Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Referees

Default Re: Referees

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    It felt like a continuation of the Twins game from Friday night, when Joe Mauer hit that foul ball to left field...and the ump couldn't decide which home plate to use...

I think that some of the chippy play came as a result of too many flags...and frustration came into play on both sides.

The biggest missed call of this game was #24 pushing PP nearly to the airport. He should have been ejected from the game.
    I replayed that play later in slow motion. After watching it a couple of times Im amazed that the refs let that kid off and didnt eject him. There wasnt any reason for that type of conduct. As a matter of fact the TV guys even said they understood why the Bison player threw a punch. Which by the way didnt show up on the camera angle I had on the replay. But it did show the UNI player throwing a punch and being a jerk after the fact.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I replayed that play later in slow motion. After watching it a couple of times Im amazed that the refs let that kid off and didnt eject him. There wasnt any reason for that type of conduct. As a matter of fact the TV guys even said they understood why the Bison player threw a punch. Which by the way didnt show up on the camera angle I had on the replay. But it did show the UNI player throwing a punch and being a jerk after the fact.
    What replay did you watch ??? the UNI player pushed him well out of bounds yes when they got to the railing Pachall threw a punch but Paschall threw more then one punch and if ANYTHING they both should of been booted

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by spelunker64 View Post
    Yeah I thought it was a bit odd.

I didn't think you could take two Time Outs in a row like UNI did either?

What was the call on Shamen early too on the punt return. He gave the X (clear out) signal and then cought/returned it. Can you not do that? It wasn't a fair catch signal.
    The only signal a return man can give is a valid fair catch signal. They are reminded of that before every punt. The only valid signal they may give is to raise their arm above their head and wave it side to side. Anything else is invalid. This actually happens quite often but most people don't notice it because the receiver rarely picks up the ball and tries to run with it.

Here is the approved ruling related to this rule:
    Team A’s scrimmage kick is rolling beyond the neutral zone when B17 alerts his teammates to stay away from the ball by a “get away” signal at his waist or below. RULING: Invalid signal. The ball is dead by rule when either team recovers.

Indy I have a question scenario for you.

I was watching another game where the punt return man waved for a fair catch. When he caught the ball he ran the ball and he was flagged for attempting to to return a fair catch called punt.
    Now if the ball cant be advanced from the point of where the ball was fair caught anyway why is it a penalty???? Makes no sense.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

After a supposed fan through a yellow "flag" onto the field one of the refs said the home team would be given a penalty if it happened again. So what would stop fan from going to a road game, dressing like the opponent home fan and chuck stuff on the field?

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    We caught breaks too. Veldman caught a first down ball on the west sideline in the second half and it sure looked like he landed out of bounds to me.
    Negative, happened right in front of me. All you need is one foot down in college, which he had.

Quote Originally Posted by 01Pantherfan View Post
    What replay did you watch ??? the UNI player pushed him well out of bounds yes when they got to the railing Pachall threw a punch but Paschall threw more then one punch and if ANYTHING they both should of been booted
    I recorded the game so I went back to the play on my DVR. The angle wasnt that great but did a frame buy frame and it was really difficult to see whowas doing what. At the end I did see #7 make a move which was more of a push away than a punch but I could be wrong.

But I do agree that if PP threw a punch he should have gotten the boot. They really need to start using there heads.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Indy I have a question scenario for you.

I was watching another game where the punt return man waved for a fair catch. When he caught the ball he ran the ball and he was flagged for attempting to to return a fair catch called punt.
    Now if the ball cant be advanced from the point of where the ball was fair caught anyway why is it a penalty???? Makes no sense.
    If a player runs with the ball after it has become dead, they can get a delay of game foul (not just on fair catch kicks). It's not commonly flagged but the most likely time it will happen is when a returner signals for a valid fair catch, then catches the ball and runs. There are usually enough whistles blowing after he catches the ball that he rarely goes very far.

Rule 6-5-2
    No Team B player shall carry a caught or recovered ball more than two steps in any direction after a valid or invalid fair catch signal by any Team B player.
    PENALTY—Dead-ball foul. Five yards from the succeeding spot.

It doesn't say it's a DOG foul but the signal is DOG. The rule says 2 steps but most officials don't get too technical on this.

Facts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Mentality View Post
    Negative, happened right in front of me. All you need is one foot down in college, which he had.
    I dvr'ed the game. Veldman was OB. Replay showed on FSN was pretty obvious.
    Go Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The only signal a return man can give is a valid fair catch signal. They are reminded of that before every punt. The only valid signal they may give is to raise their arm above their head and wave it side to side. Anything else is invalid. This actually happens quite often but most people don't notice it because the receiver rarely picks up the ball and tries to run with it.

Here is the approved ruling related to this rule:
    Team A’s scrimmage kick is rolling beyond the neutral zone when B17 alerts his teammates to stay away from the ball by a “get away” signal at his waist or below. RULING: Invalid signal. The ball is dead by rule when either team recovers.
    Thanks for bringing this up. Shamen has been doing this all season long. It sure would be nice if one of the coaches had known this rule prior to game #6 of the season. It may seem technical to some, but if it's a rule, at least one of the coaches on an FCS staff should know it!