has only piece of history (as a head coach) to draw from and he comes out with that quote?!!

Default Re: Bohl's "unfair" quote

Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post
    What do you make of Bohl's "It's unfair to the football team in the course of the game to make a switch."?

This was in reference to why he didn't put Jose Mohler into the SDSU game. The only time in Coach Bohl's tenure where he has pulled a QB during a game for ineffectiveness was the Northern Colorado game where Steve Walker nearly pulled out a win. As a fan in Greeley that afternoon, I sure didn't feel as though he was being 'unfair' to his team for pulling Tony Stauss.

He has only piece of history (as a head coach) to draw from and he comes out with that quote?!!
    Its his coaching philosophy. One I think he needs to look at more closely.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Braxton,

As soon as I read that quote, I immediately thought of Northern Colorado! Turns out I guess it wasn't fair to that team to be playing Steve Walker then. I didn't think that was such a bad thing. I will give Staus praise for helping us get back on the winning track. Walker then took the reigns and ran with them.

It's also unfair to not make changes when we're at 1-6.

Quote Originally Posted by BraxtonT View Post

Bohl said it was unfair because Mertens had the bulk of reps in practice and knew SDSU's tendencies better than Jose would have.

I think if the game would have gotten out of hand Bohl would have pulled the plug on Mertens. Jose was warming up before Mertens went on that second TD drive.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Bohl said it was unfair because Mertens had the bulk of reps in practice and knew SDSU's tendencies better than Jose would have.

I think if the game would have gotten out of hand Bohl would have pulled the plug on Mertens. Jose was warming up before Mertens went on that second TD drive.
    It wasn't a good time to put Mohler in. It was the perfect time. That quote is absolutely mind-boggling. Truly unbelievable. Wow !!!

Earth to Bohl. Things were not going well. It was time to stop worrying about the opponent's tendences and make them worry about ours. We needed a hurry-up offense in the worst way. We needed a change-up. Bohl had the option 3 or 4 weeks ago. That's right...can the season because of a stupid philosophy like that. Geez !!

Urgency

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

They were much different situations though. When Bohl pulled Stauss he had thrown like 5 picks in three quarters, and Tony's confidence was completely shot. I don't think the team would support a QB change in the middle of the game unless he had completely melted down on the field. Another example of this happened in the NFL earlier this season when the Panthers pulled Jake Dellhomme in the third for all of his picks.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Its his coaching philosophy. One I think he needs to look at more closely.
    I'm not a coaching guru but it's it tough for a defense to prepare for a backup qb?

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post

Shouldn't the back-up have same amount of reps and be given the same reads as the starter? You know........just in case?

Quote Originally Posted by GoRams View Post
    They were much different situations though. When Bohl pulled Stauss he had thrown like 5 picks in three quarters, and Tony's confidence was completely shot. I don't think the team would support a QB change in the middle of the game unless he had completely melted down on the field. Another example of this happened in the NFL earlier this season when the Panthers pulled Jake Dellhomme in the third for all of his picks.
    Then why didn't Bohl pull Mertens last year at UNI?